U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-21-2019, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,245 posts, read 1,794,358 times
Reputation: 2733

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I was about to say, you have a problem with my chain and loafers?
Interesting, Mike, that you would mention your chain and loafers; but you did not mention anything about a Pinto. Hmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2019, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I was about to say, you have a problem with my chain and loafers?
I knew it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,870 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Reputation: 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Homeless people I gather would only be a tiny fraction of both in-migrants and out-migrants. Look at the post I was responding to - he was talking about overall interprovincial migration figures. 99% of these people are not homeless.
No ofc not. It is pretty ridiculous to think people would go to QC to become homeless. It is a complicated matter and I get that. There are some pretty good posts in here with information as to the cause. Ofc, that wouldn't stop some from stirring the pot and making a serious issue, one to make jabs at certain groups just for fun. No shortage of those who like to take cheap jabs about many different groups in here really - but what to do, it is human nature.. I personally try to be less judgemental.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Montreal
462 posts, read 289,290 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Canada is very cold too. Sure, Toronto may have a balmy weather right now, but give it six months. That's one of the warmest parts of Canada (and most of its population is concentrated on its southern part for a very good reason). Its almost the opposite of Australia when one thinks about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Toronto is not the warmest part of Canada during winter. That would be Vancouver and southern Vancouver Island.

He said that Toronto is "one of the warmest parts", which is true.

In fact, all of the warmest parts of Canada are where everyone lives.

99% of the Canadian population lives on 1% of our land.

These are the areas that are about as far south as one can go in Canada without entering the U.S.

50% of Canadians live south of this red line:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Montreal
462 posts, read 289,290 times
Reputation: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
No ofc not. It is pretty ridiculous to think people would go to QC to become homeless. It is a complicated matter and I get that. There are some pretty good posts in here with information as to the cause. Ofc, that wouldn't stop some from stirring the pot and making a serious issue, one to make jabs at certain groups just for fun. No shortage of those who like to take cheap jabs about many different groups in here really - but what to do, it is human nature.. I personally try to be less judgemental.
People come to Quebec for superior social programs, less inequality, more affordable housing, and the higher quality of life.

There are so many homeless anglos from Vancouver, for example, it very common in Montreal.

British Columbia has far and away the highest level of inequality in Canada.

Also, their housing costs are absolutely unbelievable, they have more than double the murder rate, and their social programs pale in comparison to Quebec.

The generation of millenials are now in their 30's and have been completely betrayed in British Columbia, not to mention those coming after them.

We are more than happy to have them immigrate to Quebec and enjoy an economy where regular people can make it, and our higher quality of life.

The catch?

They need to learn French.

I admire all of the newcomers who attempt to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Québec
56 posts, read 31,130 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
People come to Quebec for superior social programs, less inequality, more affordable housing, and the higher quality of life.

There are so many homeless anglos from Vancouver, for example, it very common in Montreal.

British Columbia has far and away the highest level of inequality in Canada.

Also, their housing costs are absolutely unbelievable, they have more than double the murder rate, and their social programs pale in comparison to Quebec.

The generation of millenials are now in their 30's and have been completely betrayed in British Columbia, not to mention those coming after them.

We are more than happy to have them immigrate to Quebec and enjoy an economy where regular people can make it, and our higher quality of life.

The catch?

They need to learn French.

I admire all of the newcomers who attempt to do this.
The most crazy thing is that in BC the people were sold out. It is not the case that it is a kind of economic downturn. They just sold out that province to China. If we can say the truth.

https://www.fortunebuilders.com/one-...hinese-buyers/

This will never happen in Quebec. Are you crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,870 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Reputation: 3903
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
People come to Quebec for superior social programs, less inequality, more affordable housing, and the higher quality of life.

There are so many homeless anglos from Vancouver, for example, it very common in Montreal.

British Columbia has far and away the highest level of inequality in Canada.

Also, their housing costs are absolutely unbelievable, they have more than double the murder rate, and their social programs pale in comparison to Quebec.

The generation of millenials are now in their 30's and have been completely betrayed in British Columbia, not to mention those coming after them.

We are more than happy to have them immigrate to Quebec and enjoy an economy where regular people can make it, and our higher quality of life.

The catch?

They need to learn French.

I admire all of the newcomers who attempt to do this.
Superior social programs and language aside - Given its size, QC is simply not a good example of an Inter-Provincial in-migrant magnet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interp...tion_in_Canada

Fact is, like the R.O.C - your primary fuel for population growth IS immigration. I will admit housing costs in Toronto and Vancouver along with C.O.L is higher, but if the Montreal CMA keeps growing as it is, I see that changing.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/priced...-hit-1.4458452
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...cmhc-1.4925890

Quote:
Driven by increased demand and rising housing prices, Montreal's rental market has become increasingly competitive, leaving low-income families especially vulnerable.
A new report from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation shows the city — long viewed as a haven for cheap, roomy apartments — has seen its vacancy rate tighten for the second consecutive year.

The rate in the Montreal area dropped to 1.9 per cent in 2018, compared to 2.8 per cent a year earlier. The shortage is particularly acute for larger, two and three-bedroom apartments.
Housing advocates view anything below three per cent as concerning.
"The demand is so strong right now," said Francis Cortellino, an economist with CMHC.
I've said before, even though Montreal prides itself as being a mixed city - I don't think the City Counsellor is going to be able to stop the inevitable. Welcome to growth in the 21st century.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2019 at 10:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,250 posts, read 27,720,986 times
Reputation: 8713
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
People come to Quebec for superior social programs, less inequality, more affordable housing, and the higher quality of life.

There are so many homeless anglos from Vancouver, for example, it very common in Montreal.

British Columbia has far and away the highest level of inequality in Canada.

Also, their housing costs are absolutely unbelievable, they have more than double the murder rate, and their social programs pale in comparison to Quebec.

The generation of millenials are now in their 30's and have been completely betrayed in British Columbia, not to mention those coming after them.

We are more than happy to have them immigrate to Quebec and enjoy an economy where regular people can make it, and our higher quality of life.

The catch?

They need to learn French.

I admire all of the newcomers who attempt to do this.
I am not sure I agree with your underlying premise that there is anything resembling a demographic wave (even a tiny one of ROCers) moving to Quebec or even Montreal.


There is a tiny trickle of ROCer hipsters moving to Montreal areas like the Mile End but it's more than counter-balanced by the out-migration of their peers who've "been there done that" and move on to Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Halifax, etc.


Add to this the classic/historic outmigration of anglophones and anglicized allophones (which has slowed down a lot but still exists).


More generous social programs and cheaper housing can't outweigh the huge deal-breaker that is French for the vast majority of people.


So basically, fusion is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,718 posts, read 11,221,409 times
Reputation: 10447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Interesting, Mike, that you would mention your chain and loafers; but you did not mention anything about a Pinto. Hmmm....
If you could find a Pinto, I'd rock it. Preferably the wagon, it was less blowy-uppie/fiery death. But finding a 40 y.o. POS, I don't like your chances. I already drive the freaky car that no one knows. Honda Clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 07:11 AM
 
18,543 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Reputation: 13584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not sure I agree with your underlying premise that there is anything resembling a demographic wave (even a tiny one of ROCers) moving to Quebec or even Montreal.


There is a tiny trickle of ROCer hipsters moving to Montreal areas like the Mile End but it's more than counter-balanced by the out-migration of their peers who've "been there done that" and move on to Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Halifax, etc.


Add to this the classic/historic outmigration of anglophones and anglicized allophones (which has slowed down a lot but still exists).


More generous social programs and cheaper housing can't outweigh the huge deal-breaker that is French for the vast majority of people.


So basically, fusion is right.
Whoa! Who are you and what have you done with Acajack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top