U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Canada Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands?
Yes, Canada Should Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 6 37.50%
No, Canada Should Not Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:31 AM

12,835 posts, read 11,293,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
We would share it with the U.S since Thule AFB is there and we are both part of NORAD it would be a great early warning site and secure Canadian and American interest in the untapped resource rich arctic circle.

If we do it we should jointly do it with a best friend/ally who happens to be big brother where we have each others back Against both Russian and Chinese making their own arctic claims up there.
It is pretty much all a moot point as Denmark has shown no interest in selling it or giving it away either. It is their sovereign territory. They do allow for Thule there though, and they are a NATO ally. That'll have to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:15 AM

34,735 posts, read 41,925,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Really? You see no advantage to Canada adding a tropical island to our territory?
I think Canada gave Turks & Caicos the choice to join Canada if they so chose, the offer was declined so unless something new has arisen the Turks & Caicos remain a sovereign nation. The history of Canadas involvement with T&C can be found by scrolling through this informative article =https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...te%20province.

Last edited by jambo101; Today at 08:24 AM..

Old Today, 08:56 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 20 days ago)

4,971 posts, read 4,528,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think Canada gave Turks & Caicos the choice to join Canada if they so chose, the offer was declined.....[/url]
That's embarrassing.

Old Today, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think Canada gave Turks & Caicos the choice to join Canada if they so chose, the offer was declined so unless something new has arisen the Turks & Caicos remain a sovereign nation. The history of Canadas involvement with T&C can be found by scrolling through this informative article =https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...te%20province.
I didn't see anything in the article you posted about T and C declining. If anything it has been the Canadian side that has sort of waffled, by not tabling anything serious because there hasn't been enough political support in Canada.. I found it surprising that in 1917, Robert Borden suggested Annexing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That's embarrassing.
Why though, they never declined. Am I missing something in the article guys?

Last edited by fusion2; Today at 10:55 AM..

Old Today, 11:39 AM

7,543 posts, read 6,745,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I didn't see anything in the article you posted about T and C declining. It just looks like anything serious hasn't been followed through upon. I found it surprising that in 1917, Robert Borden suggested Annexing them.

Why though, they never declined. Am I missing something guys. If anything it has been the Canadian side that has sort of waffled by not tabling anything serious.
Annexation by Canada was also suggested in 1974. "In 1974, Canadian New Democratic Party MP Max Saltsman tried to use his Private Member's Bill for legislation to annex the islands to Canada, but it did not pass in the House of Commons of Canada."

Perhaps this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Turks_and_Caicos_Islands will give you a better understanding of why Canada's House of Commons waffled and never followed through. Because they knew better and were being cautious. T&C are not really, seriously independent yet, they are Britain's problem child that is still taking tiny baby steps in self governance. They have been a long time headache for Britain because the islands' people and home governments have been rife with systemic corruption, scandal and unfitness to self-rule.

Even as recently as 2009 the islands had their autonomy rescinded by special order of the Queen and Britain's direct rule was imposed again. Then after much "to do" self-rule was restored again in 2012 after a new and highly revised Constitution was written up, strict financial controls were put in place and an all new governing body was elected/appointed.

Britain has centuries of experience with dealing effectively with these kinds of problems that Britain is encountering with T&C, but Canada does not, being a baby country herself. Canada's government already has enough problems within her own borders with helping and negotiating through similar problems that are happening with Nunavut's struggling attempts at self-rule. Perhaps when Nunavut has proven to be a success, and problems with Quebec's bid for independence have been resolved successfully then Canada might be prepared to step outside of Canadian boundaries and look to acquire more territory for Canada. But I don't think they'll look to Turks and Caicos for that (nor any other known to be active pirate and smuggling ports like T&C) considering the long term problems that Britain has been dealing with in regard to T & C being an object lesson about corruption and unfitness of a nearly entire society of people.

Last edited by Zoisite; Today at 12:43 PM..

Old Today, 01:18 PM

10,194 posts, read 12,031,638 times
I think Bermuda would be a better fit than T&C for Canada. The island is very wealthy and well governed and is closer to Canada too. I don't think they would be interested in joining though.

Old Today, 01:35 PM

12,246 posts, read 4,176,349 times
Don't really see the point, most of these island nations run themselves, the only thing being a dependecy means is that another country is committed to defending them and helping them when they are hit by hurricanes, which generally means the UK has to fork out a lot opf disaster relief money and because of the current rules this can't come from Britain's
The Royal Navy keeps a ship in the Caribbean, and stops any ships suspected of smuggling.

Other than that they generally want the UK Supreme Court to settle some legal disputes and have better access in terms of immgration, hence the large Caribbean community in London. Although Britain did become so tired of not being able to send Yardie Gangsters back home that we actually built a prison in Jamaica to house them.

UK to build 25m Jamaican prison - BBC News (2015)

The Turk and Caicos have their own assembly and own Premier and basically run themselves.

Not sure where all this Trump type nonsense came about, however these places generally rule themselves these days and the idea of them being annexed is pure nonsence, as is Trump's idea of making Greenland part of the US.

Old Today, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Annexation by Canada was also suggested in 1974. "In 1974, Canadian New Democratic Party MP Max Saltsman tried to use his Private Member's Bill for legislation to annex the islands to Canada, but it did not pass in the House of Commons of Canada."

Perhaps this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Turks_and_Caicos_Islands will give you a better understanding of why Canada's House of Commons waffled and never followed through. Because they knew better and were being cautious. T&C are not really, seriously independent yet, they are Britain's problem child that is still taking tiny baby steps in self governance. They have been a long time headache for Britain because the islands' people and home governments have been rife with systemic corruption, scandal and unfitness to self-rule.

Even as recently as 2009 the islands had their autonomy rescinded by special order of the Queen and Britain's direct rule was imposed again. Then after much "to do" self-rule was restored again in 2012 after a new and highly revised Constitution was written up, strict financial controls were put in place and an all new governing body was elected/appointed.

Britain has centuries of experience with dealing effectively with these kinds of problems that Britain is encountering with T&C, but Canada does not, being a baby country herself. Canada's government already has enough problems within her own borders with helping and negotiating through similar problems that are happening with Nunavut's struggling attempts at self-rule. Perhaps when Nunavut has proven to be a success, and problems with Quebec's bid for independence have been resolved successfully then Canada might be prepared to step outside of Canadian boundaries and look to acquire more territory for Canada. But I don't think they'll look to Turks and Caicos for that (nor any other known to be active pirate and smuggling ports like T&C) considering the long term problems that Britain has been dealing with in regard to T & C being an object lesson about corruption and unfitness of a nearly entire society of people.

I'm not losing sleep over T and C tbh. The issues you cite are pretty valid concerns. I just think we need to be ready for a world where our borders could change and i'm not sure we should use Quebec or Nunavut as a reason to never be open minded. As much as Britain has experience with these matters, i'm not really sure they have made a lot of sound decisions in their history when it comes to their colonialism. Heck look at the Brexit nightmare right now.

As for QC's bid for independence being resolved. If a large number of the people of QC are like our resident PB - do you really think they could ever be resolved in the framework of unity? If any people or nation what have you declares, we just want to you use you like a parasite because you are the closest available host to meet our needs - umm yeah.

Old Today, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think Bermuda would be a better fit than T&C for Canada. The island is very wealthy and well governed and is closer to Canada too. I don't think they would be interested in joining though.

I agree that Bermuda would be a better fit, and that they aren't interested in joining Canada. They are just another one of our 16 sister nations who all have full autonomy and all share the same monarch. They would have no reason to be interested in joining Canada as there would be no more benefit or gain in it for them than what they already have as a British Overseas Territory and they would stand to lose much of what they have already gained including loss of their autonomy.

Old Today, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not losing sleep over T and C tbh. The issues you cite are pretty valid concerns. I just think we need to be ready for a world where our borders could change and i'm not sure we should use Quebec or Nunavut as a reason to never be open minded. As much as Britain has experience with these matters, i'm not really sure they have made a lot of sound decisions in their history when it comes to their colonialism. Heck look at the Brexit nightmare right now.

As for QC's bid for independence being resolved. If a large number of the people of QC are like our resident PB - do you really think they could ever be resolved in the framework of unity? If any people or nation what have you declares, we just want to you use you like a parasite because you are the closest available host to meet our needs - umm yeah.

I agree that we need to be ready for a world where our borders could change. Not 'could' change. 'Will' change inevitably.

I did not and have never said that we should not be open minded nor did I imply that Nunavut and Quebec are reasons to not be open minded. I said they are problems that need to be resolved before Canada burdens Canadians with even more problems and I stand by that.

If Canada is going to invite other people and/or territories to become part of Canada then Canada needs to weigh all the pros and cons, to be sensible and practical about the reasons for doing so and what the benefits will be to both Canada and the new people and/or the new territory that becomes part of Canada. It shouldn't be done just because some greedy, malcontented Canadians have fantasy visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads (warm tropical sunshine, pretty water and white powdery sand that only a few Canadians would ever be able to take advantage of) and decide "oh, I want that, I think we should take it" without any ethical or practical thought for what they are taking away from other people nor any thought for the problems and expenses they take onto Canada's shoulders. It is just so immature, ignorant and thoughtless. Canada has already done that right here in Canada and is still trying to resolve the consequent problems, along with the problems that Canada has with Quebec's self-centered cry-baby parasitic dissidents. Don't even get me started on them. I think they should all be sent to some little man-made floating island anchored out in the middle of the Pacific. And who knows, that just might happen because anything is possible.

Anyway, I think it's all neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned and I don't lose sleep over it either since I don't believe Canada will ever attempt or be able to annex or invite and then be able to defend and protect any other territories.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or