U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2019, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Reputation: 7436

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We are going to fight over the first heroin injection site? This is a point of pride?
No one is disputing who had the first injection site. That is known. The point, again, was to counter the statement made that Vancouver does nothing for it's homeless, many of whom are drug addicts.

There is no pride in having the need for injection sites, but there is some pride in knowing that some people care enough to open a site and fight the federal government hard to keep it open, and were basing their actions on science and not on fear mongering. Ya, so some pride we did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We don't. But it defies logic that in a metro that is less than 20% anglophone that 60-70% of the homeless people would be anglophone. Anglophones are not disproportionately poor and destitute here.
So it's an assumption. I'd like to see a study, if there is one, on homeless populations in Canada, and how they move about, or even if they do, but just become homeless after they have arrived, since I don't think homeless people have the means to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,583 posts, read 6,773,674 times
Reputation: 14976
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
The percentage of homeless who are anglos is extremely disproportionate to their piece of the population in Quebec.

It is run of the mill to meet drug-addicted Vancouverites and Ontarians on the streets of Montreal.

Sadly, it is the norm.

Many come seeking the higher quality of life and superior social programs offered in Quebec.

So if the higher quality of life and social programs offered are so superior then why are there still any homeless people there?

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
5,001 posts, read 4,548,943 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No one is disputing who had the first injection site. That is known. The point, again, was to counter the statement made that Vancouver does nothing for it's homeless, many of whom are drug addicts.

There is no pride in having the need for injection sites, but there is some pride in knowing that some people care enough to open a site and fight the federal government hard to keep it open, and were basing their actions on science and not on fear mongering. Ya, so some pride we did that.
Why is heroin use such a big problem in Vancouver? Obviously there are drugs in every city, but why is this particular drug so popular Vancouver? In the 90s it was in the top 3 urban areas for the highest heroin use in North America. Even now it leads the country in opiode overdoses. It would be interesting to know the history behind it.

I remember Chinatown residents were pissed off about safe injection sites. It was all over the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 PM
 
18,543 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Reputation: 13585
Montreal homeless as discussed by the results of two formal counts taken:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5092937/m...s-in-montreal/

Inuit and First Nations make up a disproportionate number of homeless in Montreal, was one finding.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ront-1.4635682

Montreal is at least trying to identify and study the various causes or conditions leading to these people ending up on the streets.

Are other cities across Canada making any/the same/ or better attempts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,252 posts, read 27,720,986 times
Reputation: 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
So it's an assumption. I'd like to see a study, if there is one, on homeless populations in Canada, and how they move about, or even if they do, but just become homeless after they have arrived,.

It's an assumption based on something that's obvious to anyone who spends a decent amount of time in downtown Montreal. Just like I don't need to show stats that show that the Montreal Canadiens are the most popular hockey team, or that temperatures will be below freezing most of the time in January.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
since I don't think homeless people have the means to travel.


More than you might think. (We're not talking about flying first class.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,873 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Reputation: 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
So if the higher quality of life and social programs offered are so superior then why are there still any homeless people there?

.
Good question. Another good question is why is Quebec losing population in terms of Inter-provincial migration. Clearly not everyone in the R.O.C recognizes these superior Q.O.L measures and social programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interp...tion_in_Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,252 posts, read 27,720,986 times
Reputation: 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Good question. Another good question is why is Quebec losing population in terms of Inter-provincial migration. Clearly not everyone in the R.O.C recognizes these superior Q.O.L measures and social programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interp...tion_in_Canada
For some people, so-called "superior QOL measures and social programs" don't outweigh the (negative, for them) fact that society functions primarily in French. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,873 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Reputation: 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For some people, so-called "superior QOL measures and social programs" don't outweigh the (negative, for them) fact that society functions primarily in French. Simple as that.
Yes but isn't the argument made by some that there is a disproportionate number of homeless anglos? I guess they aren't concerned about the fact that the society functions primarily in French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Why is heroin use such a big problem in Vancouver? Obviously there are drugs in every city, but why is this particular drug so popular Vancouver? In the 90s it was in the top 3 urban areas for the highest heroin use in North America. Even now it leads the country in opiode overdoses. It would be interesting to know the history behind it.

I remember Chinatown residents were pissed off about safe injection sites. It was all over the news.
It's a port city is the first thing that comes to mind, and I assume the further it has to travel and the more people involved wanting to be paid that the price goes up? I'm not really sure, and it doesn't explain why some cities that aren't port cities have huge heroin issues as well.

Since the beginning, Vancouver had opium dens, so it's not new.

Not being " in the know " of how or why certain drugs appeal to certain people, I'm not sure I can answer that question.

There is now more than one site and they are a huge success in saving lives of the people that go there, but as you probably know, fentanyl is now the killer, and it's not the just the homeless. I read somewhere that middle-income and higher people have died from it because it was in ecstasy and cocaine. These people I'm assuming don't identify with street people and probably had a false sense of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top