Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung_jock View Post
We are running out of gass around the world and it is excepted to x4 in the next 15 years or so . heads up better start learning how to ride a bike
Nothing could be further from the truth. More oil reserves (enormously huge ones) have been found in the last 10 years then the whole 20th century combined. Where did you get this nonsense propaganda from? This has nothing to do with whether or not we should seek alternative fuel sources, but please try and be truthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 PM

140 posts, read 562,787 times
Going back to the roots of this post:

Are Canadians as mad as fellow Americans about gas prices?

I'm not a Canadian, but, I can tell you that the American people are getting fed up. The whole international demand is probably true to SOME extent, but to NO extent do I believe that the whole problem is the population growth in developing countries.

What I do think it is, is the Middle Eastern oil leaders are holding us hostage to these gas prices. They know that the 'got to go Western World' will keep buying gas; until it gets outrageously expensive.

If the United States did not speak out about high gas prices, odds are Canada and Western Europe's gas prices would be SUBSTANTIALLY higher. The United States is the diplomat-- we are trying not only to benefit our people, but others as well.

Sure, we pay less in America for gas. I don't see any reason for why we do, though. There is a lot less demand in Canada, which barely has 1/10 of the population of the US...

I think it was time A LONG TIME AGO to invest in renewable energy sources; Americans and Canadians alike need to quit importing energy.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Quote:
I think it was time A LONG TIME AGO to invest in renewable energy sources; Americans and Canadians alike need to quit importing energy.
Actually, as noted previously in this thread, Canada is a net exporter of petroleum with the US as its biggest customer.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:42 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
I'm not a Canadian, but, I can tell you that the American people are getting fed up. The whole international demand is probably true to SOME extent, but to NO extent do I believe that the whole problem is the population growth in developing countries.

What I do think it is, is the Middle Eastern oil leaders are holding us hostage to these gas prices. They know that the 'got to go Western World' will keep buying gas; until it gets outrageously expensive.

If the United States did not speak out about high gas prices, odds are Canada and Western Europe's gas prices would be SUBSTANTIALLY higher. The United States is the diplomat-- we are trying not only to benefit our people, but others as well.

Sure, we pay less in America for gas. I don't see any reason for why we do, though. There is a lot less demand in Canada, which barely has 1/10 of the population of the US...
Its not population growth in developing countries. Its economic growth. Energy is not just for cars. China and India are becoming 1st world economies and they both have 1 billion people. There is no way that this cannot effect the demand side of energy.

The Middle East members of OPEC plus the other OPEC members (Venezuela, Indonesia, Nigeria, etc) do affect the price. OPEC is a cartel after all.

We pay less for gas than Canada and Europe because we tax it less. If none of us taxed it, we would all, more or less, pay the same price.

I would imagine that after adusting for the drastic differences in populaton, the US and Canada have roughly the same energy demands.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
Gas is over $5 a gallon where I live. People complain a bit here but not in the way that it seems in the U.S. I think all the fury in the U.S is a little out of wack. Rather than "gas holidays" politicians should try discourage reckless development to all these "bedroom communities" that are much more common down there. If people lived a little more sustainably then higher gas prices wouldn't be such an issue. Stop building "McMansions" 50 miles from work and driving an SUV to get there. I hope gas keeps going up.
great post. Thick headed American's don't "get it" yet. But they will soon. This sense of entitlement American's have along with the "I should be able to do whatever I want" mentality is gonna come to a end. You want to live way out in suburbia, no problem, stop crying about gas prices and suck it up, it comes with the territory.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I am american but I understand the way the world sees Americans. The USA is and has been using much of the worlds oil for decades. It has done little to find alternative energy sources. It hasn't done much of anything to get people out of their cars in metro areas, and build efficient transit systems. Not all but many Americans give the impression they are entitled to all the driving they want for little cost for the gas. Im sorry those days are quickly coming to an end. We are not the only ones on the planet that want and need gas for our cars, we have to share and pay an equal price for the gas. There is no reason the other industrialized countries have paid so much more for gas than we have for years now. Its time to change our ways and conserve, actually its time to grow up. Its time to be more of a good neighbor to the world, than this entitled to the planets oil personality trait Americans give to the world.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:09 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
I'm not Canadian, but I'll speak for my Canuck boyfriend on this one. He lives near Vancouver, and just filled up his car yesterday for 1.28 a liter. Outrageous? You bet. Especially considering the resources in Canada.

Personally, I am THRILLED that I am able to make the 50-60 mile round-trip to my job each day by bus. I grew up in the suburbs of NYC, and really do appreciate mass transit. Every day, I look out the window of the bus, and see the cars backed up in the non-HOV lanes (which are only 2+ people here) and wonder what they're thinking. Sure, there are circumstances where this is necessary...but all those cars? I think not.

I'm one of the many that thinks that it's high time that we change our mentality. (And, that also goes from what I've seen in the Vancouver area.) People are so married to their cars, that they cannot even think about possible alternatives. My bf lives in a suburb of Vancouver, where, to take a bus??? Not even in these people's radar.

So, to answer the question, yes, the Canadians that I know are fed up with gas prices. But, by the same token, I am frustrated with the fact that I haven't seen any of them do much more than reach deeper in their wallets (and, of course, also blame the US).

Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Those other countries that are paying more for gas has something America doesn't and thats mass transit.
Yes, Im well aware of that.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:08 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes, Im well aware of that.
then you are also aware that americans are the ones that really need gas we have no other option like other countries. Are Canadians as dependent on cars or do they have other means to get around?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
then you are also aware that americans are the ones that really need gas we have no other option like other countries. Are Canadians as dependent on cars or do they have other means to get around?
You're kidding right? Canada is LARGER than the US, and has a smaller, more spread out population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada