U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2019, 04:18 AM
 
22 posts, read 8,638 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Whatever you think of the couple, it shouldn't be so hard to understand by a huge Canadian company that Canadian is a bilingual country and both languages have equal standing. The Alberta types who are moaning here would have a hissy fit if they boarded a plane and everything was in French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2019, 05:33 AM
 
35,224 posts, read 42,910,332 times
Reputation: 30607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
Whatever you think of the couple, it shouldn't be so hard to understand by a huge Canadian company that Canadian is a bilingual country and both languages have equal standing. The Alberta types who are moaning here would have a hissy fit if they boarded a plane and everything was in French.
Canada is only a bilingual country in as much as Quebec is French and the rest of the country is English Canada being bilingual doesnt mean all Canadins speak 2 languages. Also we arent talking about everything being English or French we are talking about the language on a seatbelt tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,969 posts, read 28,466,999 times
Reputation: 9035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada is only a bilingual country in as much as Quebec is French and the rest of the country is English Canada being bilingual doesnt mean all Canadins speak 2 languages. Also we arent talking about everything being English or French we are talking about the language on a seatbelt tag.
We are talking about the law and also way more violations than that. Read the articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,969 posts, read 28,466,999 times
Reputation: 9035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfaring Stranger View Post
Whatever you think of the couple, it shouldn't be so hard to understand by a huge Canadian company that Canadian is a bilingual country and both languages have equal standing. The Alberta types who are moaning here would have a hissy fit if they boarded a plane and everything was in French.
Plus, Air Canada has only had 50 years to "get" this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 08:44 AM
 
2,640 posts, read 2,298,083 times
Reputation: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I am all for cultural preservation of the French Language in French speaking parts of Quebec but not by way of frivolous lawsuits. The couple could have simply complained to Air Canada to modify their language provisions but they took it one step too far. It was an arrogant and divisive move on their part. Someone from Puerto Rico cannot sue an American airline because there are no signs in Spanish on an airplane. Someone from Hong Kong cannot demand a Mainland Chinese company print in traditional characters instead of or in addition to simplified characters or demand that there are Cantonese speakers on each flight to and from the Mainland. Corporations are more sensitive to customers needs than the past and many will provide signage in a foreign language or a bilingual flight attendant as a courtesy. Perhaps this was what Air Canada ought to have done but a lawsuit like this could actually discourage them from doing anymore than what they are doing and backfire.
I'm not agreeing with this couple's actions (2 years worth of law suits over a $21k compensation basically tells everyone they have too much time on their hands).

However, French in the Canadian context is very different from Spanish in the U.S. or traditional/simplified Chinese in HK. That is because for the last 50 years Canada has implemented a series of federal and provincial legislation that enforce official bilingualism.

The degree of bilingualism requirement varies from province to province - some provinces are French-optional for private corporations while some others like Quebec are French first, English-optional. Air Canada is HQ'ed out of Quebec, with Montreal being one of its "global hubs" for flight transfers, and you can bet that bilingualism is applied across all of its flights regardless of where it flies. This isn't a matter of choice, but provincial and federal legislation that mandates compliance - the Federal Official Languages Act and Quebec's own Charter of the French Language.

Canada Official Languages Act of 1969: https://www.clo-ocol.gc.ca/en/language_rights/act

Regardless of region, all federal institutions and crown corporations must comply with the federal Official Languages Act which guarantees bilingualism in these institutions. Air Canada is not a federal or crown corporation, but it is subject to Quebec's French language legislation as it is a Quebec-registered incorporated company.

Lastly, I'm a frequent flyer of AC, and I would never have wasted my time with their "customer complaints" department because it is basically a blackhole that you'll never hear back from. The only way to get their attention, as a customer, is by litigation or media attention, so in this regard, I think this couple did the smart thing. Also, the quality of some of Air Canada's French-speaking staff is pretty abysmal - some speak so little French that they are practically reading from a script even on flights between France/Montreal - which is unacceptable given the market they are serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 09:52 AM
 
19,018 posts, read 10,901,943 times
Reputation: 13963
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Well, which one will it be?
I don't shive-a-git either way but, if I had to guess ….. the infantile among you know they're merely making noise for the sake of making noise and will continue …... making nothing but noise.

In typical fashion, you neglected to admit to your error in denying there was any "threat" in your post where you were shown very clearly; indeed there was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 10:14 AM
 
19,018 posts, read 10,901,943 times
Reputation: 13963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Plus, Air Canada has only had 50 years to "get" this.
And so too have Quebecers only had fifty years to understand the opening of all seat belt buckles for the majority of the planets inhabitants being intuitive now with the ones in their car probably having no markings whatsoever today.

C'mon A/J, their point could have been made using your argument of "50 years" of experience without resorting to litigation and instead embarrassing them in the public forum. However, if faux outrage and petty revenge for perceived slights is the actual primary motivation ……
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,093 posts, read 27,569,972 times
Reputation: 27847
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And so too have Quebecers only had fifty years to understand the opening of all seat belt buckles for the majority of the planets inhabitants being intuitive now with the ones in their car probably having no markings whatsoever today.

C'mon A/J, their point could have been made using your argument of "50 years" of experience without resorting to litigation and instead embarrassing them in the public forum. However, if faux outrage and petty revenge for perceived slights is the actual primary motivation ……
Exactly. So this is the question that begs to be asked: If there was NO word on the buckle, would they have sued? If not, then it's a petty French vs. English suit. If yes, then they should never leave their home; the world is too unsafe for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 10:38 AM
 
2,640 posts, read 2,298,083 times
Reputation: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And so too have Quebecers only had fifty years to understand the opening of all seat belt buckles for the majority of the planets inhabitants being intuitive now with the ones in their car probably having no markings whatsoever today.

C'mon A/J, their point could have been made using your argument of "50 years" of experience without resorting to litigation and instead embarrassing them in the public forum. However, if faux outrage and petty revenge for perceived slights is the actual primary motivation ……
It's not whether they have 50 years to get this right or wrong. AC is a Quebec-registered incorporated company, based out of Montreal, and therefore is entirely subject to Quebec's French language legislation. Quebec is a French-first province with regards to all customer-facing and internal communication and signage, and this is applicable to all Quebec companies regardless of size. I work at a British multi-national company based in Quebec - and we are also subject to the same language legislation as AC when it comes to internal and external communication: French a must, English optional. Don't like the law? Petition with your local MPs to amend them - it's within everyone's right.

I agree that this couple's got way too much free time on their hands and simply picked a loophole to sue Air Canada for some extra $$, but it is also AC's full responsibility to comply fully with the laws and regulations of its home jurisdiction. If AC is a mom and pop shop with a couple of employees, then I can totally understand and sympathize that they probably don't have the resources to comply with every language legislation. But being a company that made record profits last 2 years (nearly $3 billion in after-tax profits) as a result of Canadians pay sky-high fares, increased baggage fees, and a host of other "fuel surcharge" fees, I find it hard to justify that AC can't find a few lawyers and translators to get its French signage and customer-facing communication right. Heck, AC pays a full-time team of marketing pros making 30-second videos of their "in-flight food and drink offerings" on Instagram and Snapchat 24/7, yet they can't invest a little more to get their customer-facing languages right to comply with our national and provincial language legislations? FYI, I fly on a bi-weekly basis for work with AC and have Star Alliance Gold status with them, but I find it hard to sympathize with a billion-dollar profit-making machine in this case.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 09-02-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,969 posts, read 28,466,999 times
Reputation: 9035
There has been a litany of Official Languages Act violations and complaints against Air Canada over the years. Not just by this couple. And not just about seat belt buckles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top