U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 PM

253 posts, read 1,479,292 times

Advertisements

I work at a newspaper and we were debating if "canuck" is offensive. It fits better in small spaces than Canadian. Thoughts?

P.S. We do realize there's an NHL team called the Canucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM

170 posts, read 825,302 times
To me it is and it has a long association of being a slur, "Johnny Canuck" aside.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:58 AM

215 posts, read 1,543,963 times
I've never thought of it as offensive in the slighest. Every country has some nickname for thier people, this is ours.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM

7,827 posts, read 10,349,004 times
Not offensive to me. Better a Canuck than a Yank.

Of course they are on the same level. For a newspaper, it's pretty heavy slang.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 PM

253 posts, read 1,479,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
For a newspaper, it's pretty heavy slang.
It was for light-hearted story, we rolled with Canadian, though. Thanks for the insight.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:24 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,944,907 times
Personally I'm a former Canuck and now a Yank. Also Hungarian so I would be a Hunky? and part Jewish so am I a Jew?. Some people are Dagos or Waap or kite or *****. Could go on with no OFFENSE to anyone. Heck, we all breath the same air, have families, go to work or school every day, buy our groceries at the same supermarket, patronize same fast foods etc. Whats this all got to do with a (slang) reference to a persons enthicity, absolutely NOTHING. Only people who are offended are those with a very THIN skin and need to lighten up a little. Life is to short to dwell over a little word that is only used to identify some specific country or culture. As for me I'll take some fish & chips with a little malt vineger and a soft drink please. Steve

Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM

681 posts, read 2,522,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Not offensive to me. Better a Canuck than a Yank.
That brings up an interesting point. Many "southerners" - from the deep south, that is - object to being called "Yanks", who more correctly were originally considered to be [the evil] northern carpetbaggers or New Englanders. Since I'm a west coast lad that distinction means nothing to me, but I mention it simply because a few of my northern "cousins" have objected to my use of the term "Canuck" in previous posts. So I dropped the word, as wisely did the OP.

Also, I've discovered most Canadians would be too polite to mention this unless asked.

Cheers.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM

215 posts, read 1,543,963 times
I for one cant really even see why it would be offensive. The best I can figure is that some see it like the word "Jew". to me, "Jew" is somewhat offensive and I try to avoid it. This is because most of the time when I hear "Jew" it is in a negative way. I've never heard Canuck used in any kind of negative way.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 AM

20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
[SIZE=3]It used to be (and in fact may have originated as) a derogatory term for French-Canadian migrants in New England. (Since most “Canadians” New Englanders would have met in the late 19th/early 20th centuries would have been French-speaking.) The people who generally call themselves “Québécois” today would have referred to themselves as “Canadiens” in those days, so much so that the neighbourhoods they settled in are usually known as “Little Canadas” in New England cities even today.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Of course, usage of the name has evolved since then (hence the Vancouver Canucks NHL team), so outside of a few places in New England, no one would really view this as an insulting term. The Sun group of tabloid newspapers actually uses the word “Canuck” all the time in its eye-catching from page headlines. [/SIZE]

Old 05-15-2008, 07:30 AM

7,827 posts, read 10,349,004 times
I agree, it's hard to say Canuck in an angry tone.

You, you dirty Canuck! It just makes me laugh instead. Yank/Yankee has lots of connotations that are negative, especially in the south, but there really isn't a derogatory "canadianism"

If you really want to insult a Canadian, just call them American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or