Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Another way to churn it, put it in a tightly lidded jar, put the jar in a belly bag around your waist or several jars in a back pack if you want to do more and go for a brisk walk or a light jog for an hour.

When I was a kid our milk was raw milk that we got from the dairy farmer next door and it always had a thick layer of cream floating on the top when they delivered it to our house. We used to have to stir the cream back down into the milk before drinking it.

So - when I was in elementary school we (the neighbour kids and I) had a two mile walk to school from home and the mason jars of milk in our lunch kits would get a good bit of churning, sloshing and bouncing during the walk. By the time we got to school after all that walking motion our jars of lunch milk would always have many big lumps of fairly solid yellowish-white cream like soft butter all sticking together floating at the top. At lunch time we would spoon the lumps out and eat them, then drink the remaining milk. It was all yummy stuff.

Elnina, thanks so much for all the information about butter, it's been interesting reading.
Before our dad sold the farm in 1950, my older brother and I shared many small chores with one of them being hand cranking the cream separator. Can still see and hear that old thing in my memory.

Just emailed my bro and did a to and fro about those little jobs and how much we squabbled over whose turn it was to crank that thing, feed and water the brooder chicks, muck out the barn stalls and replace with dry straw, feed the pigs and cows, bring in dry kindling for mom's cherished Findlay oval double boiler cook stove … and ….. horrors …… go daily down to the stone basement of the old house with a flashlight to make sure there were no dead rats floating in the cistern.

We finished our exchange by agreeing ……. we didn't realize those would today come to be thought of as good times indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 10:16 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
A much easier way to churn butter is with a mixer. I remember it taking forever to shake a jar of cream into butter. There are good butters on the market available at Sobeys and Superstore but the price is double the price of regular butter. I think one brand is called Normandy butter.

I make my own butter from time to time and nothing tastes as good as homemade butter on fresh out of the oven bread.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
A much easier way to churn butter is with a mixer. I remember it taking forever to shake a jar of cream into butter. There are good butters on the market available at Sobeys and Superstore but the price is double the price of regular butter. I think one brand is called Normandy butter.

I make my own butter from time to time and nothing tastes as good as homemade butter on fresh out of the oven bread.
Well, now I'm hungry ……… again.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Many of the finer pastry and bakery outfits in Quebec use butter imported from Europe or New Zealand.

The reason they give is that it has less water content.
That is true of any good bakery in BC and other places in Canada. That is, if a local dairy doesn't offer higher fat butter, like Stirling Creamery Ltd. in Ontario. They offer bakers a butter that is higher in fat.

"Thomas Haas, a master pâtissier based in Vancouver, has found a simple, but not particularly satisfying solution. Like many European-trained bakers here, he uses 84-per-cent butter from New Zealand that manages somehow to squeeze through Canada's butter tariff blockade. "I feel guilty buying butter that's been shipped halfway around the world just because it has more fat," said Mr. Haas, who is considered one of the best pâtissiers on the continent. "But it's important."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...article547827/

I can attest to Thomas Haas baked goods as being exceptional. I had a wonderful cake from there on my birthday. Best one I ever had.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I only had " homemade " butter once. It was actually a demonstration at Fort Langley. They cooked bread in outdoor ovens, and served it with the freshly churned butter. OMG Heaven

Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Another way to churn it, put it in a tightly lidded jar, put the jar in a belly bag around your waist or several jars in a back pack if you want to do more and go for a brisk walk or a light jog for an hour.

When I was a kid our milk was raw milk that we got from the dairy farmer next door and it always had a thick layer of cream floating on the top when they delivered it to our house. We used to have to stir the cream back down into the milk before drinking it.

So - when I was in elementary school we (the neighbour kids and I) had a two mile walk to school from home and the mason jars of milk in our lunch kits would get a good bit of churning, sloshing and bouncing during the walk. By the time we got to school after all that walking motion our jars of lunch milk would always have many big lumps of fairly solid yellowish-white cream like soft butter all sticking together floating at the top. At lunch time we would spoon the lumps out and eat them, then drink the remaining milk. It was all yummy stuff.

Elnina, thanks so much for all the information about butter, it's been interesting reading.
You guys ate pure butter just like that?

Old 11-11-2019, 02:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You guys ate pure butter just like that?

Yes, it tasted like sweet cream but had a more solid consistency like butter. It was a just a small treat to spoon up with lunch at school, it wasn't a lot and we didn't get to eat it like that at home. We didn't make butter at my house, our dairy neighbour made butter too and we got our butter from them. They also sold goat milk and the farmwife made goat milk cheeses too (chèvre).

Old 11-12-2019, 11:25 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You could make your own butter that will for sure taste superior to what you get in the store. I sometimes do that - it takes 15 min of shaking a jar in front of TV. ( I also make tasty farmers/quark cheese - just ask me how... lol)
You barely notice the work. Rinsing it is a bit more labor-intensive, but the result will be well worth it.

To make a great butter you need farm-fresh grass-feed heavy cream (from co-op store, farmers market or such. The stuff you see at your grocery store won't produce anything tasty). The better the cream the better the butter. If you have access to organic, NOT ultra-pasteurized cream, all the better. It feels expensive, but still will be way cheaper than same quality butter from a specialty store.
One quart of cream makes about one pound butter, although it depends on how heavy the cream is.

For 2 lb butter (why make a small batch - its the same work, so make more) you will need 2 quarts of cream, 1 cup of buttermilk, a food processor or twist-off jar, water and ice cubes.

So, two quarts of the best heavy cream you can find and a cup of organic buttermilk - pour it into a bowl, stir, cover with a kitchen towel and let it sit on the kitchen counter till it "feels" solid. (when you stir it if feels like a thick gravy). Probably 24-36 hrs. It should have a pleasant, barely sour aroma. I said kitchen counter - do NOT place it in the fridge!

Now you have two ways to churn (make it clump).
1. You can use a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, or a food processor with the metal blade. Remember to put on a cover to avoid splashes. Let it run till thick clumps will form (maybe 3-5 min).
When you have a bowl of whey with a big blob(s) of butter, you're almost done.
SAVE the whey!! You can drink it (its tasty buttermilk!!) or use it for baking when the recipe calls for buttermilk.

[2. If you don't have anything that would do the work for you (husband or your kids count too ), then do it manually.
Find a twist-off jar that will fit the amount of the thickened cream - it should be about 2/3 full, you need the empty space to shake. Or use a smaller jar and divide the cream in two batches, close, and go watch a movie. While at it, shake the jar. First, you will feel nothing but after some 10min or so, you will start to hear clumps. Keep shaking till you see that the whey gets separated from the clumps.
]

Use a mesh sieve, and fish out all the clumps from the whey. Put the whey aside, and form your butter into one big ball after dropping them into ice water.

Now comes the fun play with the food. You'll need to "wash" the butter!
This simply means kneading the butter in ice water. The ice water begins to solidify the butterfat, forcing out any remaining whey, which will allow the butter to become very firm without whey weeping out. Remember - you want as little as possible moisture in your butter by pressing it out from the fat clump.
So, pour some water into a bowl, add ice and start kneading it like bread dough (or Play-Doh)
First water will be milky-cloudy. Replace it with clean ice water again. Kneed more. Replace ice water again, and again till you get fairly clear water. Probably 4-5 times.

Now is the time to salt if you wish. I wouldn't, but that's just me. Knead in a few pinches. Form and wrap your butter in any shape you wish. You can keep a part of it in the fridge and freeze the rest. Wrap in saran and aluminum foil, then place in a freezer zip-lock bag.

Buy fresh baked baguet (or any bread of your choice) and enjoy your own, homemade butter with it. So delicious!!! Taste even better with home baked bread!
Report back and tell us how you liked it!

If you want, you can make flavored butter (before freezing). Add some honey, pumpkin&spices, lemon, or herbs, or fresh garlic paste.
Here are 30 flavors to choose from:
https://www.brit.co/flavored-butter/

You can spread that flavored butter on a cookie sheet, freeze it, then make pretty shapes using cookie cutters. Put the shaped butter into a jar or a bag. Best if separated with pieces of wax paper, so they don't stick together. Leave in the freezer. They look great on a steak.

Uff - a long post, and looks complicated, but isn't. Trust me. Any man can do it...
Mmm! This sounds great. If you haven't already done so, you should post this over in the "Recipes" forum. People will eat it right up (Sorry for the pun) lol

Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Mmm! This sounds great. If you haven't already done so, you should post this over in the "Recipes" forum. People will eat it right up (Sorry for the pun) lol
I think I posted the recipe few years ago, but there were no responses. I figured that nowadays people don't care for the homemade stuff. I am thrilled to see that on this forum some people actually took the time to read it

Old 11-12-2019, 12:40 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
I am going to atempt to make cannabis butter. Lets see how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada