Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 08:16 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Don't forget the FIRST legal injection site was in Vancouver. That says something.
Vancouver had a heroin problem that other cities didn't have. At least not on the same scale. If injecting heroin had been such a big issue in MTL or Toronto, I am sure they would have done the same thing at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
No, I don't know what you mean. I'm not bashing Canada I'm trying to talk about a subject. Maybe it is a cultural difference? I only presented it as a thread that people would actually want to participate in.
I actually liked looking at some of your points. The problem with your post is, instead of focussing on simply a targeted subject matter, you inflamed it with a bunch of unnecessary tangential arguments and accusations that muddied the waters of some actually valid concerns. Truth be told though, sometimes people are more likely to engage in conversations that are high in drama, and short on facts and details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post

Canada is becoming less and less white and more and more diverse. Women's rights, and the treatment of visible minorities, and more are more at the forefront. These topics seem to be more and more split and I think they are becoming more like that as Canada becomes less and less white.

I think Canada is moving in the right direction but lots of people don't want to hear what lots of people from the old guard don't want to hear what people of colour, including immigrants have to say. That isn't a very effective method of resolving conflict.

Some of your colleagues told me earlier in the thread that I want to be American and stuff like that. I don't know, but I do think that they do better with Latin Americans and other groups moving into the country and really participating as full citizens and actually feeling like they belong in that nation. I really feel like alot of the time in Canada it is for white Anglo-Saxon stock people to tell everyone else what we should be feeling, but they don't acutally care. It's like a so many people are on the defence. Sorry, that's just how I feel. Look at Snowhound's posts, Ziosites....do you not feel that they are at least mildly insensitive? It really starts to wear on you. Even a post about brain drain becomes accusations of why I hate Canada, when my family has been here for thousands of years...
Instead of bringing various groups into things and unnecessarily inflaming a topic with drama - keep with facts and ideas. If you do that, regardless of which group you belong to - I think you'll receive a lot more respect. I'd avoid sort of lumping the old white male guard into one bag of coal. This is simply a mistake. It is as much of a mistake generalizing and stereotyping white men as it any other group.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 PM

82 posts, read 71,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I actually liked looking at some of your points. The problem with your post is, instead of focussing on simply a targeted subject matter, you inflamed it with a bunch of unnecessary tangential arguments and accusations that muddied the waters of some actually valid concerns. Truth be told though, sometimes people are more likely to engage in conversations that are high in drama, and short on facts and details.

Instead of bringing various groups into things and unnecessarily inflaming a topic with drama - keep with facts and ideas. If you do that, regardless of which group you belong to - I think you'll receive a lot more respect. I'd avoid sort of lumping the old white male guard into one bag of coal. This is simply a mistake. It is as much of a mistake generalizing and stereotyping white men as it any other group.
Give me a break. People who are part of minority groups live in a reality that they have to hyper aware of this. You are just turning it around on the victim for noticing whats going on. I would imagine that Canada looks very different for a indigenious person. But I won't assume on his behalf or attenpt to teach him how ignorant he is.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Manners View Post
Give me a break. People who are part of minority groups live in a reality that they have to hyper aware of this. You are just turning it around on the victim for noticing whats going on. I would imagine that Canada looks very different for a indigenious person. But I won't assume on his behalf or attenpt to teach him how ignorant he is.
Where do you get in my post that I am denying that minority groups live in a different reality. Of course they do, and there are sub groups of a minority group living different realities. We all live in different realities. What I am getting at is, if you frame an argument based on attacking a group, and not focusing on specific issues that have merit, and instead just inflame the argument and attack people good luck trying to make any progress. That applies to any side of any group, otherwise sorry, but you'll just sound like a barking victim dog.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Vancouver had a heroin problem that other cities didn't have. At least not on the same scale. If injecting heroin had been such a big issue in MTL or Toronto, I am sure they would have done the same thing at that time.
My response wasn't to say that Montreal or Toronto wouldn't do something, but to rebut the poster who said Vancouver does nothing. In the meantime, the battle that Vancouver had with the CON government of the day, seems to have inspired Montreal, which has safe injection sites now.

I know, I know. Vancouver isn't allowed to be the first in anything, but i can guarantee you, that if Montreal had the first injection site....LOL

Old 08-19-2019, 08:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Strangely enough, a lot of beggars in Montreal seem to be English-speakers that did the reverse journey. I wonder why that is, how they ended up in Montreal, of all places. Wouldn’t it make more sense to stay in an area where your language is spoken?
May I ask how you know they did that journey and aren't local anglophones.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-19-2019 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
My response wasn't to say that Montreal or Toronto wouldn't do something, but to rebut the poster who said Vancouver does nothing. In the meantime, the battle that Vancouver had with the CON government of the day, seems to have inspired Montreal, which has safe injection sites now.

I know, I know. Vancouver isn't allowed to be the first in anything, but i can guarantee you, that if Montreal had the first injection site....LOL
Actually i'll be the first to admit Toronto is behind the curve when it comes to injections sites outside the DT core. Many deaths in suburban hot zones could have and could be averted if there were mobile sites as there are in Montreal, Vancouver and I believe Calgary.

But that is a topic for another thread.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:42 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:

We are going to fight over the first heroin injection site? This is a point of pride?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
We don't. But it defies logic that in a metro that is less than 20% anglophone that 60-70% of the homeless people would be anglophone. Anglophones are not disproportionately poor and destitute here.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 AM

542 posts, read 503,204 times
Quote:
The percentage of homeless who are anglos is extremely disproportionate to their piece of the population in Quebec.

It is run of the mill to meet drug-addicted Vancouverites and Ontarians on the streets of Montreal.

Sadly, it is the norm.

Many come seeking the higher quality of life and superior social programs offered in Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada