Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 09:51 AM

16 posts, read 11,836 times

Advertisements

I will just say that I'm learning alot about Canada reading these responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 10:23 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms & Sand View Post
For perspective, fewer than 20 Canadians have posted opinions in this thread out of a population of 37 million. I don’t think that’s enough to form any conclusions.

I haven’t posted earlier because I really don’t have much to say on the topic. I don’t feel inferior or superior to Americans in general... just different. I do vaguely recall feeling inferior as a teenager but I lacked a lot of self-confidence way back then.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:27 AM

82 posts, read 71,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms & Sand View Post
You can come to Quebec! We are usually more friendly and we are basically our own country.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:37 AM

225 posts, read 152,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Seems like you really like the USA better...

Assuming you are First Nations....here's some good news....you can easily move to the USA..
as per Jay Treaty of 1795 ...you can live/work in the USA ...do not need a Green Card.

Nothing is stopping you from your USA dreams
I just saw the Pacific Northwest. Wow I would not mind moving to somewhere like Portland, Oregon. There are so many cool places.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:13 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I assume that lots of Canadians appreciate the fact that many people from other countries like Canada more than their countries of origin, to the point of settling here permanently.

If we are to accept this possibility it follows that some Canadians are going to like other countries better than Canada. In many cases that other country will be the US. C'est la vie.
Good point. I personally know many people that moved from Canada to Quebec for University and ended up staying there. It happens all the time.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Good point. I personally know many people that moved from Canada to Quebec for University and ended up staying there. It happens all the time.
Funny typo.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
You can come to Quebec! We are usually more friendly and we are basically our own country.
Then he wouldn't learn anything about Canada if we follow your line of logic.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:14 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
It's interesting to me how people can look at the same set of facts and come to different conclusions. The 1948 writer of the linked speech comes to the conclusion that because Canadians are different from Americans and because he himself found a place there, that other Canadians must long to be American in outlook too. The border was a lot more fluid in those days and one would assume that if so many Canadians felt a longing to be American they would have fled south.

Another thing I notice now that I am old enough to have lived through different periods in Canada's history, is that often younger people come across ideas and think no one has ever thought through these things before. It really is irrelevant whether Obama was warned about a Canadian inferiority complex since that point of view is influenced by the American superiority complex, thinking too often, everyone wants to be like them. I also find it interesting that Quebec's laid back pace of life is used as an example of something good, something unique and special, whereas English Canada's lack of ambition is remarked on here as being inferior to American innovativeness.

Still another thing I notice is all ethnic groups west of Quebec are lumped into English Canada.

It's interesting as well, the part of the speech highlighted in the OP, about a country without its own literature, since the post-war period inspired a wave of Canadian writers and we most certainly now have, and have had for many years, Canadian literature. "Canadian literature" is a thing.

As far as Canadians longing to be American, I know of none, which brings me to another issue sometimes thrown at Canadians here, which is that we're smug. The "no racism here" statement would tie into that. Since smugness denotes a sense of superiority, it's hard to figure out what Canadians are being accused of sometimes, inferiority or superiority.

I'm with BruSan. Canadians have a superiority complex.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

As far as Canadians longing to be American, I know of none, which brings me to another issue sometimes thrown at Canadians here, which is that we're smug. The "no racism here" statement would tie into that. Since smugness denotes a sense of superiority, it's hard to figure out what Canadians are being accused of sometimes, inferiority or superiority.

I'm with BruSan. Canadians have a superiority complex.
I haven't read all of the posts but... do you think that smugness and superiority goes way back in time or that it's since Trump went into office and so many Americans are complaining and saying that they want to move to Canada?

(Also: Hi! I hope that you're well. Talk soon. )

Old 08-18-2019, 02:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I haven't read all of the posts but... do you think that smugness and superiority goes way back in time or that it's since Trump went into office and so many Americans are complaining and saying that they want to move to Canada?

(Also: Hi! I hope that you're well. Talk soon. )
While waiting for Netwit to return from the back forty, I'll give my two cents.

I can only speak from my experiences, having American family, and having travelled to the US since I was four.

Also living in a city with lots of US visitors, and working on passenger trains where I engaged with a lot of Americans.

The following of course is a general overview and in no way reflects all Canadians or all Americans.

The superiority SOME Canadians feel is bred out of American superiority. I personally don't feel superior to Americans, but I do believe that some of what we have done in Canada is not inferior to what has been done in the US. Some may read that as feeling superior. Sort of " how dare you question our superiority ".

That said, the two countries are very different, regardless how some here want to lump " english Canada" with the US, and some things are better in Canada, and some things are better in the US. It really depends on where you are in life, and what you want out of life.

When people say that such and such a country is the best in the world, I see them as naive, and most likely untravelled. I NEVER say Canada is the best in the world, I do say, ( and yes I understand that most people have a natural love of their birthplace) that it is the best place for me. From my knowledge and understanding of other places, and from my travels, we have it pretty good here.

I'll give you an example of how someone may interpret a Canadian as being smug. I was in Palm Springs about 6 years ago sitting around chatting with some Americans. I always try to avoid political conversations, unless specifically asked for my opinion. However sometimes, I can't just sit there and let others think my silence means that I agree

The subject of labour laws/protections came up. One of the Americans was going on about how the US was a world leader in protections, and workers rights . The best in the world!! These people knew I was Canadian, and the statement was a pronouncement towards me.

Of course I responded, and explained that in Canada we had protections they didn't, like severance pay laws, maternity/paternity paid leave, and no employment on an " at will " basis, and federal and provincial mandatory vacation laws. Things that weren't universal across the US.

I can see how someone may have perceived my answer as bragging, instead of correcting or being smug. I wasn't. I was reacting to American superiority, which we have all encountered.

It's funny because the rest of the world doesn't seem to think we are smug. Just some fellow Canadians from certain parts, and some Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada