U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:33 AM

22,309 posts, read 27,768,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
First of all, as someone outside of Canada who hasn’t been there in many years, what is the sentiment towards Quebec in the English-speaking provinces? Based on some of these posts, I’d say it’s indifferent at best or maybe even hostile. .

There is still hostility out there but it's at the lowest level it's been in my lifetime, which spans 5 decades.

It's not passionate love either. Maybe "ambivalence" would be a good word? Or "resignation"? Even "maturity"?

We're there, and so are they. Neither is going anywhere anytime soon. Make the best of it then, which is actually pretty good by global standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Now I know about the independence movements and how it kind of ebbs and flows with the times, but is there a fear there that they couldn’t survive independently?

Quebec could most definitely survive independently. It would be a top 20 or maybe even top 15 country worldwide in terms of standard of living.

The real question is whether it would be better off than it is now as part of Canada.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Most western countries don’t have two national languages, so this isn’t a familiar dilemma. .

It's more common than some people think. Belgium and Switzerland have multiple languages. Ireland is a bit different but it arguably has two. There are other examples as well.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It’s to my understanding that Quebec is really middle-of-the-pack among Canadian provinces in terms of population and economy

It's the second most populated province by a fairly wide margin and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future, and has between a fifth and quarter of the entire country's people. It also has the second largest city in the country which is quite far ahead of the third city in terms of size.

In terms of the economy it is still mid-pack in terms of wealth I agree though this is due to a history of poverty and a noticeable lack of "old money". In contemporary terms Quebec now has the lowest unemployment rate in the country for the first time in recorded history. This reflects the fact that Quebec's economy has been ramping up for a couple of decades now and has effectively closed what used to be a huge gap compared to the rest of the country.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 8,971,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would strongly disagree that most Canadians outside Quebec have a "hurry up and separate" attitude.

It is true they don't think about Quebec and the separation issue much, but they would still prefer Quebec not separate. But if Quebec wants to go that route, while most think it's the wrong idea most wouldn't stand in Quebec's way.
Out here in BC, I would agree. I don't hear people talking much about separation, but when they do, it's usually thought of as a Quebec decision and from my experience, most do not want it to leave.

They may not understand why Quebeckers sometimes feel this way, and do think of some of them are whiners, when really, they have been given such leeway within Canada.

If, and it's a big if, the time comes, I have yet to hear anyone say it would be a violent event. It would be done methodically and legally.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:42 PM

34,854 posts, read 42,070,361 times
Quote:
I would strongly disagree that most Canadians outside Quebec have a "hurry up and separate" attitude.

It is true they don't think about Quebec and the separation issue much, but they would still prefer Quebec not separate. But if Quebec wants to go that route, while most think it's the wrong idea most wouldn't stand in Quebec's way.
You can disagree all you want but it probably comes down to who you are talking to in my case all the people i talk to are English and at one point resided in Quebec, they all left due to the absurd linguistic expectations of the Quebec government so i guess they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder regarding Quebec.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 2,227,503 times
Honestly, Canadians - anglophone or quebecois - should all feel extremely fortunate to have the current situation where there is a wide degree of tolerance, accommodation, and mutual respect on both sides, even when it comes to sensitive issues such as separation.

In most countries around the world, this would easily descend into civil war, or at the very least with one side (the majority) actively suppressing the separating minority via force. Just look at the recent headline news regarding the status of Hong Kong and how the HK and Beijing governments used violent force to suppress all discussions regarding a higher degree of autonomy for Hong Kong (forget about separation, that is a taboo word in HK unless you want a one way ticket to prison). Or the independence of Taiwan - with Beijing threatening to deploy 1300+ short range nuclear war heads should the island announce independence.

Quebec and the rest of Canada are extremely fortunate.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:06 PM

744 posts, read 865,817 times
Quote:

In terms of the economy it is still mid-pack in terms of wealth I agree though this is due to a history of poverty and a noticeable lack of "old money". In contemporary terms Quebec now has the lowest unemployment rate in the country for the first time in recorded history. This reflects the fact that Quebec's economy has been ramping up for a couple of decades now and has effectively closed what used to be a huge gap compared to the rest of the country.
If all 10 provinces were standalone countries my guess is Quebec would do better than most. It has a broader, more diverse economy than all others save for Ontario.

While western Canada and the maritimes rely almost solely on natural resources Quebec still has asubstantial industrial base along with some high-tech (mostly software and grahics) , medical research and manufacturing on top of ample natural resources and top notch farmland from the NY border up to the Sorel-Tracy area.

After all the above it still gets billion$ in windfall from the ROC year after year…..now theres a head scratcher.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 8,971,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Honestly, Canadians - anglophone or quebecois - should all feel extremely fortunate to have the current situation where there is a wide degree of tolerance, accommodation, and mutual respect on both sides, even when it comes to sensitive issues such as separation.

In most countries around the world, this would easily descend into civil war, or at the very least with one side (the majority) actively suppressing the separating minority via force. Just look at the recent headline news regarding the status of Hong Kong and how the HK and Beijing governments used violent force to suppress all discussions regarding a higher degree of autonomy for Hong Kong (forget about separation, that is a taboo word in HK unless you want a one way ticket to prison). Or the independence of Taiwan - with Beijing threatening to deploy 1300+ short range nuclear war heads should the island announce independence.

Quebec and the rest of Canada are extremely fortunate.
I agree and I hope I'm right about any separation being non-violent. It wouldn't serve any purpose.

For the record, I do not want Quebec to leave.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:08 PM

64 posts, read 32,329 times
Quote:
First of all, as someone outside of Canada who hasn’t been there in many years, what is the sentiment towards Quebec in the English-speaking provinces? Based on some of these posts, I’d say it’s indifferent at best or maybe even hostile. It’s to my understanding that Quebec is really middle-of-the-pack among Canadian provinces in terms of population and economy and that if they left there’d be concern about the Atlantic Provinces leaving. Now I know about the independence movements and how it kind of ebbs and flows with the times, but is there a fear there that they couldn’t survive independently?

In terms of the AC case regardless of the couple's intentions, it brings national and international attention to Canada's bilingual status. Most western countries don’t have two national languages, so this isn’t a familiar dilemma. It sounds like Québécois want to preserve their culture and language and that means there will continue to be struggles in Canada with the French for a long time.
Basically Canada were the French colonies like the USA was the British colonies but we got conquered. During this they removed the population of Acadia and renamed it Nova Scotia...that was a large chunk!

After that there were some English speakers who moved here afterwards and colonized us. Lots of them were people who hated the war for American independence and sided with Great Britain and lost.

They had made the French speaker "Canadiens" into a 2nd class of people. Then they told us things would change and there would be a Canada with French & English working together...

So the remaining French speaking people in Québec moved to the new western territories. Ontario, Manitoba, Sakechewan..even more far west than that!Then when there were too many French they changed their mind, so French was banned in all those places and French speakers were made 2nd class "foreign" again..(when we are who started Canada)..?

It was insulting for a English speaker to be called Canadian until a few decades back ago...! Then they ironically took our name "Canadians" so we started calling ourselves Québecois to distinguish..

So it's better these days but there is still some disdain which exists and that's where it comes from.

Most of pro-independence people like me just don't think we have a government that still doesn't ever represent us. We are a different country in all but name. So when some posters talk about how Quebec is just 1 of 10 provinces it is insulting because we aren't just a political boundary like PEI or Manitoba we are a completely different nation who aligns with our provincial border.

Last edited by No Manners; 09-07-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or