U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 25 days ago)

4,989 posts, read 4,539,885 times

Advertisements

Why is it so thinly populated compared to other western provinces? It is a beautiful province, I love driving through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 PM

6,466 posts, read 6,530,611 times
Its further from the coasts and waterways. Humans naturally like being closer to water. Its the same with Manitoba, and US interior states.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 PM

7,563 posts, read 6,760,361 times
I don't know if it's underrated or not. I know it's certainly muchly appreciated by those who are aware of its agricultural, mining and oil contributions to Canada and the rest of the world. But if it is underrated or overlooked by the general world wide public then maybe it's because the geography of it makes it colder and longer in its winters, which may make it seem undesirable. Which is why there aren't a lot of people there. Saskatchewan's overall small population together with less infrastructure in its more northern regions may make it seem less of a demanding and attention getting drama queen compared to some of the more highly populated provinces in Canada ( i.e. - Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta) that are all saying "Look at me! Look at me, I'm so special!"

Saskatchewan and Manitoba both have oodles of waterways and many, many, MANY big lakes and the further north you go in those provinces the bigger and more impressive all the lakes and rivers get so I don't think those provinces can be underrated because of lack of water resources.

For that matter, there isn't one tiny little bit of Canada that can be underrated for its water resources. The whole country has more water and millions more lakes than any other country or even any other entire continent in the world. For example, the water that all of USA has is literally one single drop in a bucket full of water compared to the amount of water that covers Canada. And most of USA's single drop by comparison is in Alaska. Not even Russia, Siberia, northern Europe can compare with Canada's water resources (at least not at this time).

Old 08-15-2019, 04:56 AM

9,498 posts, read 18,528,417 times
DH and I were discussing maybe doing a ranch/horse back riding vacation next summer in 2020. After researching we found our best options in Western Canada with Alberta at the top of the list, Then we found this place in Saskatchewan, it looks amazing. I miss those big endless skies in the west. Saskatchewan seems to deliver on that in a big way, so I'm curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8iCHFjQ-jo&t=105s

Old 08-15-2019, 07:18 AM

22,230 posts, read 27,694,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Why is it so thinly populated compared to other western provinces? It is a beautiful province, I love driving through there.
I don't disagree that it is underrated or at least unappreciated in terms of its attractiveness. But as for population it basically has about as many people as Manitoba.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't disagree that it is underrated or at least unappreciated in terms of its attractiveness. But as for population it basically has about as many people as Manitoba.
That's true. I got a wrong population number. It has about 300,000 more than I thought.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
DH and I were discussing maybe doing a ranch/horse back riding vacation next summer in 2020. After researching we found our best options in Western Canada with Alberta at the top of the list, Then we found this place in Saskatchewan, it looks amazing. I miss those big endless skies in the west. Saskatchewan seems to deliver on that in a big way, so I'm curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8iCHFjQ-jo&t=105s
Yes Southern Saskatchewan really surprised me, they have some beautiful scenery. A ranching vacation sounds fund. I haven't been horseback riding in a very long time, but I want to try it.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 AM

22,230 posts, read 27,694,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That's true. I got a wrong population number. It has about 300,000 more than I thought.
It's interesting though how the population is distributed differently between MB and SK.

MB has around 80% of the population concentrated in and around Winnipeg. That leaves 400,000 people spread out across the entire rest of the province.

SK has about half the population concentrated in two cities both of which are much smaller than Winnipeg. And then has maybe 600,000 people spread out across the rest of the province.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 AM

280 posts, read 229,855 times
Compared to nearby US states, Saskatchewan is actually relatively significant for Canada. 1.1 million at last count with two mid-sized cities that are larger than any city in the Dakotas, Montana or Wyoming. I believe the growth rate is one of the faster ones in the country.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:42 AM

8,691 posts, read 11,210,004 times
That's because a huge portion of Manitoba isn't good for much, as it's part of the Shield. Saskatchewan has good farmland about as far north as you can go before you run into the edge of the Shield and infinite lakes. The last remnants of civilization in Saskatchewan are further south than Edmonton, leaving over half the province essentially wild and uninhabited. That's over 125,000 square miles. Bigger than New Mexico, or Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada