U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 PM

5,735 posts, read 6,617,457 times

Advertisements

Very interesting, fusion. Yep, there are lots of Filipinos even in rural Manitoba. Here's an older link to a story https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...on-in-manitoba

And while this recent article touches on immigration everywhere in Canada, it's more specifically typical of both eastern and western Manitoba. The article mentions the provincial nominee program which did not in fact follow any point system or have any requirement to speak English or French and which resulted in a flood of immigrants to Manitoba. Obviously these immigrants learn English to a point eventually, but since most businesses have speakers of multiple languages it's not seen as a requirement. It's a big advantage to speak English, German, Mennonite Low German and Russian. I believe Winkler/Morden also has fairly high numbers of Mennonites from Paraguay and Mexico who speak Spanish in addition to German/Low German. https://calgaryherald.com/news/natio...for-immigrants

Last edited by netwit; 09-04-2019 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 05:13 AM

12,894 posts, read 11,345,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Very interesting, fusion. Yep, there are lots of Filipinos even in rural Manitoba. Here's an older link to a story https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...on-in-manitoba

And while this recent article touches on immigration everywhere in Canada, it's more specifically typical of both eastern and western Manitoba. The article mentions the provincial nominee program which did not in fact follow any point system or have any requirement to speak English or French and which resulted in a flood of immigrants to Manitoba. Obviously these immigrants learn English to a point eventually, but since most businesses have speakers of multiple languages it's not seen as a requirement. It's a big advantage to speak English, German, Mennonite Low German and Russian. I believe Winkler/Morden also has fairly high numbers of Mennonites from Paraguay and Mexico who speak Spanish in addition to German/Low German. https://calgaryherald.com/news/natio...for-immigrants
Thanks Netwit, I had no idea going into the city that there were so many Filipinos. At first I thought, is it just me but then I started reading up on it when I got to my hotel and confirmed the high numbers.

I was talking to a guy from Ukraine there too. People tend to look at people from Europe and just throw them into the same white basket if you will. In truth, groups from Europe make up a lot of our ethnic and cultural diversity in this country.

Anyway, the second article you posted was fascinating to me in terms of how active the smaller communities have been, in attracting immigrants to grow their economies and fill job vacancies. These immigrants can mean the difference in terms of ensuring these smaller communities in MB and really the entire country, remain strong and are able to provide the services the locals would expect and deserve. It Is nice to see them embracing their new neighbours as well! Thanks for sharing the article

Old 09-05-2019, 08:18 AM

5,016 posts, read 4,558,333 times
I am in winkler every other week. Very nice town but Immigrants are barely noticable in this town. If you are not white older people will stare at you. Many of the mennonites from Paraguay and Mexico never learned Spanish, I have met many of them and none speak Spanish.

The only small town in Manitoba where non white immigrants are noticable is Brandon.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:26 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,345,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am in winkler every other week. Very nice town but Immigrants are barely noticable in this town. If you are not white older people will stare at you. Many of the mennonites from Paraguay and Mexico never learned Spanish, I have met many of them and none speak Spanish.

The only small town in Manitoba where non white immigrants are noticable is Brandon.
Wouldn't someone from Paraguay or Mexico speak Spanish by default? How can you grow up in those countries and not know Spanish? Unless we are talking children of immigrants where the parents never passed the language along.

As for old white people staring - perhaps old white people can appreciate that younger immigrants pay taxes and that benefits said old white people. Are you from El Salvador btw?

Old 09-05-2019, 10:27 PM

5,016 posts, read 4,558,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Are you from El Salvador btw?
No. I am originally from the land of Amanita Muscarias and morning glories.

Old Today, 08:11 AM

930 posts, read 357,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Which leads me to the Forks - I really enjoyed walking along the riverfront here. This place has been inhabited for over 6000 years (check out wall through time sculpture for history of the place), and Just a pleasant place to take a stroll and really impressive park sculptures in the area. Of course, you have to check out the market there - which started as horse stables repurposed and done very well into the present day market. I chose a soup and sandwich from tallgrass prairie and was very good - the bread especially was just amazing. Honestly the best bread I've had - but well I was in the prairies lol.. I decided to eat outside because it was nice out, BIG mistake as I was accosted by wasps. Man, Manitoba has a wasp infestation. It was so bad actually, I had to abandon the idea of eating outside and just went in.

That all said, it was quiet. I don't know if it was because it was a long weekend and a lot of locals just pack up and go away but not very busy. I didn't feel unsafe at any time, but there were quite a bit of beggars on the street. Not out of hand but it was noticeable and you had to just be aware of your surroundings. I was impressed with the airport as well, modern, well designed and good food options.

I was expecting a large Native/Metis population, what shocked me was the Filipino population - massive! Toronto has more in absolute numbers but spread over a much larger city, in Winnipeg there is a much larger representative population and it shows. The black population looked fairly large but whereas in my city mostly from Caribbean, looks like in Winnipeg, they are mainly of African descent. In any event, the city felt quite diverse to me. More so than Vancouver.

I'd say for a weekend/long weekend trip the city is well worth the visit and should be on anyone's list of urban destinations in Canada to visit. Anything longer than a weekend, probably best to rent a car and go out and explore the province. I'd go back but use It as a base to visit Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Thanks UL and Netwit for your recommendations. I enjoyed the trip and Winnipeg is a fine city with a lot of potential imo.
Glad you enjoyed your time here!

As for the bolded bits:

Yes, it's wasp time of year. They only show up late in the summer here, though. Earlier on in August you would have been able to eat outside unmolested! Must more so than the west coast, which is brutal with wasps a lot of the summer.

Yes, a large part of why it was so quiet was that it was Labour Day weekend. Which is the last weekend before the kids go back to school, and a lot of people go to the lake or otherwise holiday outside of the city. This past weekend my husband and I were out at both the Forks and the Exchange, and they were both busy with lots of activities going on. There was also a festival of food trucks down Broadway, plus the biggest CFL football game of the year was happening in town, too.

As for the Filipino population - Tagalog is the number two mother tongue in Winnipeg (just beating out French). In my corner of the city, there are a lot of immigrants from French-speaking African countries, which I imagine is propping up the French numbers. My husband grew up on the west coast, and moving here was certainly a different experience for him as far as cultural diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada