U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Canada Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands?
Yes, Canada Should Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 6 37.50%
No, Canada Should Not Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2019, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,835 posts, read 11,293,635 times
Reputation: 3854

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Really? You see no advantage to Canada adding a tropical island to our territory?
I'm with you! If the locals would be on board I say go for it. Canada would never impose its will on another country - but truth be told even our dated 88 CF 18 hornets and 12 Halifax class Frigates would completely topple Turks and Caicos defenses in 30 minutes

That way we have a stable place that is ours to go to. I used to love going to Cuba - but man now its expensive. They peg their dollar to the U.S plus what is it 8 percent. So basically you have to pay 1.50 Cad for every CUC. In the course of only a few years - Cuba has become 50 percent more expensive. Turks and Caicos adopting the CAD dollar would make it a predictable place to go price wise. Plus think of all the new Timmy's that would be available! Having a double double by the beach and a warm ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2019, 06:36 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,543 posts, read 6,745,312 times
Reputation: 14856
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Really? You see no advantage to Canada adding a tropical island to our territory?

It's not a tropical island. It's 40 limestone and coral desert island rocks sticking up out of the ocean and they all belong to and are supported by England. What are the advantages? It would be a HUGE expense to Canadian tax payers to supply, maintain, police and govern it, so the advantages would have to be well worth the expenses.


Did you look at that demographics and other information link that I posted? Here it is again, the whole thing needs to be looked at: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print_tk.html

For example:

- no natural resources for trade except sea snails,
- no other exports,
- no industry except tourism services,
- no fresh water except imported water or rain water which must be captured into each household's or hotel's private cisterns,
- no arable land - it's basically all flat hard limestone at sea level so there's no gardens, no agriculture, crops or pasture land,
- no forest lands except for cactus plants, salt water marshes and mangrove swamps infested with mosquitoes, and imported palms for decoration on some streets in the towns,
- 100% dependency on imported fossil fuels for all energy,
- 100% dependency on imported foods and all other goods and necessities,
- the land is all flat limestone with everything at sea level except for two hills that are only 48 meters high so one really serious earthquake, tsunami or hurricane would wash everything away into the ocean,
- no birds or other wildlife on the islands except for malnourished feral donkeys running loose everywhere, Zika carrying mosquitoes, bats, butterflies, rock iguanas, geckos, snakes (including boas) and great blue land crabs,
- Zika virus is highly active on all islands
- only 8 of the 30 limestone islands are habitable for humans provided all supplies are imported (that's not counting the other 10 coral islands which are completely bare coral)
- destination and transit point for pirates, smugglers and illegal Haitian immigrants bound for the Bahamas and the US.
- transshipment point for South American narcotics destined for the US and Europe

- and more at that link above.



So, seriously, what are the advantages to Canada?


.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-23-2019 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,971 posts, read 4,528,989 times
Reputation: 3336
Mod cut. calm down, zoisite you come across very neurotic. You don't want the island we get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's not a tropical island. It's 40 limestone and coral desert island rocks sticking up out of the ocean and they all belong to and are supported by England. What are the advantages? It would be a HUGE expense to Canadian tax payers to supply, maintain, police and govern it, so the advantages would have to be well worth the expenses.
Lol It is a tropical island.



Quote:
For example:

- no natural resources for trade except sea snails,
- no other exports,
- no industry except tourism services,
There are places already in Canada like that and they do fine.



Quote:
- no fresh water except imported water or rain water which must be captured into each household's or hotel's private cisterns,
- no arable land - it's basically all flat hard limestone at sea level so there's no gardens, no agriculture, crops or pasture land,
And yet people live there and do just fine.


Quote:
- no forest lands except for cactus plants, salt water marshes and mangrove swamps infested with mosquitoes, and imported palms for decoration on some streets in the towns,
Oh no no forest. That sounds like hell on earth.

Quote:
- no arable land - it's basically all flat hard limestone at sea level so there's no gardens, no agriculture, crops or pasture land,
You need to read your own link again.


Quote:
- the land is all flat limestone with everything at sea level except for two hills that are only 48 meters high so one really serious earthquake, tsunami or hurricane would wash everything away into the ocean,
- no birds or other wildlife on the islands except for malnourished feral donkeys running loose everywhere, Zika carrying mosquitoes, bats, butterflies, rock iguanas, geckos, snakes (including boas) and great blue land crabs,
- Zika virus is highly active on all islands
- destination and transit point for pirates, smugglers and illegal Haitian immigrants bound for the Bahamas and the US.
Oh my god Haitians and pirates noooo!...... More neurotic talk.

Quote:
- transshipment point for South American narcotics destined for the US and Europe
[/quote]

I bet more heroin and fentanyl move through the airport and sea port of Vancouver.


Quote:
So, seriously, what are the advantages to Canada?
A bigger tourism industry and closer access to trade with Latin America. A warm place Canadians can call their own?



This is the illegal alien pirate, zika infested island zoisite is scared of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN9wVVI_GOw

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-23-2019 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,859 posts, read 8,917,407 times
Reputation: 7427
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Really? You see no advantage to Canada adding a tropical island to our territory?
Not really. Fusion2 mentions the dollar, and that I can see is one advantage, but other than that? I'm not sure it's worth it.

If it were to happen, I wouldn't fight it, but I wouldn't fight for it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 07:30 AM
 
18,488 posts, read 10,530,288 times
Reputation: 13538
I attempted earlier to "remind" everyone of what has already manifested itself, in at least one province, of the deleterious effects of the reverse side of what is irrefutably a "two sided coin". My sarcasm was lost on the mod however. Perhaps had I used a personal insult such as calling someone "neurotic" all would have been fine?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article576433/

Has something materially changed in the Province of Quebec whereupon the prevalence of those racist or bigoted appearing comments would not be forthcoming?

Has the desire for annexation of a "Hawaii-like" island in the sun been fully considered when, at least one Province has already openly and without shame expressed the perceived negatives of the resultant influx?

It is more than a bit disconcerting when these ideas seem to all have their genesis from those supporting the "lack of culture" meme but have no problem with those who have openly scorned the reverse aspect of Canada's friendly relationship with at least one Caribbean island.

When one proposes these superficial ideas without considering all aspects of what has already manifested itself by way of the "reverse" side of that coin, I cannot help but think the person has not been watching or paying any attention to the national news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,835 posts, read 11,293,635 times
Reputation: 3854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not really. Fusion2 mentions the dollar, and that I can see is one advantage, but other than that? I'm not sure it's worth it.

If it were to happen, I wouldn't fight it, but I wouldn't fight for it either.
Yeah I was being tongue and cheek about it. That being said, there is nothing to say as time moves forward in this relatively young nations history, that there could be changes to national borders in our future. I'm not sure we should just use QC as a reason to never change our borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I attempted earlier to "remind" everyone of what has already manifested itself, in at least one province, of the deleterious effects of the reverse side of what is irrefutably a "two sided coin". My sarcasm was lost on the mod however. Perhaps had I used a personal insult such as calling someone "neurotic" all would have been fine?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article576433/

Has something materially changed in the Province of Quebec whereupon the prevalence of those racist or bigoted appearing comments would not be forthcoming?

Has the desire for annexation of a "Hawaii-like" island in the sun been fully considered when, at least one Province has already openly and without shame expressed the perceived negatives of the resultant influx?

It is more than a bit disconcerting when these ideas seem to all have their genesis from those supporting the "lack of culture" meme but have no problem with those who have openly scorned the reverse aspect of Canada's friendly relationship with at least one Caribbean island.

When one proposes these superficial ideas without considering all aspects of what has already manifested itself by way of the "reverse" side of that coin, I cannot help but think the person has not been watching or paying any attention to the national news.
Of course we would need evaluate this beyond just the idea first. That really is essentially all this is, an idea. I think the likelihood of Turks and Caicos becoming a Canadian Province is about as likely as them having an Ice storm on the island tomorrow.

I read your article. I think as a nation, we need to have a big introspective look into how we want to proceed moving forward. Our primary source of population growth and thus economic growth, is through immigration. That is as true in QC as it is in the Rest of Canada. If we are going to recognize that indeed we are an immigration nation, and that we need this to grow our country and its economy (sorry Canada, natural growth isn't going to cut it), than I think we need to get real about HOW we treat newcomers.

Otherwise, we are simply engaging in some form of collective cognitive dissonance. One in which we profess to the world how open and diverse we are, yet at the same time lashing out like childish racist xenophobes at Taxi drivers. Those drivers btw, doing jobs that said racist xenophobe, would probably feel too elevated to ever do.

So yes, I agree with you Brusan, we do need to look at any expansion very closely, not just outside our current national borders, but also how we are growing as a nation within.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-24-2019 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,971 posts, read 4,528,989 times
Reputation: 3336
Quote:
when one proposes these superficial ideas without considering all aspects of what has already manifested itself by way of the "reverse" side of that coin, i cannot help but think the person has not been watching or paying any attention to the national news.
ok.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoisite View Post
what is the caq?
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,971 posts, read 4,528,989 times
Reputation: 3336
Beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EPoxmsbLSY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:11 AM
 
705 posts, read 342,076 times
Reputation: 1105
Turks and Caicos could be an overseas territory, like how Guam is to the US , Saint Martin is to France, Aruba is to the Netherlands, and Bermuda is to the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 12:09 PM
 
18,488 posts, read 10,530,288 times
Reputation: 13538
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah I was being tongue and cheek about it. That being said, there is nothing to say as time moves forward in this relatively young nations history, that there could be changes to national borders in our future. I'm not sure we should just use QC as a reason to never change our borders.



Of course we would need evaluate this beyond just the idea first. That really is essentially all this is, an idea. I think the likelihood of Turks and Caicos becoming a Canadian Province is about as likely as them having an Ice storm on the island tomorrow.

I read your article. I think as a nation, we need to have a big introspective look into how we want to proceed moving forward. Our primary source of population growth and thus economic growth, is through immigration. That is as true in QC as it is in the Rest of Canada. If we are going to recognize that indeed we are an immigration nation, and that we need this to grow our country and its economy (sorry Canada, natural growth isn't going to cut it), than I think we need to get real about HOW we treat newcomers.

Otherwise, we are simply engaging in some form of collective cognitive dissonance. One in which we profess to the world how open and diverse we are, yet at the same time lashing out like childish racist xenophobes at Taxi drivers. Those drivers btw, doing jobs that said racist xenophobe, would probably feel too elevated to ever do.

So yes, I agree with you Brusan, we do need to look at any expansion very closely, not just outside our current national borders, but also how we are growing as a nation within.
I've posted here before that the overall result would be a "what you make of it" issue. Some would undoubtedly bemoan the sudden influx of a more "identifiable" demographic; most, recognizing Canada's major strength and respected image abroad resides squarely on the shoulders of our immigration, would not. Some would clutch their pearls over the further "diluting" of our respective French and Anglo Saxon heritage; most wouldn't even notice. Some would occasion the opportunity to lord it, over our new found adopted street urchin with the attitude we're "sacrificing" for their betterment while most would simply love the opportunity to bask in the warmth during winter months and be nothing but grateful for that.

Some would not be happy until they've dug a moat around their little fiefdom; most want to interact with all, if for no other reason our best ideas come from the least expected quarter.

The currency and passport issues would be the least of my concerns. It is my opinion an opportunity to absorb some new cultural experience while interacting with a new society would trump all perceived, imagined negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top