Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 05:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, here's a funny story. My Kindle has recently decided to be thoroughly Canadian and present the home shopping page partly in French, this despite my language settings being UK English.

A restart at first fixed the issue but now having decided to be completely bilingual, my Kindle has both French and English headings: "Les meilleures ventes" "For You in History," etc.

The books on the choices are still English books and it wouldn't be an issue other than the French version usually doesn't have Kindle Daily Deals in the menu, only monthly.

???!!
It's all part of the plot !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2021, 06:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Resistance is futile.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:38 PM

183 posts, read 218,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I take the so called pepsi-mentality as a compliment. Is the pepsi mentality having lower violent crime rates than the anglos, stronger moral values, and a viable culture? Are those really bad things?
Ouch.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:51 PM

183 posts, read 218,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirehose View Post
Apparently Quebec is going to use a law called Bill 96 to to modify the Canadian constitution for it's own ends:

Under this bill the Canadian constitution is going to recognize as it's very own "nation-state" within the confines of Canada and passes a series of increasingly draconian language laws.

How can Quebec do this if they refused to sign the constitution in the first place?

I am for reconciliation between Quebec and the rest of the provinces, but isn't this kind of forcing their will on 9 other provinces? Isn't this going to affect life for all Canadians, whether we want it or not?

It seems to me that this is only going to divide the country further.

So far, the vast majority of francophones (> 80%) in Quebec support the bill, while less than 5% of English speakers in Quebec support it..

Now a precedent will be set that Quebec is a "nation-state" that can come and go from Canada at any time.

We have to give credit where it is due. Quebec's premier Francois Legault has boldly capitalized on the Coronavirus and the other recent domestic disturbances for the benefit of Quebec nationalism.

Now his approval ratings have exploded to 70-80% in Quebec, and he has led to a resurgence in national feeling among Quebecers.

Legault toasts to Bill 96

What I am wondering is how this will affect the future of the country. Does this mean any province can now be it's own country within a country?
I believe we will have to introduce these type of laws for every several years, because our vision of Quebec is not compatible with the ROC long-term.

For example, We eliminated the Catholic church like nothing. The bastion of our society for centuries. Back then we had large families that endured our society to become a nation within Canada. Now we have a massive hook-up culture, negative levels of birthrates and we're relying on bringing mutli-lingual people from all over the world and hoping we can force them to speak French in our declining francophone culture. Let's not kid ourselves. With the possible exception of Africa, alot or most of the immigrants prefer to be bilingual or speak English. I do't blame them because it is only in their best interest, rationally speaking. both are going to be "foreign" languages or languages of the "conquerors" or people imposing their will.
Just like with these laws we use force. Not a good long-term solution.

Ask yourself, did the English Canadians have to force immigrants to speak English? The laws have a limit to their affectiveness. We like to pretend that the decline of French and the resulting decline of our nation can be stopped with nice-guy laws.

In the end we either stand up to declare independence or else accept we share the same future as Louisiana. None of this has to do with hating "Anglos" but it is to remain realistic about the situation.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:04 PM

47 posts, read 32,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
I believe we will have to introduce these type of laws for every several years, because our vision of Quebec is not compatible with the ROC long-term.

For example, We eliminated the Catholic church like nothing. The bastion of our society for centuries. Back then we had large families that endured our society to become a nation within Canada. Now we have a massive hook-up culture, negative levels of birthrates and we're relying on bringing mutli-lingual people from all over the world and hoping we can force them to speak French in our declining francophone culture. Let's not kid ourselves. With the possible exception of Africa, alot or most of the immigrants prefer to be bilingual or speak English. I do't blame them because it is only in their best interest, rationally speaking. both are going to be "foreign" languages or languages of the "conquerors" or people imposing their will.
Just like with these laws we use force. Not a good long-term solution.

Ask yourself, did the English Canadians have to force immigrants to speak English? The laws have a limit to their affectiveness. We like to pretend that the decline of French and the resulting decline of our nation can be stopped with nice-guy laws.

In the end we either stand up to declare independence or else accept we share the same future as Louisiana. None of this has to do with hating "Anglos" but it is to remain realistic about the situation.
I am fully in favour of Quebec being able to keep French, but not when it comes to making massive alterations to Canada without the consent of the other provinces.

If, as you say, there needs to be new laws passed every few years..then what's the point? Should we just become the Republic of Western Canada and Quebec carves out it's piece of the pie?

Like I said I am generally favourable towards Quebec but news from Quebec itself like the Montreal Gazette are full of reports about discrimination, draconion laws, social engineering and et cetera.

When Quebec gets heat from the United Nations and is still pushing for more, how does this make all of Canada look?

Old 11-14-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It won't effect the future of the country. None of the provinces, including Quebec, are going to become their own countries within Canada.
According to Canadian experts in international publications like the Washington Post, Quebec is basically doing exactly that. Based on the rhetoric of Quebec politicians there is only more to come. Quebecers have become more and more separated from Canada. They also tell us what they are going to do before they do it. It's not like it's a surprise. We can't have 80% of a province who want full independence or to be an autonomous territory of Canada and pretend that's no biggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No, it isn't, it's a flash in the pan.
Okay, the subject makes you uncomfortable, it does for me too. So let's pretend it doesn't exist and cover it up? That's what got Canada into this mess in the first place. If as an Albertan I am funding something, I want to know what exactly it is.

Old 11-15-2021, 05:31 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
I am fully in favour of Quebec being able to keep French, but not when it comes to making massive alterations to Canada without the consent of the other provinces.

If, as you say, there needs to be new laws passed every few years..then what's the point? Should we just become the Republic of Western Canada and Quebec carves out it's piece of the pie?

Like I said I am generally favourable towards Quebec but news from Quebec itself like the Montreal Gazette are full of reports about discrimination, draconion laws, social engineering and et cetera.

When Quebec gets heat from the United Nations and is still pushing for more, how does this make all of Canada look?
The Montreal Gazette is not always a credible source of info on Quebec affairs. It has an activist slant for the anglo community. Which is legitimate if they want to do that of course but they are not 100% straight on everything.

Also, when has the UN given Quebec heat lately? I mean I guess they might at some point but ISTM they are mostly giving the feds heat for the treatment of Indigenous people these days.

And of course the UN has great cred with guys like China and Iran on their human rights committee...

Old 11-15-2021, 05:33 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
According to Canadian experts in international publications like the Washington Post, Quebec is basically doing exactly that. Based on the rhetoric of Quebec politicians there is only more to come. Quebecers have become more and more separated from Canada. They also tell us what they are going to do before they do it. It's not like it's a surprise. We can't have 80% of a province who want full independence or to be an autonomous territory of Canada and pretend that's no biggie.

Okay, the subject makes you uncomfortable, it does for me too. So let's pretend it doesn't exist and cover it up? That's what got Canada into this mess in the first place. If as an Albertan I am funding something, I want to know what exactly it is.
"Alberta" isn't funding anything.

And BTW support for independence has never polled near 80% in Quebec.

Old 11-15-2021, 06:42 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
We can't have 80% of a province who want full independence or to be an autonomous territory of Canada and pretend that's no biggie.
"One, country, two systems". It can be done.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Montreal Gazette is not always a credible source of info on Quebec affairs. It has an activist slant for the anglo community. Which is legitimate if they want to do that of course but they are not 100% straight on everything.
What is an accurate source for Quebec?

Quote:

Also, when has the UN given Quebec heat lately?
The other bill about religious headwear and clothing (21, I think.).

Quote:

I mean I guess they might at some point but ISTM they are mostly giving the feds heat for the treatment of Indigenous people these days.
They should in my opinion.

Quote:
And of course the UN has great cred with guys like China and Iran on their human rights committee...
That sounds like a Republican American lol.

Quote:
"Alberta" isn't funding anything.

And BTW support for independence has never polled near 80% in Quebec.
I believe that you can understand how from an Albertan perspective when all is said and done we are essentially paying money to Quebec and other provinces. Even if it isn't called The Quebec Payment Plan or something. So aren't we funding Quebec's government?

With independence at 80% support, I mean 80% combined between the pro-independence crowd and the autonomy within Canada crowd like Legault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada