U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:18 PM

22,252 posts, read 27,720,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Still another thing I notice is all ethnic groups west of Quebec are lumped into English Canada.

Ever notice that that comes up a lot? Not just in this discussion. Perhaps it's because that to most people the differences in political and other viewpoints between say Ukrainians on the Prairies or Dutch people in SW Ontario don't really appear to be that big outliers.

I mean I can't think of many situations where I'd say: most people in Saskatchewan vote and see things this way except for this historically Ukrainian town where things are diametrically opposed. I mean the main exceptions to the rule on the Prairies are a) urban areas and b) indigenous areas, and these two outlier factors are actually at play in many other parts of the country as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 02:21 PM

5,735 posts, read 6,612,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I haven't read all of the posts but... do you think that smugness and superiority goes way back in time or that it's since Trump went into office and so many Americans are complaining and saying that they want to move to Canada?

(Also: Hi! I hope that you're well. Talk soon. )
I think it really started to be noticeable in Bush Junior's time. Everyone thought he was pretty bad but in retrospect, compared to Trump, he is starting to look presentable.

( My last email to you didn't make it out of drafts)

Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM

56 posts, read 31,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I don’t think that’s necessarily true, especially with our current president.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/immig...ests-1.1225782

^ According to this poll, immigrants are just as likely as native-born Canadians to feel like full citizens, and the overwhelming majority of Canadians believe immigrants are just as likely to be good citizens as native-born Canadians. And to be clear, I am not old, white, Canadian, or originally from North America.
Of course CBC will say that, it is government news. Most people in Quebec don't feel Canadian the same way as in the ROC. Just because of that the poll is a dubious one.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:29 PM

16,796 posts, read 27,044,634 times
I agree with you, Nat. I've lived in the States (and Canada, obviously) and no matter which country I was living in, I never felt superior or smug. Like you said up-thread (or in another thread, I don't remember), Canada and the U.S. are just different from each other in some ways. What I do feel -- no matter which country I was living in -- is patriotic... for BOTH countries.

Ah, yes, netwit... Bush is a walk in the park, in retrospect. (Looking forward to your email when you get some time.)

Old 08-18-2019, 02:36 PM

5,735 posts, read 6,612,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ever notice that that comes up a lot? Not just in this discussion. Perhaps it's because that to most people the differences in political and other viewpoints between say Ukrainians on the Prairies or Dutch people in SW Ontario don't really appear to be that big outliers.

I mean I can't think of many situations where I'd say: most people in Saskatchewan vote and see things this way except for this historically Ukrainian town where things are diametrically opposed. I mean the main exceptions to the rule on the Prairies are a) urban areas and b) indigenous areas, and these two outlier factors are actually at play in many other parts of the country as well.
I was thinking less of politics and more of the fact that English Canada is not English. The Ukrainians, the Mennonites, etc, etc, were all looked down on by the actual English. Kids were all warned that they could expect spankings if they spoke their language in playgrounds. And somehow francophone Canada is unaware of this and sees everyone in "English" Canada as English oppressors. There's not much sympathy for Quebec because these non Engish English Canadians all went through versions of having their language suppressed. French Canadians are not special in that regard.

As an example, one older Mennonite man who stopped by made a big to-do about telling me how he always told people he was bilingual. After getting their, "Really?" response, he said, "Yes, German and English." One heard this a lot here during Quebec's referendums.

Another example of a Russian-German immigrant who called my husband because she wanted his help in fighting a traffic ticket. She had been driving like the road was the Autobahn and wanted to fight the ticket on the grounds that it wasn't in her German language.

Newer immigrants have no idea how things were before PET and multiculturalism made it okay to be who you are. We were far too busy feeling inferior to actual English Canadians to feel inferior to Americans.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:36 PM

12,892 posts, read 8,948,371 times
Quote:

I believe the point is that lumping " english Canada " as one entity, belies the differences, and there are differences.

Politics may not be the best way to show them, but food, religion and culture vary across " english Canada", sometimes quite dramatically.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:38 PM

People with a superiority complex don't copy their neighouring culture, and watch all of their news. If I turned on a TV in Ontario there is as much coverage of what is going on the the U.S. and what Americans are doing as much as there is about Canada. I think 90-95% of English-Canadian culture is basically a American copy-cat.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Acajack I love how clear you are!

Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM

65 posts, read 53,965 times
I am love to seeing the conversations we are having here.

Like good point Netwit, why are Ukrainians on the plains lumped in as "Anglos"? But then Acajack makes good points too. See everyone...now we are all having a conversation. Nothing anti-Canada here. Isn't this better than sweeping it under the rug?

Not so bad after all is it?

Old 08-18-2019, 02:50 PM

36 posts, read 8,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
I am love to seeing the conversations we are having here.

Like good point Netwit, why are Ukrainians on the plains lumped in as "Anglos"? But then Acajack makes good points too. See everyone...now we are all having a conversation. Nothing anti-Canada here. Isn't this better than sweeping it under the rug?

Not so bad after all is it?
Clearly, you must hate Canada!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada