U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

5 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

Hello Canada,

Iím sure there have been other threads like this in the past, but things change and Iíd like to gain insights from the people who live in Canada as it is today, right now.

Iím a non-Canadian who is interested in and has many questions about your country. The point of this thread is to hopefully get a wide range of opinions and facts from you all about the great many questions I have.

Thank you all in advance for any information youíre able to provide. Any info or opinion is much appreciated. 

The questions I have are mainly regarding climate, disease, population, general pros and cons of Canadian society, nature, and homesteading for those of you who live that type of lifestyle.

A big question I have is about mosquitoes and ticks and particularly the diseases associated with them. In which areas does Canada have them and in which areas do you not? Has anyone noticed large quantities of ticks in your region, and if so has lyme disease been an issue for yourself or the people you know? Has anyone noticed their populations migrating further north over the years?

Has anyone noticed any other noteworthy changes regarding climate change/weather in Canada over the years?

Does anyone here homestead? If so Iím very curious to know about your region, what youíre able to grow, and what youíre not able to grow. Also any complications youíve come across homesteading in your region.

How are the nature protection laws in Canada? I think I read that about 40% of Canada is forest. Thatís great, but looking at a map the number almost seems low.

What is your favorite province of Canada, and why do you love it more than the others? What issues do you have with it?

Lastly, Iím curious to know about any problems you find with your country, things that bother you, or that you just wish were different.

Thank you again to all with answers. Any other info, even if unrelated, is also appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:38 AM

34,755 posts, read 41,961,464 times
I live in Montreal and really enjoy being a Canadian ,IMO best country in the world , for pros and cons? many sites on Google will answer that question.=
https://www.google.ca/search?source=...10.5Me7snmHNUE

Old Today, 11:16 AM

4,702 posts, read 8,566,558 times
We used to not have any lyme disease almost anywhere in Canada, but with climate change ticks have moved north into many areas of Southern Canada. More northern ares of the country appear to still be lyme disease free. Mosquitos are an issue anywhere with large areas of still pools of fresh water, swampy areas or areas with lots of lakes. This generally excludes coastal areas of the country from having too many mosquitos.

Nature protection laws in Canada are generally considered fairly decent, but I don't know all that much about the specifics. I'm hoping someone from a more rural area will be able to address your questions which are very relevant to rural living and that rural people would generally have the answers to. Here on CITY-data you get lots of urbanites like me who aren't too well versed in these issues.

Old Today, 12:04 PM

7,560 posts, read 6,757,260 times
Forestvibe, where do you presently live? Have you been thinking you might be interested to immigrate to Canada and is that the reason why you're asking all these questions? I'm just curious because in your other posts you are stating you're thinking about moving to Maine, USA.

Just so you know, since the insects seems to be a particularly important concern for you, mosquitoes are everywhere in Canada and there is a lot of them. That is because there are a lot of lakes, rivers, swamps, wetlands and damp forestlands with areas of standing water in them all throughout Canada. Even in big cities where watery areas get sprayed for mosquitoes there are still always some wet areas that can't be sprayed and there are always some mosquitoes that come into those cities at night or that hang out in shady treed areas. There is no real escape from them and the further north one goes in Canada the worse and much bigger the swarms of mosquitoes become, enough that they can cause death by suffocation, let alone eat you alive. This isn't an exaggeration, it's Canada's reality.

As for ticks, yes we have those too. There are at least 40 species of ticks across Canada, several of which can carry lyme borreliosis, tularemia and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Here is a bit of information about a few species of the disease carrying ticks here and which regions they are located in. https://canlyme.com/lyme-basics/tick-id/

Also there are black flies, noseeums, horseflies and many other biting or stinging insects right across Canada from coast to coast to coast. They all come with the territory.

Last edited by Zoisite; Today at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or