Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times

Advertisements

Being biased, I'd choose the UofA. Great location in the city, fantastic campus, and a very good campus life.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM

20 posts, read 72,631 times
In many ways were are the same as americans but in many ways we are different. We probably have less crime because we have far fewer large cities than the US. As for culture we celebrate all the same major holidays just in slightly different ways. We do have a different sense of humour than americans that I have met with and we are more "turn the other cheek" kind of people I have also found. I live with an american and he feels right at home here except that he says our food choices in our grocery stores are not as good as the US and he is right about that. I often like to go to the states just to shop for new foods not available here. We are behind the times with our cell phones as well lol very very expensive here to own one compared to the states. I have often been told that we are still very british in our attitude and mannerisms. But on the whole I would say we're pretty much the same as americans.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flora1612 View Post
THank you Mikeyyc, they are:
The Clark University in MA and University of Alberta in Canada.................
I vote for University of Alberta. Edmonton is beautiful, OK , it's cold in the winter. But beautiful. Edmonton has a great transit system, too.

Laura

Old 04-27-2009, 02:59 PM

122 posts, read 412,438 times
Canada On Average is Much Colder than the The USA including Alaska, I have checked stats and averages. Canada is colder.

Even though Buffalo and Toronto are not to far away, if you Check the stats it clearly shows that Toronto has a Colder Climate than Buffalo, Buffalo is Warmer.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post

I said that the pop culture was behind, because one of the times when I went there, I specifically remember seeing trends in Canada that were in America a year or so before. Other than that it was about the same though.
are you sure "Canada" was really behind or perhaps really ahead? Cleveland is not necessarily the leading/cutting edge of pop culture and does lag behind NY, LA, Miami...

I don't find a difference in pop culture from both sides of the border and I risk dealing with US customs regularly (its always easier coming home to Canada)..

Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
are you sure "Canada" was really behind or perhaps really ahead? Cleveland is not necessarily the leading/cutting edge of pop culture and does lag behind NY, LA, Miami...

I don't find a difference in pop culture from both sides of the border and I risk dealing with US customs regularly (its always easier coming home to Canada)..
I find that the music scene is ahead in Canada vs the US though. Indy music is much more healthy in Canada and more "authentic" than in the US. What the US would call "indy music" or "college rock" is mainstream in Canada. As well, Canada has many more cultural trendsetters per capita than the US, be it in music, film, literature, etc.

The US is much more advanced in sports and retail than Canada though, even considering per capita.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 AM

176 posts, read 638,710 times
UofA alumni here, so you know my vote.

I think the things I will miss the most about the USA when I move back to Canada this summer are the TV Shows, and the internet shopping, that we can't do in Canada.

I will miss a few other things too, but those are the main ones.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
I find that the music scene is ahead in Canada vs the US though. Indy music is much more healthy in Canada and more "authentic" than in the US. What the US would call "indy music" or "college rock" is mainstream in Canada. As well, Canada has many more cultural trendsetters per capita than the US, be it in music, film, literature, etc.

The US is much more advanced in sports and retail than Canada though, even considering per capita.
You have got to be kidding me with this post. Not at all true.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
You have got to be kidding me with this post. Not at all true.
Then why are so many trendsetters in popular North American culture Canadian?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM

233 posts, read 752,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Then why are so many trendsetters in popular North American culture Canadian?
Since when? And what trendsetters are you referring to? Just because a few indie rock bands have recently garnered the spotlight esp. in Montreal, doesn't mean that Canada contributes at a higher proportion than the U.S.--the U.S. has a long history of rock music because that is where it was invented. A healthier scene in Canada? I live in Seattle and I can tell you there is a far healthier indie scene here than just over the border in Vancouver.

Last edited by jr75; 04-28-2009 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada