U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Québec
64 posts, read 33,417 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is Texas the Quebec of the US?
- No because Texas wanted to be a part of the USA

- They feel strongly about it.

- They speak the same language.

- 40% don't want independence.

It is a region of the USA not a different nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2019, 07:56 AM
 
2,593 posts, read 2,232,898 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
- No because Texas wanted to be a part of the USA

- They feel strongly about it.

- They speak the same language.

- 40% don't want independence.

It is a region of the USA not a different nation.
So 60% of Texans want independence? From where did you pull out those numbers?

And I had no idea Spanish and English are the same language.

Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 08:46 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
10,011 posts, read 21,322,600 times
Reputation: 9531
I think student loan debt keeps many Americans from moving to places like Canada. It doesn't make economic sense to grow up in a low tax / pay your way nation and then take your massive debt load to a high tax / highly subsidized nation. You need the higher wage and lower taxes just to make ends meet.

In the long run the USA likely moves towards a system of govt much more similar to Canada and Australia. Interesting how that could effect immigration flows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Québec
64 posts, read 33,417 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
So 60% of Texans want independence? From where did you pull out those numbers?

And I had no idea Spanish and English are the same language.

Try again.
40% of Texans are not seeking independence from the USA like 40% of Quebecois seek independence from Canada. Maybe 2% of Texans want independence really. English is the language of Americans and of the Texas school system and government and the people who identify as Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Montreal
481 posts, read 296,007 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
And this is where I have so much agreement with Quebec. Every province has the right to do what they see fit. It's just so often that the ROC doesn't do what's in their best individual interests in the spirit of "Canadianism" Screw it. Quebec looks out for itself first and foremost. Other provinces should do the same instead of bitching about Quebec.
Glad to see that, mikeyyc! Plus, by giving power to the provinces rather than giving it to the ROC we are giving more of a voice to regular people.

I always wonder, what's the problem with having a Canada where the federal government leaves us alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,759 posts, read 11,261,646 times
Reputation: 10504
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Glad to see that, mikeyyc! Plus, by giving power to the provinces rather than giving it to the ROC we are giving more of a voice to regular people.

I always wonder, what's the problem with having a Canada where the federal government leaves us alone?
Especially now, where Parliament has essentially devolved into regional rump parties, and the Government of the moment uses their power to pay back/buy supporters rather than have the greater interests of the country at heart. The feds should be providing national vision, protection of the nation, and settlement/leadership/funding on issues of National importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Montreal
481 posts, read 296,007 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Especially now, where Parliament has essentially devolved into regional rump parties, and the Government of the moment uses their power to pay back/buy supporters rather than have the greater interests of the country at heart. The feds should be providing national vision, protection of the nation, and settlement/leadership/funding on issues of National importance.
You make a lot of good points about the buffoonery that thrives in Parliament.

Who wants to get involved in that?

That said, in Quebec I suggest that we handle our own national vision as Quebec is our nation.

Canada is more like a framework for military defence, not our nation. Not any more than Vermont is.

Which is why I am proud that in Quebec we still refuse to sign the ever-dubious Canadian constitution; to sign it would be an admission that we see Canada as a nation instead of a loose alliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 10:27 PM
 
34,919 posts, read 42,140,185 times
Reputation: 30301
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You make a lot of good points about the buffoonery that thrives in Parliament.

Who wants to get involved in that?

That said, in Quebec I suggest that we handle our own national vision as Quebec is our nation.

Canada is more like a framework for military defence, not our nation. Not any more than Vermont is.

Which is why I am proud that in Quebec we still refuse to sign the ever-dubious Canadian constitution; to sign it would be an admission that we see Canada as a nation instead of a loose alliance.
Sounds like some one needs to separate from Canada to realise that vision,until then Quebec is just a Canadian parasite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:09 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,559 posts, read 12,483,170 times
Reputation: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
All the way back to the 1800's Canadians have been documented as having a staple inferiority complex vs. their more famous American brothers. In 1949 the Empire Club of Canada addressed this topic in a speech titled "That Inferiority Complex".

"Where the American in general is responsive to every new development afoot in the United States-the Canadian in general remains aloof, reserved, disinterested in significant happenings within his country.."

It has been argued that the complex is the result of Canada's failure to develop a real culture compared to the world's nations and especially the sibling next door. "But the failure to develop an important body of Canadian literature is due to an even more fundamental failure".

Today the complex stays with us and is greater than ever. It has even entered national matters of politics. Barack Obama's diplomats suggested that Canada should be the first country he visits because it would "do much to diminish -- temporarily at least -- Canada's habitual inferiority complex vis-a-vis the U.S. and its chronic but accurate complaint that the U.S. pays far less attention to Canada than Canada does to [the U.S.]." So even Barack Obama took this complex quite seriously.

Despite Canada being a fairly successful place as far as the countries of the world goes, many Canadians find it hard not to constantly compare themselves to Americans. A comparison that will in the large majority of cases only feed the inferiority complex and foster a juvenile need to strike back at the imaginary belligerent.

The desperate need for attention is also debilitating our country and leading to very real economic problems. There is the subject of the well-known brain drain, the phenomenon of Canada's best and brightest moving to America, especially in fields that are the most important to future development. Nearly 2/3 of software engineers move to the U.S. among other essential fields.

Mod cut: copyrighted images.



The truth is that most Canadians with the option move to America at their first available opportunity. Even Wayne Gretzky has been called out for his supposed abandonment of Canada. But in this case we are subsidising universities that are training talented professionals for the American market. "America or bust" is the thought process. How does that make sense for Canada?

The question is, what can be done to get Canadians to develop a confidence that should be inherent to a G8 country? Why do we have to compare ourselves to America at every opportunity? How do we stop the brain drain that is leaving Canada without any real tech companies or innovation of significance? When will we be capable of creating a Canadian Microsoft, a Canadian Google?

Canadian with a inferiority complex should leave the country as soon as possible and re-settle in the United States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 PM
 
Location: New York Area
16,561 posts, read 6,544,350 times
Reputation: 12754
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
It has been argued that the complex is the result of Canada's failure to develop a real culture compared to the world's nations and especially the sibling next door. "But the failure to develop an important body of Canadian literature is due to an even more fundamental failure".
Back in April 1973 I visited Toronto as part of a band exchange trip. I was billeted with a very nice family in North York. When I turned to my peer, Mark, who was a year older than me I asked him if Nixon's observations in his address to Parliament in Ottawa the year before about the closeness and openness of U.S.-Canadian ties were accurate and he remarked "not really." When I browsed a bookstore on Yonge Street, I noticed that there was a "Canadiana" section. I asked the owner about it and he said it was a creature of governmental policy mandating "Canadian content." Later that was abbreviated to "Cancon." Before Cancon, as an American I had no trouble having Canadians among my favorite artists and writers. To this day Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young are my two favorite musicians. I have learned what little Canadian history I know from his song "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" as well as reading; 1) Trudeau, Son of Quebec, Father of Canada; 2) Seth Lifset's Continental Divide, about differences between the countries; 3) a recent biography of Gordon Lightfoot; 4) On the Take, about Brian Mulroney; and 5) a large chunk of the Canada portion of CD, as well as regular posting on the defunct cbc.ca/forums, freedominion.ca and the still-existing mapleleafweb.com.

Developing similar quality artists and authors is a challenge. Having a protected, insular Cancon market won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Despite Canada being a fairly successful place as far as the countries of the world goes, many Canadians find it hard not to constantly compare themselves to Americans. A comparison that will in the large majority of cases only feed the inferiority complex and foster a juvenile need to strike back at the imaginary belligerent.
Written by me (elsewhere) on April 7, 2007:

I am staying in Niagara Falls, and just finished an intelligent, though slightly liquor-stoked conversation with an Ontarian. He asked why Americans in general and Bush in particular doesn't show Canada and Canadians more respect.

I think these are entirely the wrong questions. I pointed out that I met a Peterborough, ON school teacher who did not know what happened at the Plains of Abraham and didn't know who Montcalm and Wolfe were. I also asked why, if Canadians are not proud of Vimy Ridge and Juno Beach (Normandy), why should Americans show more respect for Canada than it does for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
The truth is that most Canadians with the option move to America at their first available opportunity. Even Wayne Gretzky has been called out for his supposed abandonment of Canada. But in this case we are subsidising universities that are training talented professionals for the American market. "America or bust" is the thought process. How does that make sense for Canada?

The question is, what can be done to get Canadians to develop a confidence that should be inherent to a G8 country? Why do we have to compare ourselves to America at every opportunity? How do we stop the brain drain that is leaving Canada without any real tech companies or innovation of significance? When will we be capable of creating a Canadian Microsoft, a Canadian Google?
Simple. Talent flees socialism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top