Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 08:19 PM

81 posts, read 101,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LMAO hahahhahaha If i had a dollar for everytime I heard this!!
Tell me about it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 08:25 PM

81 posts, read 101,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think you know as well as I do in the context of the many threads in here, and what you said that it was not a tactful approach to some valid concerns. If those valid concerns were presented differently, you'd probably receive a different response. I even engaged you in conversation about those valid concerns with some solutions I thought we could pursue, and I am sure they are in practice as well. I didn't take it as an insult at all - but the clouds of drama around what you presented were pretty typical, and is worthy of challenge in its own right.
No, I don't know what you mean. I'm not bashing Canada I'm trying to talk about a subject. Maybe it is a cultural difference? I only presented it as a thread that people would actually want to participate in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
But let's clear away the clouds. You said trouble is brewing in Canada. Expand on that and what you meant please.
Just look at this thread and some of the others.

Canada is becoming less and less white and more and more diverse. Women's rights, and the treatment of visible minorities, and more are more at the forefront. These topics seem to be more and more split and I think they are becoming more like that as Canada becomes less and less white.

I think Canada is moving in the right direction but lots of people don't want to hear what lots of people from the old guard don't want to hear what people of colour, including immigrants have to say. That isn't a very effective method of resolving conflict.

Some of your colleagues told me earlier in the thread that I want to be American and stuff like that. I don't know, but I do think that they do better with Latin Americans and other groups moving into the country and really participating as full citizens and actually feeling like they belong in that nation. I really feel like alot of the time in Canada it is for white Anglo-Saxon stock people to tell everyone else what we should be feeling, but they don't acutally care. It's like a so many people are on the defence. Sorry, that's just how I feel. Look at Snowhound's posts, Ziosites....do you not feel that they are at least mildly insensitive? It really starts to wear on you. Even a post about brain drain becomes accusations of why I hate Canada, when my family has been here for thousands of years...

Old 08-17-2019, 10:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
No, I don't know what you mean. I'm not bashing Canada I'm trying to talk about a subject. Maybe it is a cultural difference? I only presented it as a thread that people would actually want to participate in.

Just look at this thread and some of the others.

I think Canada is moving in the right direction but lots of people don't want to hear what lots of people from the old guard don't want to hear what people of colour, including immigrants have to say. That isn't a very effective method of resolving conflict.

It's like a so many people are on the defence. Even a post about brain drain becomes accusations of why I hate Canada, when my family has been here for thousands of years...
I've taken a liberty to parse your post and will address those parts, especially the bold with a question.

What would you have expected "the great Canadian inferiority complex" included in your title to suggest to the reader, if not a "bashing of Canada"?

You state Canada is moving in the right direction with increased diversity but in the very next breath suggest the old guard doesn't want to hear what immigrants have to say. Just how the heck do you think diversity got embraced in the first place if it wasn't for that old guard opening the taps.

I'll grant you the older generation is change resistant to a greater degree than younger people but you can drop the white anglo saxon nonsense as that trait of rigidity crosses all demographics including visible minorities. I have worked with any number of immigrants from all imaginable races and cultures who displayed the very same tendency towards their own younger ethnicity.

Wanting to engage in debate while taking an accusatory stance with regurgitating an overworked manufactured meme created out of whole cloth does not suggest you're interested in merely talking about a subject.

It would suggest rather, you're only interested in claiming victimhood and attaching blame for it.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

It would suggest rather, you're only interested in claiming victimhood and attaching blame for it.
That sounds very familiar

Old 08-18-2019, 12:52 AM

525 posts, read 453,634 times
Quote:
I don't know, but I do think that they do better with Latin Americans and other groups moving into the country and really participating as full citizens and actually feeling like they belong in that nation.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true, especially with our current president.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/immig...ests-1.1225782

^ According to this poll, immigrants are just as likely as native-born Canadians to feel like full citizens, and the overwhelming majority of Canadians believe immigrants are just as likely to be good citizens as native-born Canadians. And to be clear, I am not old, white, Canadian, or originally from North America.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:45 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times
Off topic but I want to address a certain point.

My impression of the Canadians who frequent and actively participate in this board is that they are mostly level headed. Now, this is not necessarily representative of the population at large and one can easily find places that draw in a very different type of crowd.

On that note, I do think that since CD is at the end of the day an American forum, a certain guard is in place by our local residents here. This is to counter topics that post false narratives ( not this topic) or those that are inflammatory in nature.

Old 08-18-2019, 03:14 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,928,561 times
Canada is right there at the sweet-spot between the US and Europe. It does not really have any of the US problems like gun violence and over the top crime rates, unequal division of wealth, lack of a general health care system, or a huge homeless population and does not suffer from Europe problems like unfortunate geographic location near the Middle East and Africa, disastrous immigration policies, excessive taxation, overpopulation, tiny housing and shortage of land, low standard of living, or lack of natural resources.

It would have my dream country if it weren't so darn cold .

Old 08-18-2019, 05:25 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,265,430 times
Quote:
I am living on the reservation I grew up in due to family matters. Near Red Lake.

I'm pretty sure my Canadian experience has been very different than yours.

I don't have to prove my Canadianness to anyone, especially not someone who just showed up.

Seems like you really like the USA better...

Assuming you are First Nations....here's some good news....you can easily move to the USA..
as per Jay Treaty of 1795 ...you can live/work in the USA ...do not need a Green Card.

Nothing is stopping you from your USA dreams

Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
I assume that lots of Canadians appreciate the fact that many people from other countries like Canada more than their countries of origin, to the point of settling here permanently.

If we are to accept this possibility it follows that some Canadians are going to like other countries better than Canada. In many cases that other country will be the US. C'est la vie.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
From "Meet the Robinsons"
Canada? I think you mean North Montana, hasn't been called Canada in years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada