U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2019, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Reputation: 7436

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Montreal homeless as discussed by the results of two formal counts taken:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5092937/m...s-in-montreal/

Inuit and First Nations make up a disproportionate number of homeless in Montreal, was one finding.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ront-1.4635682

Montreal is at least trying to identify and study the various causes or conditions leading to these people ending up on the streets.

Are other cities across Canada making any/the same/ or better attempts?
Yes they are. Besides counts, and outreach programs, and housing ( some of which is empty because some refuse to go ) studies have been done in Vancouver.


https://vancouver.ca/people-programs...r-housing.aspx

"Homelessness is a symptom of other underlying problems. An estimated 80% of homeless people suffer a chronic health issue. 49% have an addiction and 34% suffer from mental illness. 31% of homeless people are of First Nations descent (whereas First Nations comprise 3% of the overall regional population). An estimated 40% of homeless people were previously in foster care, and 40% have previously been in the criminal justice system. 70% of homeless people report past trauma or abuse."

https://www.homelesshub.ca/resource/...etro-vancouver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,583 posts, read 6,773,674 times
Reputation: 14976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes they are. Besides counts, and outreach programs, and housing ( some of which is empty because some refuse to go ) studies have been done in Vancouver.


https://vancouver.ca/people-programs...r-housing.aspx

"Homelessness is a symptom of other underlying problems. An estimated 80% of homeless people suffer a chronic health issue. 49% have an addiction and 34% suffer from mental illness. 31% of homeless people are of First Nations descent (whereas First Nations comprise 3% of the overall regional population). An estimated 40% of homeless people were previously in foster care, and 40% have previously been in the criminal justice system. 70% of homeless people report past trauma or abuse."

https://www.homelesshub.ca/resource/...etro-vancouver

Good report. Also from that same report it addresses something that was mentioned here earlier:
Quote:


Homelessness in Metro Vancouver must also be approached as a provincial and national issue, recognizing that the region has become a catchment area for other parts of the country with fewer economic opportunities and potentially less access to services and shelter. Blocking pathways into homelessness means not only addressing its root causes within Metro Vancouver, but also across British Columbia and Canada through partnership and collaboration across jurisdictions.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 PM
 
18,543 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Reputation: 13585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes they are. Besides counts, and outreach programs, and housing ( some of which is empty because some refuse to go ) studies have been done in Vancouver.


https://vancouver.ca/people-programs...r-housing.aspx

"Homelessness is a symptom of other underlying problems. An estimated 80% of homeless people suffer a chronic health issue. 49% have an addiction and 34% suffer from mental illness. 31% of homeless people are of First Nations descent (whereas First Nations comprise 3% of the overall regional population). An estimated 40% of homeless people were previously in foster care, and 40% have previously been in the criminal justice system. 70% of homeless people report past trauma or abuse."

https://www.homelesshub.ca/resource/...etro-vancouver
Thanks for the answer Nat. Good info to know. Sad stuff but good to know regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,252 posts, read 27,720,986 times
Reputation: 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yes but isn't the argument made by some that there is a disproportionate number of homeless anglos? I guess they aren't concerned about the fact that the society functions primarily in French.
Homeless people I gather would only be a tiny fraction of both in-migrants and out-migrants. Look at the post I was responding to - he was talking about overall interprovincial migration figures. 99% of these people are not homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Status: "Life goes on..." (set 15 hours ago)
 
5,515 posts, read 8,182,796 times
Reputation: 4331
Canada is very cold too. Sure, Toronto may have a balmy weather right now, but give it six months. That's one of the warmest parts of Canada (and most of its population is concentrated on its southern part for a very good reason). Its almost the opposite of Australia when one thinks about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Canada is very cold too. Sure, Toronto may have a balmy weather right now, but give it six months. That's one of the warmest parts of Canada (and most of its population is concentrated on its southern part for a very good reason). Its almost the opposite of Australia when one thinks about it.
Toronto is not the warmest part of Canada during winter. That would be Vancouver and southern Vancouver Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Thanks for the answer Nat. Good info to know. Sad stuff but good to know regardless.
Glad to answer, since one really has to counter some of the nonsense in this thread about Vancouver. Of course I doubt the posters actually believe what they posted, but just saw another opportunity to bash " english Canada" or more specifically Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 03:52 PM
 
18,543 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Reputation: 13585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Glad to answer, since one really has to counter some of the nonsense in this thread about Vancouver. Of course I doubt the posters actually believe what they posted, but just saw another opportunity to bash " english Canada" or more specifically Vancouver.
We must always consider the source and the natural propensity for that generic to find fault elsewhere but their own front porch. Akin to complaining about being ignored by the cute girls at the dance while showing up driving a Pinto, wearing two tone loafers and a saggy old cardigan with the obligatory gold chain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
5,001 posts, read 4,548,943 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Akin to complaining about being ignored by the cute girls at the dance while showing up driving a Pinto, wearing two tone loafers and a saggy old cardigan with the obligatory gold chain.
Are your speaking from personal experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,718 posts, read 11,221,409 times
Reputation: 10447
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We must always consider the source and the natural propensity for that generic to find fault elsewhere but their own front porch. Akin to complaining about being ignored by the cute girls at the dance while showing up driving a Pinto, wearing two tone loafers and a saggy old cardigan with the obligatory gold chain.
I was about to say, you have a problem with my chain and loafers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top