Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 10:08 PM

26,777 posts, read 37,738,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
. Perhaps this was what Air Canada ought to have done but a lawsuit like this could actually discourage them from doing anymore than what they are doing and backfire.
Not likely, as they have a legal obligation and this ruling will make them realize they should be taking it more seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,108,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If this doesn't meet the standard of vexatious litigant, I don't know what does.

The Federal Court has ordered Air Canada to pay $21,000 to an Ottawa couple for repeated violations of their French-language language rights, including seatbelts on which the instruction to "lift" the buckle was marked only in English.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lynda-michel-thibodeau-french-language-rights-air-canada-1.5265126

As one of "those" anglos, it's things like this that annoy the crap out of me.
A complaint would have been enough.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:37 AM

26,777 posts, read 37,738,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
A complaint would have been enough.
If you look at the whole story they did try that but it went nowhere.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
I absolutely love Michel & Lynda Thibodeau, they are the new heroes of our times and I admire them already more than our flop politicians
To the rest of Canadians they are nothing more than the usual linguistic whiners from Quebec and give a good example of how extreme language issues are in Quebec.
More whining from theThibodeaus =http://www.thecourt.ca/7-up-for-your...-v-air-canada/

Old 08-31-2019, 07:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,386,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Don't be dramatic, BruSan.

Can I admit something to you?

You are one of my favorite posters.

In fact, one of the only ones that stand for something.

This is largely due to your usual wit, banter, and unwavering steadfastness in your beliefs.

In the last post you failed deliver neither wit nor banter. Steadfastness was nowhere to be found.

So the result is this:

There were no threats in the aforementioned post.

Characteristically, you may be exhibiting parcels of the renowned Canadian "inferiority complex".

A bit like a small man jumping to defence all too early.

My official statement is that no feelings were intended to be hurt.
Aw PB, that's so nice you think of me as "witty" and being imbued with "unwavering steadfastness". I'm immeasurably complimented by having had the beneficence of your grace. About it's sincerity however; the jury's still out on that bit.

"If Canadian government boasts about being bilingual and Air Canada is operated by the government, either become bilingual or lose the charade, and Quebec.

Which one will it be?"

That bolded part above is a classic example of a threat.

As to the rest of your response; please take note I made no comment about either the veracity of the suite by the Thibodeaus or the judgement. I happen to agree with anything serving to deliver Air Canada a degree of embarrassment and causing some painful humility.

I too am in complete admiration for your attached "Hurt Feewings" form and can only hope it appears at the entrance (and exit) to every venue hosting those Quebecers with a popular indoctrinated mindset to whine incessantly over "insignificant trivia" without mention of any particular "trivia" (there are so many after all) that might be your first default thought.

Throwing in all of that usual bumpf about inferiority complex seems somewhat ironic in light of the suit we're referencing being another classic example of the exact same thing.

Lastly; resorting to personal insults is just one more tell of a personality endowed with all those you like to toss as accusations as indiscriminately as confetti at a wedding.

Ta da.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:44 AM

542 posts, read 498,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aw PB, that's so nice you think of me as "witty" and being imbued with "unwavering steadfastness". I'm immeasurably complimented by having had the beneficence of your grace. About it's sincerity however; the jury's still out on that bit.

"If Canadian government boasts about being bilingual and Air Canada is operated by the government, either become bilingual or lose the charade, and Quebec.

Which one will it be?"

That bolded part above is a classic example of a threat.

As to the rest of your response; please take note I made no comment about either the veracity of the suite by the Thibodeaus or the judgement. I happen to agree with anything serving to deliver Air Canada a degree of embarrassment and causing some painful humility.

I too am in complete admiration for your attached "Hurt Feewings" form and can only hope it appears at the entrance (and exit) to every venue hosting those Quebecers with a popular indoctrinated mindset to whine incessantly over "insignificant trivia" without mention of any particular "trivia" (there are so many after all) that might be your first default thought.

Throwing in all of that usual bumpf about inferiority complex seems somewhat ironic in light of the suit we're referencing being another classic example of the exact same thing.

Lastly; resorting to personal insults is just one more tell of a personality endowed with all those you like to toss as accusations as indiscriminately as confetti at a wedding.

Ta da.
Well, which one will it be?

Old 09-01-2019, 05:00 PM

518 posts, read 392,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
To the rest of Canadians they are nothing more than the usual linguistic whiners from Quebec and give a good example of how extreme language issues are in Quebec.
More whining from theThibodeaus =7UP for Your Rights: Thibodeau v Air Canada - TheCourt.ca

They are not WHINERS, instead they are WINNERS 'cause that is what they are

As far as I know, they are not from Québec but from Ontario (Ottawa). Real Québécois never leave their province for the rest of America which is underperforming in beauty (unless it is Europe + only exception Florida perhaps) (who wants to fly to Toronto?? People with good taste do not visit concrete jungles). I'm not surprised that this complaint is coming from an Ottawa couple because ordinary Québécois would never fly with an airplane to the other occupying provinces, they would only fly with international flights (where these rules do not apply), so Québécois are usually not confronted with the Air Canada issue which is kind of an obsolete airline anyway [an airline that mostly only Anglo-Canadians use anyway, like maybe 70% Anglos, 29% Allophones, 1% francophones]. And IF they fly to Florida, this is via Plattsburgh Airport in NY State where once again these rules do not apply. So actually Air Canada is non-existent to ordinary Québécois and it is a flop airline anyway, which explains why so far it was never a problem for Québécois and problems can only arise for those outside of Q in e.g. Ottawa.

You Jambo also spent your summer in Gaspé and not in California, you are also slowly integrating into Q-society - great!

+ it is not just the seatbelt inscription, Michel & Lynda found 22 violations and the decision is based upon these 22 cases

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 09-01-2019 at 05:38 PM..

Old 09-01-2019, 10:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,057,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

You Jambo also spent your summer in Gaspé and not in California, you are also slowly integrating into Q-society - great!

Gaspe is a spectacularly beautiful place that i've had the pleasure to visit many times IMO Quebecs best kept secret, and i speak a passable French so you are right that for now i'm integrating into Quebec society.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,191,572 times
This is ridiculous. This couple should not be awarded anything, because they didn't really suffer any damages. So what if the French signs are smaller or they're missing from the buckle. They are still videos, instruction cards, etc. that are in French. The couple needs to be added to the no fly list. Maybe the Canadian appeals court actually ruled against them. I remember 5 years ago, they were also in the news for suing Air Canada, because the woman was served 7 Up when she requested for Sprite in French on a flight from Toronto to Atlanta. Were they expecting that the plane would go back and get her a Sprite just because she requested in French? Or a flight attendant should apologize to her in fluent French just because they don't serve Sprite?

All airline seat belts I have seen either says "LIFT" or no words written on them. Even flying Chinese, Korean or Japanese airlines in their own countries, I haven't seen any seat belt with Chinese, Korean or Japanese words on the buckle.

If Air Canada were to be penalized, I think the money is better off given to places like giving free French lessons or something similar, rather than give to this litigious couple for some imaginary damages done.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 AM

8,850 posts, read 8,361,988 times
This is so funny lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada