Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:37 AM

20 posts, read 212,165 times

Advertisements

Does any have any opinions or have lived in either area to express an opinion? My husband and I are struggling on Long Island, NY. We have family in the Toronto area. We love Canada and are willing to make a go of it. We have 3 small children. 2 need some special ed. services. My husband is a Claims Adjuster for an Automobile Insurance Co. and I am a Legal Secretary. We have been told there are plenty of jobs but I am not sure if we would qualify if we are from here. We are applying for Permanent Residency under the Skilled Worker category.

I am wondering if this move would be better or worse for us. Any advise is welcome.

Thanks

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 PM

31 posts, read 217,137 times
I lived in Oakville for 10 years and think it's an exceptionally beautiful place to live - it's almost picturesque. The location is great too - borders Lake Ontario, only 20 minutes by GO train to downtown Toronto - so this may open up a lot of possibilities work-wise. The schools are great, too. However, it's very expensive in comparison to surrounding cities (but I can't compare it to New York since I know nothing about cost of living there). Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM

40 posts, read 209,238 times
question..if youhave 2 special need children will Canada open doors to invite you an your family in...just wondering about the OHIP costs...and if that would sway the immigration in letting your family in...I wish you well and good luck...

Old 05-06-2008, 05:27 PM

20 posts, read 212,165 times
Thanks for the wonderful advice on Oakville. Compared to Long Island New York it actually seems affordable. Yes, I do have special needs children. I am not sure what OHIP is. They are not severly delayed. They both actually scored average on testing but still require services and have a diagnosis. I never thought it would be an issue but I guess I should look into any possible problems. Thank you for letting me know. Again, thanks also for the good wishes!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,771 times
Burlington is right next door and is equally as beutiful. Much cheaper to live in as well.
Being born in Oakville it is really nice, just a little pricey for no reason.

[mod]Advertising not permitted[/mod]

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-07-2008 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 PM

53 posts, read 201,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.canada2005 View Post
question..if youhave 2 special need children will Canada open doors to invite you an your family in...just wondering about the OHIP costs...and if that would sway the immigration in letting your family in...I wish you well and good luck...
What OHIP costs? OHIP premiums were eliminated in the 70's. Wakey Wakey!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclemano View Post
What OHIP costs? OHIP premiums were eliminated in the 70's. Wakey Wakey!
Well, it may not be a direct OHIP premium, but there has been this little thingy since about 2004:

Ontario health premium (http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/media/2004/bk-ohp.html#OHP - broken link)

Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 9,583 times
Default Oakville vs. Long Island

Hello,

My husband and two teenaged children moved from Westbury, LI to Oakville about 3.5 years ago. However, we only lived in Long Island for about 5 years and had moved there from Nova Scotia, so my information may be a little skewed based on that history.

We love Oakville. It is a pretty, relatively safe and is a small city that feels like a town. From my experience in Long Island, where we had no choice but to send our children to private schools to avoid the gang violence in public schools, was relatively expensive. Also, our property taxes were double what they are here. For the same money, we gained a newer, more attractive home with 1000 square feet more and now send our children to public school, which we are very happy with.

I am a teacher here in Oakville and the services that are povided by the Halton Board to students with special needs are well known around the world-so much so, that there are many families who move here from other parts of the world with their children with special needs just for that reason.

The economy does seem pretty healthy right now in terms of job opportunities and real estate seems steady as well - at least for now. Who knows what the future may hold. Best of luck with everything. Hope this helped a little.

Bonnie

Old 05-22-2008, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,564 times
I am working in Oakville. But I live in London, Ontario doing weekly commute.
I would say, compared to Oakville, London is really nice place. Cheap and safe, except 7% unemployee rate.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,513 times
Oakville is far too pricey.

Milton would be good....same region but not as pricey...Georgetown has much to offer as well ...small town charm, but you can get to any 'city' fairly quickly.
I live in Georgetown and commute to Mississauga.

I have family in Illinois and I understand you can claim your mortgage [a percentage or the interest or something like that] on your taxes...no can do here. There is no tax break for owning a house or condo as well your taxed worse if you're married with 2 incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada