Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 02:33 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

I thought maybe it deserved it's own thread so as not to get lost in the Canada Day thread.

When the list of names of children first was made public, I scanned it and the name Dummy Bad Boy jumped out at me. Today I read the story behind this boy, as far as it is known. https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...d-the-nickname
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 02:58 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Should there be a Truth and Reconciliation Commission like South Africa had? Where the perpetrators were offered immunity if they testified to their misdeeds?

Old 09-30-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Should there be a Truth and Reconciliation Commission like South Africa had? Where the perpetrators were offered immunity if they testified to their misdeeds?
We had a Truth and Reconciliation Commission that allowed survivors to tell their stories. This is just one link of many you could read to discover how Canada handled it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2591925

Old 09-30-2021, 03:08 PM

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/long...yond-94?&cta=1

Old 09-30-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
The trouble with the perpetrators is that no, I don't believe perpetrators of sexual abuse who are still living should be granted immunity. The other problem with that idea is that this happened often under the umbrella of churches. Many of those abusers who have been found out are already paying for their crimes, as they should be. They knew what they were doing was wrong in the eyes of their employers, the churches and of society generally.

The trouble with taking children from their parents is the fault of the government, and the government of the day, I doubt thought they were doing something wrong. Nonetheless, the government has apologized and is paying money to the survivors.

And lastly, I don't think people take into consideration that social norms have changed a lot over the years. When it comes to physical abuse, people believed that sparing the rod spoiled the child. This was not exclusive to the indigenous population and there's just so far I'm going to go personally in judging the people of another generation by this generation's values.

When I was in school children received spankings and I can think of a few things I myself witnessed that spilled into the category of abuse. There were dunce caps for children teachers considered especially stupid. There was humiliation and standing in corners.

I've never yet spoken to an "ethnic" person of my generation who wasn't warned that speaking in your own language, even at recess, would warrant a spanking. Non anglos were definitely looked down on, especially if they came from eastern Europe.

I've had conversations with people where I've wondered just how it was that people then, didn't realise how wrong this all was. My mother says they just never questioned the why of things. My brother-in-law thinks it was because people were too busy surviving to bother with those questions.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:48 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,567,184 times
I think it was a good day I saw a lot of kids in schools wearing orange, I think it important that they be involved in these discussions from an early age, I was saddened to see out PM go surfing in Tofino.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:22 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I think it was a good day I saw a lot of kids in schools wearing orange, I think it important that they be involved in these discussions from an early age, I was saddened to see out PM go surfing in Tofino.
I was on the island this week. He didn't go surfing, (especially not in yesterday's foul weather) but journalists with an agenda have been reporting and posting pictures of his last surfing trip that was from two and a half years ago in April 2019 and they're claiming it was yesterday. He did go to Tofino but he actually took his wife and kids on a booked whale watching tour around the Tofino coastal area. (speaking of whales, my friends and I even saw a number grey whales on both ferry trips to and from the island this week, they're super active at this time of year!). I don't have a problem with him doing that with his family since he made the requisite appearances at other official activities and ceremonies that were held on Wednesday, and T & R Day is a recognized family holiday now.

Funny thing that you saw kids in school on T&R Day where you are living in Canada. T&R Day was a holiday here in BC and the schools and several Crown Corporations and other types of federally-regulated workplaces/establishments and banks and stuff were closed here for yesterday.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-01-2021 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Funny thing that you saw kids in school on T&R Day where you are living in Canada. T&R Day was a holiday here in BC and the schools and several Crown Corporations and other types of federally-regulated workplaces/establishments and banks and stuff were closed here for yesterday.

i live in Orleans a suburb of Ottawa, all schools were open. In fact everything seemed to been open, the federal govt and Canada post were closed but city services were normal

Old 10-01-2021, 11:11 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i live in Orleans a suburb of Ottawa, all schools were open. In fact everything seemed to been open, the federal govt and Canada post were closed but city services were normal
Is French still spoken much there?

Old 10-02-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Is French still spoken much there?
Yes. I’m guessing 35-40% of the local population would have French as their first language. A lot of anglophones speak French to a basic level. My three kids raised in an anglophone home all were in French immersion at school and can converse well in French
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada