Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 07:26 PM

50 posts, read 52,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i note there has been nor response from OP and indeed that OP has posted same question in a US forum. No doubt trolling for reactions....
Ah yes, when someone asks for help on the Internet but happens to do it on two separate forms and then gets busy with work, they are a troll! Great thinking right there, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, he's only made a couple of posts but the answers he got for the US forum wouldn't have met his criteria either, so how can a person respond to unsatisfactory answers anyway?

I have a feeling though that the OP is a young person still in high school, not yet an adult, and his list of criteria is not going to get any satisfactory responses from anyone about any country anywhere. Given his lengthy list of mostly unrealistic expectations I think the OP would not find all that he wants in any place, nor will he be able to meet Canada's or any other country's criteria that would be expected from HIM in order for him to qualify for acceptance into another country. Maybe the OP never thought of that or maybe he already knows that but decided to ask anyway.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess, but it seems like a waste of time to include so many unrealistic criteria where so many people are going to look at that and then chuckle and go like this -->

Idk, Greenville/Spartanburg seemed like a pretty good option to me. I don't get how it's unrealistic, I made this criteria based on researching what's important to consider when picking a US state or Canadian province. Care to elaborate?

Also, I looked up Canada's immigration process. You can come in a skilled worker.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonneor View Post
Hello, I am Canadian with dual citizenship, living west of Austin, I too am looking towards Canada (home) for me. you will need to learn to deal with a change in temp from the Texas heat. Definitely less disasters! I am looking towards west coast, which has milder temps but does have rain. I am a Christian and in Canada it is very diverse and where ever you move you will find your group(depending on denomination). some of your 'wants" just cant be found all together.
I would start visiting different areas each year and if thing go south here , you will know where to move.
Be aware you as an American can not just choose to move to Canada (as many of my friends think). It is a process which can take months to years and you must have an occupation in need that cannot be filled by a Canadian in the area. check out requirements on the Canadian Immigration page.
House prices and gas prices are much higher and taxes are certainly higher then Texas as we dont pay state tax here.
hope that helps a bit.
Thanks for the advice! I am indeed willing to adapt to a colder climate. Would automotive technology jobs count as occupations that can't be filled by a Canadian and are in need? And do the house prices, gas prices, and taxes vary by province similar to the US or are they the same throughout the country?

Old 10-23-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Has a sunny climate with low amounts of rain and humidity

You know Canada is NORTH of Texas and is cold in the winter for most of the country. So if you hate cold weather and snow Canada is not your place in the sun!!

Has a tax rate equivalent to or less than the tax rate in Texas

Nope not in Canada taxes are higher much higher then what you pay in Texas.

Gas where you live $1.59 per gallon, gas in Toronto.98 per liter times 3.78 =$ 3.70 per gallon!!
Yes I'm aware Canada is north of Texas. I don't mind the cold, I never said it needs to have a warm climate. Okay so which province has the lowest taxes? I'm already aware Toronto is an overpriced city and therefore I don't plan on living there.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Have you ever visited Canada? I ask because it sounds like you've never visited any parts of Canada and don't know anything about it other than that it is geographically conveniently close to USA.

Seriously, I don't think there is any such single place exists anywhere in Canada that meets most of your social, moral, political, religious, employment and financial criteria. Except for ethnic diversity - there is lots of that in most parts of Canada.

Also, while all parts of Canada are beautiful and have an abundance of natural resources for outdoor recreation there are no parts of Canada anywhere that are not subject to natural disasters of one kind or another at one season or another.

If all of your above listed criteria are really important to you then I think Canada would be a vast disappointment to you. It might be a better idea for you to look for some other port-in-a-storm country as your back up plan if USA continues on its rapid downhill decline.

Now I have a question for you. If you could find such a place that meets all of your criteria in Canada, can you tell us this - what required special skills, assets, investments and commitments would you bring to the table that would make you qualified for admittance and would be of benefit to Canada, to your new community and to Canadian society?

Any ideas for what that other port-in-a-storm country could be?

About your question, I would come in as a skilled worker, be a good responsible citizen of the country, and support the country in every way I can. Basically become a Canadian patriot

Old 10-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't see where the OP mentioned being bothered by cold or snow. He just mentioned "sunny."
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Cardston, Alberta?
Thank you! Will look into that city

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchanga View Post
Alberta is the closest thing to your criteria.
Thank you! Any particular municipality in Alberta?

Last edited by Count David; 10-23-2020 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2020, 02:05 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thr0waway9087654322343546 View Post

Any ideas for what that other port-in-a-storm country could be?

About your question, I would come in as a skilled worker, be a good responsible citizen of the country, and support the country in every way I can. Basically become a Canadian patriot

I'll be serious here and will tell you there is a nice, richly cultured and historied country in Europe that would fulfill the vast majority if not all of your long list of criteria that you listed. It is a Christian country encouraging and actively seeking skilled, well educated Christian immigrants, preferably patriotic minded young adults (either singles or young couples) who are strongly family and community oriented and would be willing to start families immediately and be well subsidized by the government for each child produced (including very generously subsidized start-up housing costs) since the country is trying urgently to increase its population.

You would be required to learn the country's language of course but that shouldn't be difficult for you. The country is Hungary and based on your criteria that you listed I think it may be far more suited to you than any other country anywhere else, including being more suited to you than what you already have now in Katy.

Read all of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungary

Pictures: https://www.google.ca/search?q=Hunga...h=682&biw=1346

By the way, I looked up information about Katy (known in USA as the City of Churches it has more churches per capita than any other city in USA) and it sounds like you already have everything you say you want right there in Katy. So although I don't understand why you would want to leave Katy when it already has pretty much every quality you want, if you have grown up and lived there all your life so far then I do have a better understanding now why you listed the long list of criteria you posted above. You don't want to lose the little utopia that you already have and if USA goes down the tubes you want a back up place that comes as close as possible to being like Katy. Hungary could be just the ticket for you. I don't think Canada would be suitable unless you can eliminate a lot of your expectations.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-24-2020 at 02:38 AM..

Old 10-27-2020, 04:58 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Cardston, Alberta?
Yeah, no. Cardston is not far away, and I've been through it a few times. It is notable for being the birthplace of Fay Wray, of "King Kong" fame, and a local park is named for her. It also has a nice golf course that I've played. It's a nice little town.

But. It's almost 100% Mormon. There are no liquor stores nor licensed establishments in Cardston, nor within Cardston County. Yes, you can get a cup of coffee in a cafe (and on the golf course), but you cannot find anything alcoholic without going to Lethbridge, about an hour away. I was surprised once, when filling my tank with gas in Cardston, to find that the gas station sold cigarettes. I figured that they were outlawed locally too, but apparently not.

There's nothing wrong with being Mormon, or being from Cardston. But Cardston is so Mormon, that if you're not Mormon, you might wish to give Cardston a pass. Looking more broadly, if the southern-Alberta area appeals to the OP, however, I'd suggest Lethbridge.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:31 AM

2,393 posts, read 1,563,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yeah, no. Cardston is not far away, and I've been through it a few times. It is notable for being the birthplace of Fay Wray, of "King Kong" fame, and a local park is named for her. It also has a nice golf course that I've played. It's a nice little town.

But. It's almost 100% Mormon. There are no liquor stores nor licensed establishments in Cardston, nor within Cardston County. Yes, you can get a cup of coffee in a cafe (and on the golf course), but you cannot find anything alcoholic without going to Lethbridge, about an hour away. I was surprised once, when filling my tank with gas in Cardston, to find that the gas station sold cigarettes. I figured that they were outlawed locally too, but apparently not.

There's nothing wrong with being Mormon, or being from Cardston. But Cardston is so Mormon, that if you're not Mormon, you might wish to give Cardston a pass. Looking more broadly, if the southern-Alberta area appeals to the OP, however, I'd suggest Lethbridge.
fits the Christian requirement to a tee

Old 10-27-2020, 07:37 AM

88,533 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Also be aware that there's a long line.

Until COVID, I traveled back and forth pretty much monthly between the USA and Canada. On visit No. 10, in 2018, I was asked to pull over to the CBSA facility for a car search, and at that time they had a woman from Immigration come and talk to me. They basically wanted to know why I was traveling to Canada so much, asked for the name and address of the person I visit, etc, whether I was employed and/or owned a home in the USA.

After talking for a while, she said that the reason for the questioning was because 8000 Americans were applying to live in Canada every month and that it had been that way since the 2016 elections. Of course, they knew that other Americans were NOT applying to come to Canada but were instead coming in as visitors and simply not leaving, and they were doing checks on people like me to try to stem that tide.

Just be aware that that literally tens of thousands of other people have the same idea you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada