U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 08:34 AM

69 posts, read 17,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The Great Canadian Inferiority Complex & Why Canada's Most Talented Are Fleeing to America

What I want to know is why do some people believe that Canada should be an identical clone of America just because it's a next door neighbour to America? Mexico is next door to America too, is Mexico also expected to be a clone of America? Is Mexico also accused of having an inferiority complex for not being like America?

If America was on the other side of the world from Canada would Canada still be criticized and accused of being inferior because it doesn't come up to American standards of everything that America is so greedy and aggressive and obsessive about? What about all the other countries in the world, do they have inferiority complexes too because they aren't just like America?

I don't believe there is any such thing as a so-called "Canadian Inferiority Complex", it's a false BS stereotype that was made up by mean-spirited people with low self esteem who were in a jealous snit because they are losers and failures who aren't good enough to meet their own expectations. They believe the BS because they want to believe it and it makes them feel better about themselves if they can preach the same BS and try to make other people feel worse about themselves. It's called mental abuse.

And I also don't believe that Canada's most talented people are "fleeing to America" (fleeing - such a melodramatic exaggeration), as if Canadians are all a bunch of refugees fleeing a war ravaged country. I see it more from the perspective that America is offering itself up and being taken advantage of by some of Canada's greediest, most cunning, clever and opportunistic fame & glory hounds (who also happen to be afraid of and incapable of dealing with Canada's climate).

America might have 9 times the population of Canada but it also has 9 times the suffering, fear and poorer quality of life, which I do not think is worth enduring for the sake of American style greed and glory.

To want to keep our most economically important individuals in Canada is not the same thing as making Canada a "identical clone of America".

Or to turn that around, we could make arguments that to lose Canada's most economically important individuals is not a "Canadian" trait.

Like at your Canada day parades I don't think people are celebrating losing the most talented people to the USA as a Canadian pastime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 AM

12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If you could find a Pinto, I'd rock it. Preferably the wagon, it was less blowy-uppie/fiery death. But finding a 40 y.o. POS, I don't like your chances. I already drive the freaky car that no one knows. Honda Clarity.
I was on the freeway in LA in 1980 or '81 and witnessed a Pinto catching fire. I was on a bus to Downey, and the man next to me was reading his newspaper, looked out the window and commented, " ah, another one", then went back to his newspaper as if nothing much had happened.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:09 AM

8,718 posts, read 11,221,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I was on the freeway in LA in 1980 or '81 and witnessed a Pinto catching fire. I was on a bus to Downey, and the man next to me was reading his newspaper, looked out the window and commented, " ah, another one", then went back to his newspaper as if nothing much had happened.
Total sidebar. The Pinto is famous for Ford's lawyers/actuaries doing the math that it was cheaper to pay out the wrongful death settlements than fix the fuel tank issue with a recall.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:47 PM

12,873 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whoa! Who are you and what have you done with Acajack?
I liked it too..

Old 08-22-2019, 05:31 PM

36 posts, read 8,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailfo2 View Post
Like at your Canada day parades I don't think people are celebrating losing the most talented people to the USA as a Canadian pastime.
Or maybe they are? ....Think about it.

Okay, okay, I'll stop now! ;

Last edited by Quebec Is My Country; 08-22-2019 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
To want to keep our most economically important individuals in Canada is not the same thing as making Canada a "identical clone of America".

Or to turn that around, we could make arguments that to lose Canada's most economically important individuals is not a "Canadian" trait.

There are going to be people who move to a place where there are more opportunities for career development and more money. Not everyone but yes, the U.S is a potent economic player on the world stage that has impact not just on Canada, but everywhere. We are right beside them, so it is going to be even more pronounced.

That all said, Canada is still doing well. We could do better but better is always relative. I personally prefer to stay here, even if I had the opportunity to make more money and excel in my career there. This country which is my home, mates well with my life. Family, friends and our values as a nation. I actually do feel a strong sense that what I do, play a role, a small role albeit but one nonetheless that benefits my city and my country. Human beings aren't always two dimensional!

Talent isn't just about outward migration either. Yes people leave but people come.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-6...lent-1.1170592

Quote:
Switzerland once again clinched the top spot in a global survey on fostering and attracting talent, in a top 10 list that includes Canada but not the U.S., and no Asian nations.
The country retained its title for the fifth consecutive year on the World Talent Ranking report published by IMD Business School, a result of its strong emphasis on skills training and education. Denmark and Norway were ranked second and third respectively in the poll, which was dominated by European countries.
While the U.S. didn’t make it to the top 10, it climbed four places to rank 12th. The U.K. slid two spots to 23. Canada was the only non-European country to feature among the top 10.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-22-2019 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 04:21 PM

462 posts, read 289,290 times
Quote:

You stand correct, but perhaps you are forgetting that anglo Canada carries an embedded inferiority complex. Some of this is tied to the failure to ever establish any kind of actual culture and in other ways to the stunningly late period through which Canada remained a backwoods colony under British tutelage. The mentality is there, and the junior league softball syndrome vis-à-vis the U.S. only helps it persist.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You stand correct, but perhaps you are forgetting that anglo Canada carries an embedded inferiority complex. Some of this is tied to the failure to ever establish any kind of actual culture and in other ways to the stunningly late period through which Canada remained a backwoods colony under British tutelage. The mentality is there, and the junior league softball syndrome vis-à-vis the U.S. only helps it persist.
Oh just admit your love PB.. The U.S is too big and powerful and wouldn't really love you in any way other than an occasional fling. English Canada is the real deal stable BF. Stop psychoanalyzing him - he's been there for you through all the good and the bad - even when the arrogant French motherland makes fun of your accent and think of it as some sort of comedy

Old 08-25-2019, 06:59 PM

462 posts, read 289,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh just admit your love PB.. The U.S is too big and powerful and wouldn't really love you in any way other than an occasional fling. English Canada is the real deal stable BF. Stop psychoanalyzing him - he's been there for you through all the good and the bad - even when the arrogant French motherland makes fun of your accent and think of it as some sort of comedy
"English Canada" is frankly none of my concern.

As long as they continue to provide value to Quebec I'll support keeping them.

Once they have nothing more to offer I will support unilateral independence.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
"English Canada" is frankly none of my concern.

As long as they continue to provide value to Quebec I'll support keeping them.

Once they have nothing more to offer I will support unilateral independence.
Well if English Canada provides value to you, they are frankly of your concern. You always admit that as long as Quebec can have this sort of parasitic relationship off of R.O.C that benefits Quebec, than you will always support unification. Frankly, is there ever going to come a time where QC doesn't 'need' R.O.C? I mean right now, Quebec's economy is doing better than it has in a very long time. On the surface, this could be the best years QC has to decouple.

So identify how the R.O.C provides value, and what would need to change that would render the R.O.C no longer of value? Presumably at that time, you would switch over to separatist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada