U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 11:16 AM

18,543 posts, read 10,559,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
It's not whether they have 50 years to get this right or wrong. AC is a Quebec-registered incorporated company, based out of Montreal, and therefore is entirely subject to Quebec's French language legislation. Quebec is a French-first province with regards to all customer-facing and internal communication and signage, and this is applicable to all Quebec companies regardless of size. I work at a British multi-national company based in Quebec - and we are also subject to the same language legislation as AC when it comes to internal and external communication: French a must, English optional. Don't like the law? Petition with your local MPs to amend them - it's within everyone's right.

I agree that this couple's got way too much free time on their hands and simply picked a loophole to sue Air Canada for some extra $$, but it is also AC's full responsibility to comply fully with the laws and regulations of its home jurisdiction. If AC is a mom and pop shop with a couple of employees, then I can totally understand and sympathize that they probably don't have the resources to comply with every language legislation. But being a company that made record profits last 2 years (nearly $3 billion in after-tax profits) as a result of Canadians pay sky-high fares, increased baggage fees, and a host of other "fuel surcharge" fees, I find it hard to justify that AC can't find a few lawyers and translators to get its French signage and customer-facing communication right. Heck, AC pays a full-time team of marketing pros making 30-second videos of their "in-flight food and drink offerings" on Instagram and Snapchat 24/7, yet they can't invest a little more to get their customer-facing languages right to comply with our national and provincial language legislations? FYI, I fly on a bi-weekly basis for work with AC and have Star Alliance Gold status with them, but I find it hard to sympathize with a billion-dollar profit-making machine in this case.
I understand and essentially agree with your position regarding Air Canada.

I do also however, question the "customer facing" aspect of your reasoning. It is my belief that NO ONE today bothers to even look at what is stamped into the metal buckle of a seat belt and had Air Canada installed buckles with NO markings whatsoever they would not have even noticed. They are the type that are seeking out issues to be outraged over. A rather petty form of life experience to be sure.

I would ask only two questions of you; would this have been the method you would have chosen to make Air Canada aware of it's legal obligations vis-à-vis the buckle of a seat belt and; would this nonsense also apply to the serving cart having only English along it's bottom edge saying "Manufactured in Canada"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 11:35 AM

22,252 posts, read 27,720,986 times
We are having a lot of trouble steering the discussion away from the "damned Frenchies being unreasonable about language again" rabbit hole.
It is all very facile.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:28 PM

2,586 posts, read 2,222,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I understand and essentially agree with your position regarding Air Canada.

It is my belief that NO ONE today bothers to even look at what is stamped into the metal buckle of a seat belt and had Air Canada installed buckles with NO markings whatsoever they would not have even noticed. They are the type that are seeking out issues to be outraged over.

Would this have been the method you would have chosen to make Air Canada aware of its legal obligations vis-à-vis the buckle of a seat belt and
1. Would this be my preferred method to make a complaint to Air Canada? Absolutely not. If AC actually had a customers relations and complaints platform that actually listens and responds to its customers in time, then I'd totally use that platform. Unfortunately, such a responsive and transparent platform doesn't exist for the largest airline in the country. On a flight from Paris 3 months ago, my baggage was delayed and then severely damaged by AC - I wrote an email complaint, as an AC frequent flyer, and received an automated message 2 months after denying my request for compensation with no further explanation. I was on the verge of contacting my lawyer to file for compensation, but luckily, I had insurance coverage for luggage and didn't have to resort to that. I completely understand why many passengers resort to the litigation route to expose AC's rampant incompetencies.

2. I agree that the couple is essentially seeking a fight where none exists. However, as the Superior Court judge stated, they are also not wrong because AC has indeed broken its bilingual compliance as governed by the Official Languages Act, The Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and Quebec's Charter of the French Language which governs all QC-registered private corporations. In this case, I would simply blame AC's own legal and customer relations team for not doing their jobs and due diligence properly.

Once again, the court judgement against AC is not a matter "what an average person would've done", but rather that AC has broken compliance under the various national and provincial official language legislation.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:40 PM

743 posts, read 864,539 times
Those two may be in for some customized treats in their next on-flight meals, the attendants will call it french-cuisine I am sure

But given their history with AC they may have already developed a taste for booger-stew and other such delicacy

Old 09-02-2019, 03:50 PM

34,784 posts, read 42,006,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We are talking about the law and also way more violations than that. Read the articles.
So in order to comply with Canadas linguistic laws all planes/trains/boats and cars should be deconsructed to make sure they are in compliance with linguistic laws? would that make Quebec happy?

Old 09-02-2019, 04:00 PM

1,509 posts, read 659,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This is so funny lol.
It’s serious to some Canadians, so I’m not laughing, but as language mix-ups go, it reminded me of an incident on an internal Royal Air Maroc flight, from Agadir, Morocco, to Casablanca, Morocco many years ago.
The flight attendants were all Moroccan women, who spoke only Arabic and French.
When they came around with the drinks cart, I was half dozing, the FA said, “Et pour vous m’sieu?”
I looked up and said, “Est-ce que vous avez Crown Royal, ma’mselle?”
She looked at me with widening eyes, as I’d just asked for a kiss.
An Australian guy, sitting behind me, said, “Bad move dude, Muslim country, alcohol is out.”

Old 09-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 28 days ago)

5,001 posts, read 4,548,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Gaspe is a spectacularly beautiful place that i've had the pleasure to visit many times IMO Quebecs best kept secret, and i speak a passable French so you are right that for now i'm integrating into Quebec society.
There are many places in the US I would like to visit but in all honesty I would much rather visit the Gaspe region than Florida.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:28 PM

930 posts, read 323,824 times
It seems like part of an overarching and quite interesting strategy by Quebec nationalists to basically force independence just by being so annoying that the rest of Canada lose their appetite for keeping them around.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 PM

490 posts, read 438,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It seems like part of an overarching and quite interesting strategy by Quebec nationalists to basically force independence just by being so annoying that the rest of Canada lose their appetite for keeping them around.
They’re certainly not Quebec nationalists, they’re from Ontario!

Old 09-03-2019, 12:56 PM

18,543 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
They’re certainly not Quebec nationalists, they’re from Ontario!
Moving to another province to advantage whatever the benefits derived has never stopped any French Canadian from being Quebec nationalists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or