Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
No, calling someone a Pepsi is definitely NOT similar to calling someone an Anglo, which only means that the person is an English-speaker. And «*Anglo*» used by every French speaker, not only «*Quebec separatists*».

«*Pepsi*» is an insult, a derogatory term.
Yes, the equivalent to pepsi for an anglophone (as said by francophones) would be "tête carrée" or perhaps "bloke*". These are rarely heard these days AFAIK.

*Yes, "bloke", though it's an innocuous term synonymous with "guy" in most of the Commonwealth and very rarely used in Anglo-Canada and the US these days, is a slur in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowhound View Post
So even you admit that Quebec has it pretty good. Quebec gets away with undermining Canada at every opportunity not to mention radical ethnocentric legislation aimed at gleefully driving out certain racial groups.
Blah blah blah. Where is the barf emoticon when you need it?

I try to be a thoughtful poster on here, I expect others to act the same way if they want fulsome responses from me.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:51 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,212,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Blah blah blah. Where is the barf emoticon when you need it?

I try to be a thoughtful poster on here, I expect others to act the same way if they want fulsome responses from me.
I admire your hope for the human condition. But I don't like your odds.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I admire your hope for the human condition. But I don't like your odds.
Then they'll just have to live without my enlightening responses!

Old 10-29-2019, 03:18 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,153,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure about the use of the term "shakedown", which evokes shaking something like a tree to see if any leaves (money) will fall from it to the ground.

Yes, independence is always an option that's always on the table but the Canadian government has pretty much legitimized it through its very own Clarity Act.

Quebec is still not a signatory to the 1982 Constitution and while it nonetheless remains in force (including in Quebec) there are no concrete overtures being made in order to try and get Quebec to sign on and correct this problem when it comes to "optics".

Canada continues to be governed and Quebec continues to be governed. The two governments continue to bounce off one and other in a give and take that also exists between any two entities that co-exist in a federation. (As we are also seeing with Alberta at the moment.)
Separate or not separate, frankly, I don't see any need to rush into that decision. The Bloc may have had a nice haul in the most recent election, but their primary purpose in the Canadian parliament is to represent Quebec's interests in a wider range of issues that span beyond separatism - climate change (cap and trade/carbon tax), major infrastructure projects (the new VIA intercity rail mega project between QC-MTL-Toronto), and Universal Pharmacare (which they are very supportive of along with Liberals and NDP). If the BQ solely focuses on the question of separation - they'd get nothing done because no other major party is interested in that conversation at the moment.

What's even more damning is that a clear majority of Quebec residents has no interest in opening up that question, especially the younger generations. By all intents and purposes, Quebec has already achieved many aspects of "nationhood" - control over migration, control over revenue and taxation (the only province that doesn't subscribe to federal HST), control over healthcare and education, and total control over most cultural domains in Quebec - everything a sovereign nation has minus a standing army. Even in the realm of foreign policy and foreign exchanges, Quebec operates 33 "delegation offices" in over 18 countries via the Quebec Ministry of International Relations - Home - MRIF - Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie

Old 10-30-2019, 03:03 PM

542 posts, read 498,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Separate or not separate, frankly, I don't see any need to rush into that decision. The Bloc may have had a nice haul in the most recent election, but their primary purpose in the Canadian parliament is to represent Quebec's interests in a wider range of issues that span beyond separatism - climate change (cap and trade/carbon tax), major infrastructure projects (the new VIA intercity rail mega project between QC-MTL-Toronto), and Universal Pharmacare (which they are very supportive of along with Liberals and NDP). If the BQ solely focuses on the question of separation - they'd get nothing done because no other major party is interested in that conversation at the moment.

What's even more damning is that a clear majority of Quebec residents has no interest in opening up that question, especially the younger generations. By all intents and purposes, Quebec has already achieved many aspects of "nationhood" - control over migration, control over revenue and taxation (the only province that doesn't subscribe to federal HST), control over healthcare and education, and total control over most cultural domains in Quebec - everything a sovereign nation has minus a standing army. Even in the realm of foreign policy and foreign exchanges, Quebec operates 33 "delegation offices" in over 18 countries via the Quebec Ministry of International Relations - Home - MRIF - Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie
Excellent points, Bostonkid. It appears that you and I are in agreement yet again.

The CAQ is doing an excellent job promoting Quebec's interests and the truth is that we are just getting started.

With the BQ now Canada's #3 political party, once can only imagine that much more will be achieved by utilizing Canada as our platform.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:03 PM

293 posts, read 243,436 times
First will California secede from the US before Quebec separates from Canada.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:21 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,984,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
First will California secede from the US before Quebec separates from Canada.
That can not happen in America. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts in USA, and once part and parcel, there is no separation. That issue was settled once and for all in 1865. Even Robert E. Lee said as much. Nobody even seriously contemplates that now. The American federal structure is very different than that found in Canada. There is no turning back, and absolutely no provision for leaving in the Constitution.

Also, no matter how disgusted most Americans get with the bubble headed space cadets running California, they absolutely have the right to remain part of the Nation forever. It is chipped in stone.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:31 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,984,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
… By all intents and purposes, Quebec has already achieved many aspects of "nationhood" - control over migration, control over revenue and taxation (the only province that doesn't subscribe to federal HST), control over healthcare and education, and total control over most cultural domains in Quebec - everything a sovereign nation has minus a standing army. Even in the realm of foreign policy and foreign exchanges, Quebec operates 33 "delegation offices" in over 18 countries via the Quebec Ministry of International Relations - Home - MRIF - Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie
One thing puzzles me about your arrangement there. If Quebec is in charge of making it's own decisions about immigration, and Nova Scotia theirs, there appears to be no clear national policy in place. Apparently, Ontario and British Columbia are bound by Nova Scotia's decisions whether it suits them or not, and somebody admitted by Prince Edward Island has full rein in Alberta too? To an American, that is a very strange policy indeed.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:25 AM

3,603 posts, read 3,345,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
One thing puzzles me about your arrangement there. If Quebec is in charge of making it's own decisions about immigration, and Nova Scotia theirs, there appears to be no clear national policy in place. Apparently, Ontario and British Columbia are bound by Nova Scotia's decisions whether it suits them or not, and somebody admitted by Prince Edward Island has full rein in Alberta too? To an American, that is a very strange policy indeed.
It makes perfect sense if you understand Canada's constitution. Under s. 95, provinces can opt to choose their own immigrants, and that is what Quebec has opted to do. So far, no other province has, and Ontario is no more bound by Nova Scotia in immigration matters than it is by British Columbia. In some cases, provinces can "prefer" certain kinds of immigrants--for example, Ontario might want industrial workers--but no guarantees that they will get them. Note that, in all cases, prospective immigrants must fit within the parameters laid down by Canada's federal government, proving that there is a very clear national policy.

Quebec has made a wise decision in controlling its own immigration, in my opinion, since it can select immigrants that speak French--Algerians, Haitians, Senegalese, and so on; as well as those whose native languages are close enough to French so as to make learning French easy--Hispanics, for example. But my point is, that any province of Canada can select its own immigrants under Constitution s. 95; it's just that Quebec is the only one who does so. No other provinces select their immigrants; and again, even in Quebec, all prospective immigrants must fit within the parameters laid down by Canada's federal government--it's national policy.

Note also that under Charter s. 6, immigrants chosen by Quebec might land in the province, but are not required to stay there. They can move to any place in Canada that they wish after landing. They typically don't, if they only speak French and cannot speak English, but they can move anywhere in Canada if they wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada