U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:18 PM

13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Having so recently, Thursday, watched my SIL in agonizing pain on her second last day alive it was so unbearable to witness. Forcing anyone to go through that for weeks or months in time is the cruelest abuse I could imagine. Fortunately for her and the family the drugs kicked in for Friday and she spent the day sleeping until she stopped breathing on her own. One day was hard and I cannot understand why if faced with that amount of pain for long not to allow her to choose ending her pain/life.

I see Susan Rodriguez as a Canadian hero.
Sorry for your loss!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 09:48 AM

9,204 posts, read 3,675,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Sorry for your loss!

Thank you. She was diagnosed in December and went downhill very fast. Not even 65

Old 07-29-2022, 10:02 AM

22,746 posts, read 13,820,097 times
There is already some awareness that palliative care sedation ordered for terminal patients is quite often equating very closely to euthanasia but nothing is said or done because who would complain if they were watching someone they love suffer.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...gal-everywhere

Old 07-29-2022, 10:44 AM

6,728 posts, read 8,053,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There is already some awareness that palliative care sedation ordered for terminal patients is quite often equating very closely to euthanasia but nothing is said or done because who would complain if they were watching someone they love suffer.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...gal-everywhere
I don't think they are the same. I had that conversation with my husband's doctor about a month and a half ago. We agreed on enough sedation so he could die without pain, when he got to that point. But he rallied, was even able to come home for a little over a week before ending up back in hospital.

It might be a fine line, but it is a bright line, imo

Old 07-29-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Having so recently, Thursday, watched my SIL in agonizing pain on her second last day alive it was so unbearable to witness. Forcing anyone to go through that for weeks or months in time is the cruelest abuse I could imagine. Fortunately for her and the family the drugs kicked in for Friday and she spent the day sleeping until she stopped breathing on her own. One day was hard and I cannot understand why if faced with that amount of pain for long not to allow her to choose ending her pain/life.

I see Susan Rodriguez as a Canadian hero.
I am also sorry for your loss. My deepest sympathies.

Old 07-29-2022, 03:14 PM

22,746 posts, read 13,820,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't think they are the same. I had that conversation with my husband's doctor about a month and a half ago. We agreed on enough sedation so he could die without pain, when he got to that point. But he rallied, was even able to come home for a little over a week before ending up back in hospital.

It might be a fine line, but it is a bright line, imo
Thanks for the clarification netwit.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Thanks for the clarification netwit.
Here's an article on it. https://healthydebate.ca/2015/10/top...ation-therapy/

I'm hoping it doesn't come to this though.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:16 PM

119 posts, read 22,351 times
I'm aware, and I have concerns as someone with disabilities and a will to continue living - no shade towards anyone in more complicated and distressing circumstances, I just want to point out, that some people with chronic medical conditions are not necessarily contemplating MAID, and we are here too.

Having said that, most people probably know of someone-who-knows-someone-who has made use of MAID by now. I do.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:16 PM

6,287 posts, read 4,147,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownDays View Post
I'm aware, and I have concerns as someone with disabilities and a will to continue living - no shade towards anyone in more complicated and distressing circumstances, I just want to point out, that some people with chronic medical conditions are not necessarily contemplating MAID, and we are here too.

Having said that, most people probably know of someone-who-knows-someone-who has made use of MAID by now. I do.
Several years ago, when my mother was still in good health, she asked me to accompany her when she visited a lawyer. She wanted to give me Power of Attorney should her health fail. At the lawyer’s suggestion, a Health Directive was also drawn up, spelling out her wishes regarding how aggressive she wanted treatment to be should she become terminally ill.

Both documents gathered dust for some years until needed. Then there came a time when I was taking my mother to Emergency every 2 or 3 weeks. Each time a doctor would ask if my mother had a Health Directive and I would hand a copy over, relieved that I didn’t have to guess what my mother wanted. The Directive actually never needed to be acted on.

So, if you are concerned, have a Health Directive drawn up, that clearly articulates your wishes, and make sure your family knows where the document is. Make copies too. You can always update the Directive if your wishes change.

I just googled and found this site where you can create a Health Directive yourself without a lawyer: https://www.lawdepot.ca/ca/estate/li...nal-directive/
You may want something more customized though.

Old 07-30-2022, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownDays View Post

My husband has a Health Care Directive which grants me the right, without restrictions, to make any decisions regarding his health. He also wants very much to live.

I was very pissed off the last time at one of the EMTs who was strongly pushing me to have him sign a DNR statement. I had already told them that if something happened that was not survivable to let him go. He is old. He has many issues that are simply not fixable. He understands that. But if it is something treatable, treat it.

And he told me that the Health Care Directive had no meaning in the ambulance and that regardless of what I told them in the house, they would have to try to keep him alive even in a situation like an unsurvivable heart attack, which would cause him a lot of pain.

I've also has emergency room doctors try to scare us into a DNR and I told them he trusts me more than he trusts you. My husband still gets enjoyment out of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada