Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Canada Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands?
Yes, Canada Should Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 8 42.11%
No, Canada Should Not Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 AM

71 posts, read 48,084 times

Advertisements

"Canada really needs a Hawaii," said Conservative politician Peter Goldring in 2014. "The United States has a Hawaii. Why can’t Canada have a Hawaii?"

Some Canadian politicians have talked about the annexing of the Turks & Caicos islands.

It is a tourist destination for Canadians and part of Britain's crown, like Canada.

Do the people in these islands want to be Canadian?

Even Haiti has been propsed for Canadian annexation. "Haiti should surrender its sovereignty and assign itself to a country that "can be trusted to act in Haiti's long-term interests."

Haiti Should Relinquish It's Sovereignty [To Canada]

Is this a good or a bad idea?

Canada's Strange Quest For It's Own Hawaii

Does The Turks & Caicos Islands Want To Join Canada?

People Still Want Turks & Caicos To Be Canada's 11th Province
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
I am for Turks and Caicos to be Canadian as long as the islanders want it. As far as Haiti goes, I say no because the country is too underdeveloped and there are too many of them for us to absorb.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:28 PM

225 posts, read 152,487 times
I don't find Canada stable enough for an annexation of a distant piece of territory. We would also be their colonizers. What are the benefits? Only a tiny amount of prestige. I don't see how they should want to be a part of Canada, also.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I think it's a bad idea for Canada to want to annex anything, period, and most especially not anything south of the 49th parallel. I don't see any point in it since in the south it's all going to be going to hell in a hand-basket in the near future and a lot of them are going to be climate disaster refugees wanting to escape to the north anyway.

Besides which, the Turks and Caicos islands are all British Territory and as such they all have a happy relationship and a mutually beneficial thing going for them so what would be the benefit to England and the islanders to let them go to be annexed by some other country? Seriously, it wouldn't make any sense.

But maybe we should annex Alaska, I could go for that. Alaska is closer and it's big and still has plenty of natural resources and fresh water and it doesn't have too many people there, less than 800,000.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:19 PM

120 posts, read 71,189 times
Short story? Yes, annex them.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it's a bad idea for Canada to want to annex anything, period, and most especially not anything south of the 49th parallel. I don't see any point in it since in the south it's all going to be going to hell in a hand-basket in the near future and a lot of them are going to be climate disaster refugees wanting to escape to the north anyway.

Besides which, the Turks and Caicos islands are all British Territory and as such they all have a happy relationship and a mutually beneficial thing going for them so what would be the benefit to England and the islanders to let them go to be annexed by some other country? Seriously, it wouldn't make any sense.

But maybe we should annex Alaska, I could go for that. Alaska is closer and it's big and still has plenty of natural resources and fresh water and it doesn't have too many people there, less than 800,000.

Turks and Caicos only has 35,000 people. We already take refugees from everywhere else, what would be wrong with welcoming people from a freindly island? People that already speak English?

It would be nice to have a part of Canada with nice beaches and warm weather.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Turks and Caicos only has 35,000 people. We already take refugees from everywhere else, what would be wrong with welcoming people from a freindly island? People that already speak English?

I know how many people there are (it actually was 53,701 as of July 2018 counting the residents on all 40 islands). Check this out --> https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print_tk.html

I never said there was anything wrong with taking refugees from anywhere, I said it's going to become a climate disaster zone down there and many of them are going to become climate refugees and will head to the north anyway. All of those folks from Turks and Caicos would be welcome to come to Canada as far as I'm concerned, but that doesn't mean we have to annex the islands and take responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

It would be nice to have a part of Canada with nice beaches and warm weather.
Have patience Grasshopper. Nice beaches and warm weather are coming directly to you too, very soon.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Have patience Grasshopper. Nice beaches and warm weather are coming directly to you too, very soon.

I look forward to the palm trees and powdery white sand.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
I used to like the idea. It comes up every couple of years, usually during winter, but today no.

I don't see any real advantage for most Canadians. We can already travel pretty much anywhere for winter sun, if that is the main goal of this idea.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I used to like the idea. It comes up every couple of years, usually during winter, but today no.

I don't see any real advantage for most Canadians. We can already travel pretty much anywhere for winter sun, if that is the main goal of this idea.
Really? You see no advantage to Canada adding a tropical island to our territory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada