Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:11 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Again, there are 10 times more people in the US.. so expect there to be more crime. Have you ever lived in the US? And again, it depends where. A larger city would have more crime, a small town in Iowa.. none. And as far as it depends on how the country is run... please enlighten the Americans on CD. The poverty rates in the US and Canada are pretty close, 11 percent versus 12 percent. And if race was an major issue, Barack would not be the President.

The point I was trying to make is you can't tell someone an entire country is violent.. it would depend on where he choses to live; this is the same advise I would provide to ANY country. We would be doing the OP a disservice. He is looking to migrate to either Canada or the US and to tell him to avoid an entire country is irresponsible when there are many great places to live in the US and Canada.
Hmm, spent alot of time in the South as my fiance is from there as stated previously. I have many friends there. I've also met some racist people that hate African Americans. Its more prevalent there than any other country i've been to and i have travelled extensively since i was 2. Having the opportunity to travel is a great "eye opener" and the Southern states are in a whole other league of their own. My fiance moved away and came to live here.

Canada i've never heard of such problems, the US has a dark chapter of racism especially in those states.

But more to the point it is overall a safer country because of the way the country is run, very like here. That is a good thing.

I've heard the horror stories of Scots having to come home for their free NHS care because of the hugely expensive health insurance. It's not laughing matter and that can cause alot of problems within a society. I'm currently studying sociology as a module of my nursing degree it is very insightful.

You wouldn't believe the impacts the littlest things have that can be the downfall of a place or community. Areas, family life, no job prospects, poor people.

Yeah there are more people in the US but Canada is safer overall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 04:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hmm, spent alot of time in the South as my fiance is from there as stated previously. I have many friends there. I've also met some racist people that hate African Americans. Its more prevalent there than any other country i've been to and i have travelled extensively since i was 2. Having the opportunity to travel is a great "eye opener" and the Southern states are in a whole other league of their own. My fiance moved away and came to live here.
More in the US as it has more population and more large cities. If the situation were reverse, I bet there would be more Winnipeg stories (post #21). Again you would encounter more crime in a city like Detroit versus a city like Nashua, NH. For every story of people going home for medical treatment there are stories of Canadians and Brits coming to the US for surgery due to excessive wait times in their home countries. As for racism, I've never met a racist while living in different parts of the US, but I've never spent time in the deep south. There is no perfect system, it appears.

As for racism, I found these web sites interesting read.. most people do not know that like Australia, Canada had a similar program where native children were removed from their families to be 'integrated.' Prime Minister Harper apologized last year, a similar apology that Kevin Rudd made in the Oz. So there is a history of racism up north as well.
NotCanada.com | The Truth About Immigration To Canada
http://www.hopesite.ca/remember/hist..._canada_1.html

Last edited by minibrings; 01-29-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Please stick to the topic of the thread: Crime in Canada vs US

There are plenty of other threads available for thaose that wish to debate health care, racism, etc.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:45 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
It all depends on the specific city. I live in a city of 750,000+ (metropolitan area of over 1.6mil), which would probably be a major city by Canadian standards, and our murder rate stands shy of 3 per 100,000. . . I wouldn't think that's too much worse than Canadian cities. Not to mention, the houses around here generally don't have alarm systems, and I feel perfectly safe leaving my home doors unlocked (In fact, my room's windows are always unlocked incase I get locked out). I wouldn't feel unsafe walking alone in most parts of town.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:19 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
What is the percentage of people of african descent in Canada vrs. the US percentage of about 13%?

Is there as clear a correlation between "black" populations and crime areas in Canada as the US?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 AM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
My city is 9 percent black, compared to Winnipeg's 2 percent. But I think the background of the black community may have a different background than that of the US, maybe being mostly from more direct African or Caribbean immigrants. . . Just some speculation, don't really know. Even if this isn't the case, Canada and America are two different countries, so their respective black communities are going to be different anyway (not saying that either is the cause of increased crime, just that you wouldn't be comparing apples to apples if you were to try to compare the two).

Last edited by lndigo; 01-30-2009 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Violent crime rates are tough to compare because what counts as a violent crime differs from country to country. However, with respect to murder (the definition of which is pretty clear), the truth is that the rate in the U.S. is much higher than Canada’s: about 5.7 per 100,000 people in the States vs. 1.85 per 100,000 people in Canada.

Since this is a "per 100,000" figure, it doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that the U.S. has 10 times more people than Canada. Unless you think that the fact that there are more people in close contact in the U.S. makes people more on edge and thus more likely to kill each other. But then again, 80 to 90% of Canada is virtually unpopulated, which means that the 30 million Canadians probably live together at a similar density that most Americans do. Plus, consider that most large Canadian cities tend to be denser than American ones, and that very dense places like Manhattan actually have relatively low murder rates.

Also, the person who alluded to the murder rate in Austin, Texas is actually referring to a city that, as far as murder rates go, is pretty much an all-American honour student, alongside other low-murder cities like Honolulu, Portland and San Diego. Probably 95% of large or largish American (many of them much smaller than Austin and in the 200,000 population range) have much much higher murder rates than 3 per 100,000.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:16 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Canada has far fewer incidents of gang violence or crimes committed with handguns. That's what the statistics show. The reasons are debatable; the stats themselves are not.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Canada has far fewer incidents of gang violence or crimes committed with handguns. That's what the statistics show. The reasons are debatable; the stats themselves are not.
How those stats are compiled is also debatable... Generally, people put far more value on stats (especially "free" stats) than they should, in my humble opinion...

Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
My city is 9 percent black, compared to Winnipeg's 2 percent. But I think the background of the black community may have a different background than that of the US, maybe being mostly from more direct African or Caribbean immigrants. . . Just some speculation, don't really know. Even if this isn't the case, Canada and America are two different countries, so their respective black communities are going to be different anyway (not saying that either is the cause of increased crime, just that you wouldn't be comparing apples to apples if you were to try to compare the two).
Well, the point was this. Down here in the U.S. crime rates and African American population levels go hand in hand.

Was curious if I could use the same yardstick with Canadian cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada