Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
(2) Paragraph (1)(b) does not apply to any individual who stores a non-restricted firearm temporarily if the individual reasonably requires it for the control of predators or other animals in a place where it may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
(3) Paragraphs (1)(b) and (c) do not apply to an individual who stores a non-restricted firearm in a location that is in a remote wilderness area that is not subject to any visible or otherwise reasonably ascertainable use incompatible with hunting.........................

Not that I think it is a good idea, but it seems that having a load firearm is ok in most rural and back country areas.

Interesting the in the US we have a legal definition of Wilderness. Canada does not, so I assume that provision applies to back country areas.

There are some court cases on gun storage in the home in the US. It will be interesting to see how the courts interpret the FOURTH AMENDMENT.

Is there anything similar to the Fourth Amendment in Canada??

Old 04-17-2021, 07:44 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Is there anything similar to the Fourth Amendment in Canada??
Sure, Section 8 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:01 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
We Americans use our weapons as self defense tools and to stop tyranny
What tyrannies have Americans stopped with their guns within the US within the last 150 years? Do you have a list? Just the highlights will do.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Sure, Section 8 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Thanks....reading about it it appears to be very similar to the Fourth Amendment.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:30 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
The Fourth Amendment is longer, in terms of number of words, than Charter Section 8, but they are substantially the same, in purpose and effect: if a government actor (e.g. police) want to search you or your home or your car, they need a warrant. The warrant must state what they are looking for, though the Plain View doctrine always applies.

A classmate of mine at law school did a "compare and contrast" paper, comparing the Fourth Amendment and Charter Section 8, and concluded that they were substantially the same. For my part, I've seen Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), which dealt with Fourth Amendment searches, cited with approval in early post-Charter caselaw concerning Charter s. 8.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
We Americans use our weapons as self defense tools and to stop tyranny
We Canadians understand that's something you Americans tell yourselves to justify the American gun cult. But so what? .... and why would Canadians care about that? You started this thread so what do your reasons have to do with your questions you asked about what kind of firearms and how much ammunition are allowed in Canada?

You said your own ammunition shelves are dry now. Americans are stocking up on more firearms and ammunition (again ... but what else is new?) and the shelves are running dry. If your own shelves are dry are you thinking about trying to visit Canada or to order from Canada to stock up on new firearms and ammunition that you can't get in America and is that why you asked those specific questions?

Just so you know, since the pandemic started last year Canadians have been stocking up on a LOT more firearms and ammunition too (really a LOT), both new first time firearms owners but most especially long time owners.

But Canadians aren't stocking up on guns and ammo and emptying the shelves for the same reasons that Americans are stocking up on them: https://theconversation.com/why-cana...andemic-135409

Old 04-18-2021, 12:30 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What tyrannies have Americans stopped with their guns within the US within the last 150 years? Do you have a list? Just the highlights will do.
There hasn’t been any because of the guns mate. Govt is trying now though

Old 04-18-2021, 12:32 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
We Canadians understand that's something you Americans tell yourselves to justify the American gun cult. But so what? .... and why would Canadians care about that? You started this thread so what do your reasons have to do with your questions you asked about what kind of firearms and how much ammunition are allowed in Canada?

You said your own ammunition shelves are dry now. Americans are stocking up on more firearms and ammunition (again ... but what else is new?) and the shelves are running dry. If your own shelves are dry are you thinking about trying to visit Canada or to order from Canada to stock up on new firearms and ammunition that you can't get in America and is that why you asked those specific questions?

Just so you know, since the pandemic started last year Canadians have been stocking up on a LOT more firearms and ammunition too (really a LOT), both new first time firearms owners but most especially long time owners.

But Canadians aren't stocking up on guns and ammo and emptying the shelves for the same reasons that Americans are stocking up on them: https://theconversation.com/why-cana...andemic-135409

Store shelves are cleaned out because everyone is buying

I’ve got just under 20,000 rounds bro

Old 04-18-2021, 02:27 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Store shelves are cleaned out because everyone is buying

I’ve got just under 20,000 rounds bro
And I've got about 40,000 rounds.

What is this, some kind of contest to measure our reproductive organs?

Old 04-18-2021, 04:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And I've got about 40,000 rounds.

What is this, some kind of contest to measure our reproductive organs?
I have never stockpiled ammo. I was concerned last deer season when I could not get 30 30 rounds since I only had 15 rounds. I fired a few to make sure I was still sighted in. I fired one to bag my 6 point buck. I never got a chance at another buck so I cleaned the rifle and put it up.

The shortages in ammo however have taught me a lesson.....I should never run that low again.

Just to answer to some of the things being said about why we Americans own guns....I do believe most of us still own them for hunting and shooting sports. Shooting and hunting are good healthy activities, gets people outdoors and active. Yes a lot of us keep a pistol in our homes for self defense. The US is MUCH more crime and violence prone then Canada is. (I know y’all know that). It is very much legal and legitimate in most US states to use a firearm in self defense if someone enters your home and threatens your life. (Yes this does happen a lot down here) Most Americans see our second amendment as a deterrent to federal government tyranny as well, in short we believe the reason we do not have tyranny is because our citizens are well armed. Of course I do not claim to speak for all Americans but the things I have said are somewhat common beliefs among those Americans who do support our second amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada