U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

49 posts, read 29,725 times

Advertisements

More safeguards less freedom, try Europe if you are into safeguards, so many safeguards on jobs than you can't barely get one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,149,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
............ My frustration with the US predates Trump, but he has certainly hasn't helped.

I miss my family and New England culture, and even though Mass is better than most states, the lack of workers rights, paid vacation, and universal health care make me a little uncomfortable about bringing my wife back home. In the four years we lived in the States 2010-2014), we never experienced a single racial incident, but on our last visit home to visit family we walked out of a bar because people wouldn't stop staring at us. I know it sounds minor, but the rhetoric coming from the White House certainly doesn't help.

I'm fully aware that Canada isnt some post racial paradise where everything works perfectly, but you have developed certain safeguards that enhance your quality of life...............

..............Am I being silly or not?.............

But strangely enough, back in February I was in Sydney Australia for work and I realized that I was able to interact with local more easily that I do when I'm home in Malaysia or traveling or working around Asia.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Australia is more like the US than Canada.

BUT...forget Trump. He is temporary, like most political leaders. BUT there are significant differences between Canada and the US....that are NOT temporary but cultural.

Really, that is where YOU need to decide where you families values are most align with the "proposed" countries.

Both the US and Canada are fine countries. The US tolerates and encourages "rebels", while Canada is much more of a "rules" country. As I noted earlier...it is why creative Canadians move to the US.

Canada is a great country for folks that like "social structure".

There is less racism in Canada than the US. Canada does have a "select" immigration policy unlike the US which takes all comers...legal and illegal. It is easier to be accepted as an immigrant in Canada since it is likely you will be educated and well-paid. The racism in the US is more economic than cultural, but somehow it tends to be expressed as cultural.

You express a lot of "political" concerns, but you really need a country that meets "your cultural needs".

I emigrated to Canada, being a "social liberal". I lived in BERKELEY before moving to Canada....and realized that Canada is a very "socially conservative" country. It is a corporate culture. The best comment I heard on Canada was that their "socialized medicine" program was viewed as a "corporate benefit".

Not that a "corporate culture" is bad. It just doesn't encourage new ideas. Which is why Canadian migration to the US out numbers US migration to Canada two to one.

In my 20's I hated Canada.....now pushing 70 I can see the advantages of Canada.

The rub, however, Canada is easy to enter in your 20's with professional skills. Impossible after your 50.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,272,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey trust me bolehboleh, i'm not a fan of the cold too. I'm in my 40's now and increasingly I am less of a fan, but work and family are more important to me than just picking up and moving to S.E Asia myself lol.. It is no secret in here, that the part of the world you are in now, is my favourite. Toronto has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Very much so that it is no longer much of a point judging it from so long ago.

I agree with you about Halifax though - it is an awesome little city. There is also a decent little slice of diversity there. Its on a smaller scale than the larger cities, but you still get that mix of Black, Arab, Chinese, South Asian and a respectable number of Filipino's and even a small number -860 of them from 'SE Asia' so as per StatsCan.

Anyway, you are right, no harm in putting out feelers and getting information in order to make a sound decision. You seem to be a type who is open minded enough, and smart enough to make an informed decision - except your historical judgement of Toronto vs how it is more like now lol

Good luck buddy!
And thank you very much for the advice

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

478 posts, read 287,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I'm an American originally from Massachusetts and I currently live in Malaysia. My wife's and my long term plans are to eventually return to the US, yet we dont have an exact time frame for that as of now.

My wife Wife is Indian- Malaysian, but she lived in Australia when for 4 years, and in the US with me for about 4 years as well.A big part of me would like to return to the homeland, but I think I've become disenfranchised with the state of affairs back home. My frustration with the US predates Trump, but he has certainly hasn't helped.

I miss my family and New England culture, and even though Mass is better than most states, the lack of workers rights, paid vacation, and universal health care make me a little uncomfortable about bringing my wife back home. In the four years we lived in the States 2010-2014), we never experienced a single racial incident, but on our last visit home to visit family we walked out of a bar because people wouldn't stop staring at us. I know it sounds minor, but the rhetoric coming from the White House certainly doesn't help.

I'm fully aware that Canada isnt some post racial paradise where everything works perfectly, but you have developed certain safeguards that enhance your quality of life.

Recently I contacted a lawyer to see what the process would be to migrate to Canada, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I know the process will take some time,but I have to ask, is it even worth it? Would pur quality if life be any better than if we moved back to New England?

If we did, I would prefer to be closer to family so I'd prefer to be in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or PEI.

Truth be told, I'd rather go to Nova Scotia or New Brunswick than Toronto or Ottawa because they share a lot of similarities to my native New England, but I also realize where the jobs are

Am I being silly or not?
I only just moved to Canada from America earlier this month, but so far it’s been great for me! People here seem much more laidback, at ease, happier, healthier, and less overweight than they were back home. I like the general air here a lot, I feel like I “vibe” pretty well, and it’s reflected in my mood/mental health recently.

However, as someone who’s American, sorta young (24) came here alone, is studying at a Canadian university, and whose parents paid for my moving costs, it was MUCH easier for me to come here than it would be for most people. But if you can move here it just might be worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or