U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 PM

8,910 posts, read 5,556,820 times

Advertisements

[quote=limelightkid;55949614]All the way back to the 1800's Canadians have been documented as having a staple inferiority complex vs. their more famous American brothers. In 1949 the Empire Club of Canada addressed this topic in a speech titled "That Inferiority Complex".

"Where the American in general is responsive to every new development afoot in the United States-the Canadian in general remains aloof, reserved, disinterested in significant happenings within his country.."

It has been argued that the complex is the result of Canada's failure to develop a real culture compared to the world's nations and especially the sibling next door. "But the failure to develop an important body of Canadian literature is due to an even more fundamental failure".

Today the complex stays with us and is greater than ever. It has even entered national matters of politics. Barack Obama's diplomats suggested that Canada should be the first country he visits because it would "do much to diminish -- temporarily at least -- Canada's habitual inferiority complex vis-a-vis the U.S. and its chronic but accurate complaint that the U.S. pays far less attention to Canada than Canada does to [the U.S.]." So even Barack Obama took this complex quite seriously.

Despite Canada being a fairly successful place as far as the countries of the world goes, many Canadians find it hard not to constantly compare themselves to Americans. A comparison that will in the large majority of cases only feed the inferiority complex and foster a juvenile need to strike back at the imaginary belligerent.

The desperate need for attention is also debilitating our country and leading to very real economic problems. There is the subject of the well-known brain drain, the phenomenon of Canada's best and brightest moving to America, especially in fields that are the most important to future development. Nearly 2/3 of software engineers move to the U.S. among other essential fields.

Mod cut: copyrighted images.

The truth is that most Canadians with the option move to America at their first available opportunity. Even Wayne Gretzky has been called out for his supposed abandonment of Canada. But in this case we are subsidising universities that are training talented professionals for the American market. "America or bust" is the thought process. How does that make sense for Canada?

The question is, what can be done to get Canadians to develop a confidence that should be inherent to a G8 country? Why do we have to compare ourselves to America at every opportunity? How do we stop the brain drain that is leaving Canada without any real tech companies or innovation of significance? When will we be capable of creating a Canadian Microsoft, a Canadian Google?[/QUOTE]

There is an old saying, if you can't beat them, join them. I don't blame Canadians for wanting to advance their careers, and to make top dollars for what they do. Why not take advantage of living right next door the world tech giant without being all that far away from home. People from all across North America, should enjoy all the advantages of living in North America. In order to create a Canadian version of Silicon Valley, you have to be willing to pay top dollars, in order to attract top people from around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 04:17 AM

22,337 posts, read 27,792,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
What I'm saying is that I don't understand why a bad motive would be imputed to an English speaking Canadian when the same comment by another nationality isn't given the same emphasis.
Because we do not share a political entity with the French (or the British) but we share one with Anglo-Canadians where they are the majority and therefore have influence over how much leeway and how many services we get.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:43 AM

34,885 posts, read 42,090,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Because we do not share a political entity with the French (or the British) but we share one with Anglo-Canadians where they are the majority and therefore have influence over how much leeway and how many services we get.
What services do you think Quebec is lacking from Canadas Anglo majority?

Old 09-05-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What services do you think Quebec is lacking from Canadas Anglo majority?
I don't think services (federal or otherwise) to francophones tend to be lacking in general (though there are occasional examples like Air Canada - and not just limited to the word LIFT on seat belts BTW) but my point was more that what exists and especially its future is something that we often need to negotiate or leverage with the country's anglophone majority.

The same goes for how much "leeway" we have to manage our affairs - and you know that I think there could be some tweaks on that front.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I don't think services (federal or otherwise) to francophones tend to be lacking in general (though there are occasional examples like Air Canada - and not just limited to the word LIFT on seat belts BTW) but my point was more that what exists and especially its future is something that we often need to negotiate or leverage with the country's anglophone majority.

The same goes for how much "leeway" we have to manage our affairs - and you know that I think there could be some tweaks on that front.
Well you got your bill101 and your OQLF and it seems Quebec can bring to law any bills it deems necessary like bill 21 and bill9 and you get $13.4 billion in transfer payments, IMO you are doing just fine.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Well you got your bill101 and your OQLF and it seems Quebec can bring to law any bills it deems necessary like bill 21 and bill9 and you get $13.4 billion in transfer payments, IMO you are doing just fine.
I said "tweaks" and I don't generally complain.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I said "tweaks" and I don't generally complain.
I was speaking in general terms about Quebec and not you personally.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:08 AM

475 posts, read 294,006 times
Quote:
There is still a lot of room for improvement.

Bill 101 and the like shouldn't be viewed as concessions to Quebec, they are our right.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:37 AM

8,732 posts, read 11,247,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
There is still a lot of room for improvement.

Bill 101 and the like shouldn't be viewed as concessions to Quebec, they are our right.
And this is where I have so much agreement with Quebec. Every province has the right to do what they see fit. It's just so often that the ROC doesn't do what's in their best individual interests in the spirit of "Canadianism" Screw it. Quebec looks out for itself first and foremost. Other provinces should do the same instead of bitching about Quebec.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
And this is where I have so much agreement with Quebec. Every province has the right to do what they see fit. It's just so often that the ROC doesn't do what's in their best individual interests in the spirit of "Canadianism" Screw it. Quebec looks out for itself first and foremost. Other provinces should do the same instead of bitching about Quebec.
You've been living in Texas too long, pardner... they're making you independent-minded!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada