U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 01:14 PM

36 posts, read 8,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Moving to another province to advantage whatever the benefits derived has never stopped any French Canadian from being Quebec nationalists.
I don't think so. Very few Quebecois move to other provinces. What benefits would I get by moving to another province? Social programs in Quebec are typically more extensive. Plus, the "French-Canadian" people in places like ON or NB are not really separatist. So no I don't think that is accurate at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 02:49 PM

16,796 posts, read 27,044,634 times
He works for the Federal Government, the hub of which is in Ottawa. I'm guessing that he wouldn't be this, ummm, passionate about his language rights if he wasn't originally from Quebec, though.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 PM

22,261 posts, read 27,720,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
He works for the Federal Government, the hub of which is in Ottawa. I'm guessing that he wouldn't be this, ummm, passionate about his language rights if he wasn't originally from Quebec, though.
Francophone Canadians can be passionate about their language rights regardless of their province of origin. This is quite distinct from the question of separatism.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 PM

18,545 posts, read 10,559,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
I don't think so. Very few Quebecois move to other provinces. What benefits would I get by moving to another province? Social programs in Quebec are typically more extensive. Plus, the "French-Canadian" people in places like ON or NB are not really separatist. So no I don't think that is accurate at all.
Nonsense.

Lower taxes. Job transfers. Not everyone thinks in terms of "social programs" when desiring to move.

You are free to think what you like but having been on the designated representative and recipient end of over two hundred such transfers to Ontario from Ville La Salle, Ajax and Quebec City, I can assure you that of the whole, a predominant number were die hard separatists.

You need to open your mind to the fact that some make a financial decision to move based upon pension accruements achieved through years of service, among a host of other considerations people are faced with if their jobs are changing. Some may even do so for reasons of the economic uncertainty separatist nonsense causes only to still believe firmly in the concept.

Being hypocritical is not solely confined to les autres.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Francophone Canadians can be passionate about their language rights regardless of their province of origin. This is quite distinct from the question of separatism.
A very good point.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:33 PM

16,796 posts, read 27,044,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I said nothing about separatism and was just guessing that he was originally from Quebec. Someone upthread mentioned him living in a different province, and I discovered that he works for the Feds so I was guessing that he moved. Nothing more, nothing less. I suppose that I could dig a bit deeper and see if he's originally from Quebec but, honestly, I couldn't care less.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I said nothing about separatism and was just guessing that he was originally from Quebec. Someone upthread mentioned him living in a different province, and I discovered that he works for the Feds so I was guessing that he moved. Nothing more, nothing less. I suppose that I could dig a bit deeper and see if he's originally from Quebec but, honestly, I couldn't care less.
The auto default to separatist was introduced by the poster Quebec is my Country and I and ran with it in my response without pausing to consider the point A/J subsequently made.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:27 PM

12,887 posts, read 11,328,908 times
Some may say it is just a buckle - but Air Canada has been in business for a loooong time. They have a long established relationship with the major aircraft manufacturers and this established requirement is nothing new. They are highly representative of the global image of Canada and they should in every possible way, ensure that all communication, especially public facing and related to safety, should be in both official languages. If it takes another 21K dollars for them to get it - so be it!

Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Status: "El Paso in our thoughts and prayers" (set 29 days ago)

5,007 posts, read 4,548,943 times
Some one on the forum recommended recognizing first nation languages as official languages. I can see how that would go out here in Manitoba. Businesses would be getting sued left and right.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

22,261 posts, read 27,720,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The auto default to separatist was introduced by the poster Quebec is my Country and I and ran with it in my response without pausing to consider the point A/J subsequently made.
Though my point (and therefore yours) is still valid. Which is that francophone militancy in Canada is not limited to Quebec or even to people originally from Quebec. Though it does sometimes manifest itself differently due to variable political and demographic realities on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or