U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 PM

24 posts, read 4,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
All the way back to the 1800's Canadians have been documented as having a staple inferiority complex vs. their more famous American brothers. In 1949 the Empire Club of Canada addressed this topic in a speech titled "That Inferiority Complex".

"Where the American in general is responsive to every new development afoot in the United States-the Canadian in general remains aloof, reserved, disinterested in significant happenings within his country.."

It has been argued that the complex is the result of Canada's failure to develop a real culture compared to the world's nations and especially the sibling next door. "But the failure to develop an important body of Canadian literature is due to an even more fundamental failure".

Today the complex stays with us and is greater than ever. It has even entered national matters of politics. Barack Obama's diplomats suggested that Canada should be the first country he visits because it would "do much to diminish -- temporarily at least -- Canada's habitual inferiority complex vis-a-vis the U.S. and its chronic but accurate complaint that the U.S. pays far less attention to Canada than Canada does to [the U.S.]." So even Barack Obama took this complex quite seriously.

Despite Canada being a fairly successful place as far as the countries of the world goes, many Canadians find it hard not to constantly compare themselves to Americans. A comparison that will in the large majority of cases only feed the inferiority complex and foster a juvenile need to strike back at the imaginary belligerent.

The desperate need for attention is also debilitating our country and leading to very real economic problems. There is the subject of the well-known brain drain, the phenomenon of Canada's best and brightest moving to America, especially in fields that are the most important to future development. Nearly 2/3 of software engineers move to the U.S. among other essential fields.

Mod cut: copyrighted images.

The truth is that most Canadians with the option move to America at their first available opportunity. Even Wayne Gretzky has been called out for his supposed abandonment of Canada. But in this case we are subsidising universities that are training talented professionals for the American market. "America or bust" is the thought process. How does that make sense for Canada?

The question is, what can be done to get Canadians to develop a confidence that should be inherent to a G8 country? Why do we have to compare ourselves to America at every opportunity? How do we stop the brain drain that is leaving Canada without any real tech companies or innovation of significance? When will we be capable of creating a Canadian Microsoft, a Canadian Google?
Actually Canada is just doing fine. We dont need to change anything based off of inflated statistics. Canada is a G8 country one of the biggest oil producing countries a world leader in technological innovation and people from all around the world know of us as a model of righteous government. Also Canadian soldiers are among the worlds most famous. We also led the world by building the arm for the last space shuttle.

Your disdain for your people is showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 11:27 PM

479 posts, read 290,326 times
Quote:

The desperate need for attention is also debilitating our country and leading to very real economic problems. There is the subject of the well-known brain drain, the phenomenon of Canada's best and brightest moving to America, especially in fields that are the most important to future development. Nearly 2/3 of software engineers move to the U.S. among other essential fields.

Mod cut: copyrighted images.

The truth is that most Canadians with the option move to America at their first available opportunity. Even Wayne Gretzky has been called out for his supposed abandonment of Canada. But in this case we are subsidising universities that are training talented professionals for the American market. "America or bust" is the thought process. How does that make sense for Canada?

The question is, what can be done to get Canadians to develop a confidence that should be inherent to a G8 country? Why do we have to compare ourselves to America at every opportunity? How do we stop the brain drain that is leaving Canada without any real tech companies or innovation of significance? When will we be capable of creating a Canadian Microsoft, a Canadian Google?
Itís a shame, Iím about to start a STEM degree at a Canadian school. Despite its issues I love Canada, I truly do, and Iím grateful for the educational opportunity itís giving me, but unfortunately when I graduate Iíll probably have to go back to America if I want to find a good job. I donít think Canadaís ďbest and brightestĒ flee to America because itís objectively better than Canada, but because of the economic opportunity down there.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:12 AM

12,873 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
It’s a shame, I’m about to start a STEM degree at a Canadian school. Despite its issues I love Canada, I truly do, and I’m grateful for the educational opportunity it’s giving me, but unfortunately when I graduate I’ll probably have to go back to America if I want to find a good job. I don’t think Canada’s “best and brightest” flee to America because it’s objectively better than Canada, but because of the economic opportunity down there.
I think people should be more open minded about economic opportunities in Canada. There are a lot of factors to consider and salary is just one. The company, the opportunity specific to your training and education, and really your life circumstances. Whilst a student here, you could end up meeting someone. You could just start to develop a feeling of being home and that it jives with you.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-17-2019 at 12:26 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think people should be more open minded about economic opportunities in Canada. There are a lot of factors to consider and salary is just one. The company, the opportunity and really your life circumstances. Whilst a student here, you could end up meeting someone. You could just start to develop a feeling of being home and that it jives with you.
I donít think Canada doesnít have any good economic opportunities, but America has a much bigger job market because itís 9 times more populous, so Iím more likely to find a job there. That said, I appreciate how welcoming Canada is towards international students (especially in STEM) and I would absolutely stay in Canada if I can find a meaningful job there, especially if I end up marrying a Canadian haha!

Old 08-17-2019, 07:19 AM

12,873 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I donít think Canada doesnít have any good economic opportunities, but America has a much bigger job market because itís 9 times more populous, so Iím more likely to find a job there. That said, I appreciate how welcoming Canada is towards international students (especially in STEM) and I would absolutely stay in Canada if I can find a meaningful job there, especially if I end up marrying a Canadian haha!
Well sure it has a larger job market and within the tech industry, a generally wealthier and bigger field of tech companies. All said, things are growing here and sometimes what holds true for a macro level situation, is something more abstract than how things apply from person to person. Just be open minded and ofc - make the best decision for you!

Old 08-17-2019, 11:58 AM

7,583 posts, read 6,773,674 times
The Great Canadian Inferiority Complex & Why Canada's Most Talented Are Fleeing to America

What I want to know is why do some people believe that Canada should be an identical clone of America just because it's a next door neighbour to America? Mexico is next door to America too, is Mexico also expected to be a clone of America? Is Mexico also accused of having an inferiority complex for not being like America?

If America was on the other side of the world from Canada would Canada still be criticized and accused of being inferior because it doesn't come up to American standards of everything that America is so greedy and aggressive and obsessive about? What about all the other countries in the world, do they have inferiority complexes too because they aren't just like America?

I don't believe there is any such thing as a so-called "Canadian Inferiority Complex", it's a false BS stereotype that was made up by mean-spirited people with low self esteem who were in a jealous snit because they are losers and failures who aren't good enough to meet their own expectations. They believe the BS because they want to believe it and it makes them feel better about themselves if they can preach the same BS and try to make other people feel worse about themselves. It's called mental abuse.

And I also don't believe that Canada's most talented people are "fleeing to America" (fleeing - such a melodramatic exaggeration), as if Canadians are all a bunch of refugees fleeing a war ravaged country. I see it more from the perspective that America is offering itself up and being taken advantage of by some of Canada's greediest, most cunning, clever and opportunistic fame & glory hounds (who also happen to be afraid of and incapable of dealing with Canada's climate).

America might have 9 times the population of Canada but it also has 9 times the suffering, fear and poorer quality of life, which I do not think is worth enduring for the sake of American style greed and glory.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-17-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 PM

12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The Great Canadian Inferiority Complex & Why Canada's Most Talented Are Fleeing to America

What I want to know is why do some people believe that Canada should be an identical clone of America just because it's a next door neighbour to America? Mexico is next door to America too, is Mexico also expected to be a clone of America? Is Mexico also accused of having an inferiority complex for not being like America?

If America was on the other side of the world from Canada would Canada still be criticized and accused of being inferior because it doesn't come up to American standards of everything that America is so greedy and aggressive and obsessive about? What about all the other countries in the world, do they have inferiority complexes too because they aren't just like America?

I don't believe there is any such thing as a so-called "Canadian Inferiority Complex", it's a false BS stereotype that was made up by mean-spirited people with low self esteem who were in a jealous snit because they are losers and failures who aren't good enough to meet their own expectations. They believe the BS because they want to believe it and it makes them feel better about themselves if they can preach the same BS and make other people feel worse about themselves. It's called mental abuse.

And I also don't believe that Canada's most talented people are "fleeing to America" (fleeing - such a melodramatic exaggeration), as if Canadians are all a bunch of refugees fleeing a war ravaged country. I see it more from the perspective that America is offering itself up and being taken advantage of by some of Canada's greediest, most cunning, clever and opportunistic fame & glory hounds (who also happen to be afraid of and incapable of dealing with Canada's climate).

America might have 9 times the population of Canada but it also has 9 times the suffering, fear and poorer quality of life, which I do not think is worth enduring for the sake of American style greed and glory.

Agreed.

Can't win for trying, as the saying goes.

I've been accused of having it, just for standing up for Canada. That somehow defending, or correcting a person's view of Canada is a sign of over compensating, and therefore, I must feel inferior.

Odd, really odd.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I don't believe there is any such thing as a so-called "Canadian Inferiority Complex", it's a false BS stereotype that was made up by mean-spirited people with low self esteem who were in a jealous snit because they are losers and failures who aren't good enough to meet their own expectations. They believe the BS because they want to believe it and it makes them feel better about themselves if they can preach the same BS and make other people feel worse about themselves. It's called mental abuse.

~90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the border. Canada and America also have a shared language (outside Quebec) and strong cultural, economic, and political ties. Despite all this, Canada has managed to hold its own for over 150 years, even though itís right by the worldís superpower. I think thatís very admirable! Canada is not and should not be an identical clone of America; itís a different country with a different history. America was founded through rebellion, while Canada gained independence peacefully (not to say Canada is/was inherently peaceful; both America and Canada had residential schools and WWII internment camps). America values ďLife, Liberty, and the Pursuit of HappinessĒ, while Canada values ďPeace, Order, and Good GovernmentĒ. I personally find Canada to be gentler, more relaxed, and less intense than America, which is a breath of fresh air for an anxiety-prone American like me haha.

Also many American loyalists fled to Canada after the war because they were being mistreated. Then some Americans moved to Canada to avoid being drafted during the Vietnam War, some moved during the Iraq war, and maybe some will even move because of Trump? Yes, some Canadians move down South because they prefer America, but some Americans move up North out of frustration with America and/or because they genuinely love Canada. Having just moved from America to Canada, I honestly donít WANT Canada to be a clone of America.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:08 PM

18,543 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Quote:

I don't believe there is any such thing as a so-called "Canadian Inferiority Complex", it's a false BS stereotype that was made up by mean-spirited people with low self esteem who were in a jealous snit because they are losers and failures who aren't good enough to meet their own expectations. They believe the BS because they want to believe it and it makes them feel better about themselves if they can preach the same BS and try to make other people feel worse about themselves. It's called mental abuse.

A great lot of us have thought what you've put to bandwidth. A great number of those nitwits that repeat the "inferiority nonsense" reside in one region and delight in finding anything they can think of to elevate themselves.

If truth be known, the bulk of Canadians suffer from a "superiority complex" as regards the U.S. of A. as those things often held up by Americans as indicators of their superiority have over many decades been shown to be just smoke and mirrors, grand words with little factual foundation.

Freedom House among others that perform year after year measurements of all countries freedoms, for just one area we routinely hear the U.S. being superior, shows the complete opposite with Canada leading them and maintaining 1 point shy of a perfect score while their score is dropping year after year.

Quality of life index, happiness index, any number of actual 'rubber-hitting-the-road' indicators have shown Canada doing better.

We must remember to try harder to show some charitable humility.

Last edited by BruSan; 08-17-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 05:20 PM

24 posts, read 4,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A great lot of us have thought what you've put to bandwidth. A great number of those nitwits that repeat the "inferiority nonsense" reside in one region and delight in finding anything they can think of to elevate themselves.

If truth be known, the bulk of Canadians suffer from a "superiority complex" as regards the U.S. of A. as those things often held up by Americans as indicators of their superiority have over many decades been shown to be just smoke and mirrors, grand words with little factual foundation.

Freedom House among others that perform year after year measurements of all countries freedoms, for just one area we routinely hear the U.S. being superior, shows the complete opposite with Canada leading them and maintaining 1 point shy of a perfect score while their score is dropping year after year.

Quality of life index, happiness index, any number of actual 'rubber-hitting-the-road' indicators have shown Canada doing better.

We must remember to try harder to show some charitable humility.
The USA is a third world country compared to Canada.

The reality is these separatists will say anything to undermine Canada. Ungrateful doesn't begin to describe it. Studies prove them wrong.

I'll stick to my higher quality of life and higher per capita GDP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada