U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Canada Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands?
Yes, Canada Should Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 6 37.50%
No, Canada Should Not Annex The Turks & Caicos Islands 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2019, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Québec
65 posts, read 15,519 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

"Canada really needs a Hawaii," said Conservative politician Peter Goldring in 2014. "The United States has a Hawaii. Why can’t Canada have a Hawaii?"

Some Canadian politicians have talked about the annexing of the Turks & Caicos islands.

It is a tourist destination for Canadians and part of Britain's crown, like Canada.

Do the people in these islands want to be Canadian?

Even Haiti has been propsed for Canadian annexation. "Haiti should surrender its sovereignty and assign itself to a country that "can be trusted to act in Haiti's long-term interests."

Haiti Should Relinquish It's Sovereignty [To Canada]

Is this a good or a bad idea?

Canada's Strange Quest For It's Own Hawaii

Does The Turks & Caicos Islands Want To Join Canada?

People Still Want Turks & Caicos To Be Canada's 11th Province
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 AM
 
Location: In transition
10,194 posts, read 12,031,638 times
Reputation: 4490
I am for Turks and Caicos to be Canadian as long as the islanders want it. As far as Haiti goes, I say no because the country is too underdeveloped and there are too many of them for us to absorb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Rivière-du-Loup
32 posts, read 6,623 times
Reputation: 40
I don't find Canada stable enough for an annexation of a distant piece of territory. We would also be their colonizers. What are the benefits? Only a tiny amount of prestige. I don't see how they should want to be a part of Canada, also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 07:17 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,539 posts, read 6,745,312 times
Reputation: 14851
I think it's a bad idea for Canada to want to annex anything, period, and most especially not anything south of the 49th parallel. I don't see any point in it since in the south it's all going to be going to hell in a hand-basket in the near future and a lot of them are going to be climate disaster refugees wanting to escape to the north anyway.

Besides which, the Turks and Caicos islands are all British Territory and as such they all have a happy relationship and a mutually beneficial thing going for them so what would be the benefit to England and the islanders to let them go to be annexed by some other country? Seriously, it wouldn't make any sense.

But maybe we should annex Alaska, I could go for that. Alaska is closer and it's big and still has plenty of natural resources and fresh water and it doesn't have too many people there, less than 800,000.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Oakville
24 posts, read 3,962 times
Reputation: 46
Short story? Yes, annex them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,967 posts, read 4,528,989 times
Reputation: 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think it's a bad idea for Canada to want to annex anything, period, and most especially not anything south of the 49th parallel. I don't see any point in it since in the south it's all going to be going to hell in a hand-basket in the near future and a lot of them are going to be climate disaster refugees wanting to escape to the north anyway.

Besides which, the Turks and Caicos islands are all British Territory and as such they all have a happy relationship and a mutually beneficial thing going for them so what would be the benefit to England and the islanders to let them go to be annexed by some other country? Seriously, it wouldn't make any sense.

But maybe we should annex Alaska, I could go for that. Alaska is closer and it's big and still has plenty of natural resources and fresh water and it doesn't have too many people there, less than 800,000.

.
Turks and Caicos only has 35,000 people. We already take refugees from everywhere else, what would be wrong with welcoming people from a freindly island? People that already speak English?

It would be nice to have a part of Canada with nice beaches and warm weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 10:44 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,539 posts, read 6,745,312 times
Reputation: 14851
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post


Turks and Caicos only has 35,000 people. We already take refugees from everywhere else, what would be wrong with welcoming people from a freindly island? People that already speak English?

I know how many people there are (it actually was 53,701 as of July 2018 counting the residents on all 40 islands). Check this out --> https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print_tk.html

I never said there was anything wrong with taking refugees from anywhere, I said it's going to become a climate disaster zone down there and many of them are going to become climate refugees and will head to the north anyway. All of those folks from Turks and Caicos would be welcome to come to Canada as far as I'm concerned, but that doesn't mean we have to annex the islands and take responsibility.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

It would be nice to have a part of Canada with nice beaches and warm weather.
Have patience Grasshopper. Nice beaches and warm weather are coming directly to you too, very soon.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 12:15 AM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,967 posts, read 4,528,989 times
Reputation: 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post




Have patience Grasshopper. Nice beaches and warm weather are coming directly to you too, very soon.

.
I look forward to the palm trees and powdery white sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,858 posts, read 8,917,407 times
Reputation: 7427
I used to like the idea. It comes up every couple of years, usually during winter, but today no.

I don't see any real advantage for most Canadians. We can already travel pretty much anywhere for winter sun, if that is the main goal of this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Canada
4,967 posts, read 4,528,989 times
Reputation: 3331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I used to like the idea. It comes up every couple of years, usually during winter, but today no.

I don't see any real advantage for most Canadians. We can already travel pretty much anywhere for winter sun, if that is the main goal of this idea.
Really? You see no advantage to Canada adding a tropical island to our territory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top