U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2019, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,729 posts, read 11,230,925 times
Reputation: 10455

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

I remember the sheer hypocrisy of this couple always talking about how lucky they were to live in Canada but at the same time playing the Green Card lottery every year to try to emigrate to the US.....
I don't disagree with most of your points, however Canadians aren't eligible for the Green Card lottery. Real estate is a false equivalency as well. The Washington Okanagen is not equivalent to the Canadian Okanagan. There's just nowhere like it that Canadians from BC or Alberta can reside and work. There's really no US equivalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2019, 04:27 PM
 
18,554 posts, read 10,566,571 times
Reputation: 13596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Hold on everybody. The resident Francophone expert BruSan has weighed in. Case closed!

Give yourself ten deep breaths and reduce your pulse rate a bit and you'll live longer. An expert is someone noted by all to be an authority on a particular subject,

I've made no such claim. You're the only one making that claim on my behalf …. thank you, much appreciated, although I'll be the first to deny having such credentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 04:35 PM
 
18,554 posts, read 10,566,571 times
Reputation: 13596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"They don't even speak real French for chrissakes!" in reference to Quebec, or French-speaking Canadians, is of course the classic dismissal of Canadian bilingualism, Quebec language policies or the relevance of teaching French to non-francophones in Canada.

Of course, if Québécois don't speak real or proper French, then Anglo-Canadians and Americans don't speak proper or real English either.
BINGO! How did this teeny irrelevant linguistic factoid become in any way a relevant particle of what is stated in the thread title?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 04:47 PM
 
18,554 posts, read 10,566,571 times
Reputation: 13596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Obviously we are not talking about the British or (mostly) about the Euro French.

But in Canada the perceived quality of Quebec French is regularly used as a political argument against a whole bunch of stuff.

I mean, people did it on here a page or two ago.
A/J; considering the wording in the thread title and its implied intent; why would you suppose anyone would resort to the relatively insignificant or "petty"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 04:58 PM
 
3,167 posts, read 2,107,595 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I don't disagree with most of your points, however Canadians aren't eligible for the Green Card lottery. Real estate is a false equivalency as well. The Washington Okanagen is not equivalent to the Canadian Okanagan. There's just nowhere like it that Canadians from BC or Alberta can reside and work. There's really no US equivalent.

That couple had Italian passports so they play it using these.

I visited extensively the Canadian Okanagan and it is definitely comparable to many places in Eastern Washington...it feels "special" for BC residents simply because there are more limited choices with that kind of landscape (sunny and not too mountainous) compared to the US northwest....

I would actually argue that at least in the Tri-Cities specifically, there are a modicum of high paying jobs and career opportunities compared to Penticton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,729 posts, read 11,230,925 times
Reputation: 10455
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
That couple had Italian passports so they play it using those.

I visited extensively the Canadian Okanagan is definitely comparable to many places in Eastern Washington.

I would actually argue that at least in the Tri-Cities specifically there are a modicum of high paying jobs.
Not for Canadians. The area is geographically comparable, but not status wise for residency compared to even the Columbia River Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 05:09 PM
 
3,167 posts, read 2,107,595 times
Reputation: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Not for Canadians. The area is geographically comparable, but not status wise for residency compared to even the Columbia River Valley.

Frankly I do not give a hoot about "status"....similar landscape, similar shoeboxe houses, same gentle hills, lakes and rivers, same nice vineyards and fruit orchards around, 7 to 1 or even more price differences...no thanks....

Not even Hood River reaches that kind of pricing for similar properties...far from it....and we are talking Penticton, not even Kelowna....

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-04-2019 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Montreal
464 posts, read 290,499 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Threads like this pop up regularly in the Canadian forum...

The Canadian Inferiority complex....does it exists?? I don't know, I think I experienced some form of it (in many cases it shows up as a feigned superiority complex)

Canadians consume enormous amount of American culture for sure.


I'm an immigrant to both countries (I'm originally from Europe, Italy specifically) and to me at the end of the day in the things that matters, the US offers a vast superior experience....fellow Canadians will be ready to post statistics about this and about that, the usual 2 weeks mandated holidays (like it's something impressive) and so on but, with my pocketbook, there is simply no comparison, Canada is on the losing side when it comes to attractiveness.

In a nutshell

- Canada offers Western Europe or close to Western Europe wages with the American hire and fire business culture....at this point I rather go for more money...if you think Canadians are not overworked in many companies you live in some sort of alternative reality, conversely, in the US you can find work-life balance if you want to...there are choices and opportunities.

- Due to the sheer difference in economic clout the US offers many more opportunities, I do not think even the most patriotic Canadian is going to dispute this, I hope.

- The US is much more diverse both from a cultural standpoint and geographically (after all, a common goal of well off Canadian seniors is to own a property in southern US for the winter)...and if we talk geographically neither can hold a candle to Europe anyway.

- Among expat professionals, in my circle of friends and acquaintances, Canada is the place to go when the US is not an option...sorry but this is the way it is, sure you can find cases when someone did choose Canada...there are always exceptions.

- Canada has still an out of control real estate market that, at the end of the day, makes everybody poorer....not long ago I was talking to my friend on Skype, she was looking at property prices thinking about relocating to the Okanagan (Penticton, etc..) from Vancouver....I was shocked to see that literally tear down shoeboxes not even on the water had still an asking price in the high 300 and even going over 400....I said "a property like that in a comparable place would not go for more than 100 grand in the US"....she did not believe me...actually I was wrong, I immediately did look at Zillow and found quite few similarly sized homes (and actually in better shapes) in the Tri-Cities or Chelan close to downtown and at walking distance from the water priced as little as 50K...saying that she was shocked it's an understatement.


Canada is a successful, peaceful and beautiful country for sure and it may be more desirable to many people, but the US is not the hellhole that some Canadians try to depict to feel better about themselves.

I remember the sheer hypocrisy of this couple always talking about how lucky they were to live in Canada but at the same time playing the Green Card lottery every year to try to emigrate to the US.....
Very interesting, saturno!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Montreal
464 posts, read 290,499 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The U.S Canada analogy is completely ridiculous! Canada is not part of the U.S. What Canada 'benefits' from the U.S is via trade and mutually beneficial defense treaties that both agreed to. A trade relationship by the way that is fairly even - certainly not 'parasitic' - otherwise Canada would export a lot more to the U.S than vice versa - not the case. Last I looked, Canada and the U.S has a balanced trading relationship - that is not mooching.

That being said, if Canada portrayed itself in the same manner you are for QC- as this sort of 'parasitic' relationship, than I would totally understand a backlash. I don't know if you are being honest or not, but how you represent your Province and her people to the rest of the country is just horrible. I don't think any group, be it English Canadian, American, Dutch you name it, would want to be equated as a 'watermelon' willingly wanting to be devoured. What this country should be about, are a collection of peoples wanting to make it better for the common good of the country as a whole, not 'just' one part. If the majority of Quebecers are 'only' it this for their 'own' nation, at the expense of the greater nation as a whole, than it time to move on. It is like any relationship, it takes two parties. If one isn't willingly going to contribute than really, It is truly time for a divorce.

Truth is though PB - i'm not convinced the majority of the Province feels the same way you do.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ence-1.3788110



Awww poor PB - 62 percent of Quebecers are either proud or very proud to be 'Canadian' - Of the 38 percent who are not, most are probably firmly separatist and have that independent goal for QC. To those they have my respect as they aren't waffling on the issue. They are simply a minority group wanting a different path that the majority is preventing. So I still think you are in such a small, unique minority. Sorry bud, but your views appear, from an outsiders p.o.v as an outlier among your own people it would seem.
Hello again, fusion2.

You really are giving BruSan a run for his money as my favorite anglo poster.

Give me a minute to wrap a few things up, and I'll be back with you shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Montreal
464 posts, read 290,499 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The U.S Canada analogy is completely ridiculous! Canada is not part of the U.S.
Which is what makes it all the more embarrassing and parasitic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That being said, if Canada portrayed itself in the same manner you are for QC- as this sort of 'parasitic' relationship, than I would totally understand a backlash. I don't know if you are being honest or not, but how you represent your Province and her people to the rest of the country is just horrible. I don't think any group, be it English Canadian, American, Dutch you name it, would want to be equated as a 'watermelon' willingly wanting to be devoured.
So you liked the watermelon analogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What this country should be about, are a collection of peoples wanting to make it better for the common good of the country as a whole, not 'just' one part. If the majority of Quebecers are 'only' it this for their 'own' nation, at the expense of the greater nation as a whole, than it time to move on. It is like any relationship, it takes two parties. If one isn't willingly going to contribute than really, It is truly time for a divorce.
That's a very Kumbaya outlook, if I may say so myself.

In real life every province operates out of it's own benefit.

Albertans look out for themselves, they are represented by Albertan politicians, who then attempt to influence the federal government in their direction.

There is nothing extraordinary about this, fusion2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Truth is though PB - i'm not convinced the majority of the Province feels the same way you do.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ence-1.3788110

Awww poor PB - 62 percent of Quebecers are either proud or very proud to be 'Canadian' - Of the 38 percent who are not, most are probably firmly separatist and have that independent goal for QC.
What's the problem? I am one of those proud Canadians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
To those they have my respect as they aren't waffling on the issue. They are simply a minority group wanting a different path that the majority is preventing. So I still think you are in such a small, unique minority. Sorry bud, but your views appear, from an outsiders p.o.v as an outlier among your own people it would seem.
Tonight I will hardly sleep, knowing that fusion2 does not approve of my City-Data politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top