Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 11:57 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why? How much restrictions can people take when there is little progress against the alleged problem/.
If the Freedom Convoy protesters were protesting against the federal government's restrictions, then what restrictions were those?

Oh sure, I'll grant that land border crossings were closed, except to commercial traffic; and there was a dizzying array of costly requirements in order to travel internationally by air or water. Likely federal employees needed to be vaccinated and wear masks at work. But that was about it; that was about all the federal government could do, with regards to restrictions.

What it could not do, was dictate whether Montreal nightclubs could open, whether Calgary restaurants could open, whether Vancouver movie theatres could open, or whether provinces could close their borders (although in my professional opinion, they could not, under Charter s. 6, but they did anyway). The place to protest these restrictions is in the respective provincial capitals, not in Ottawa. Because the federal government could do nothing about those provincially-mandated restrictions. Yet such things seemed to be what most protesters had problems with.

What I found most concerning was that the organizers actually felt they could overthrow the government of Canada with their silly plan to have the Governor-General dissolve the House of Commons, keep the Senate, and install the convoy organizers as the government of Canada. That was what most protesters seemed not to understand: they think they're there so they can go to a Winnipeg bar, or a movie in Kamloops, but they're unwittingly working towards a coup d'etat. That was fine by the organizers, but I'd suggest that it gives "useful idiot" a whole new meaning.

As we see in the guy who is in netwit's linked news item. A useful idiot who donated $13,000 to the cause, based on some vague unsecured promise that it was a loan, and he'd be paid back from the GoFundMe. Which he wasn't going to be, once the funds were frozen, then given back to the givers. Here's a hint folks: if you loan anybody an amount you can't stand to lose if the borrower defaults, get it in writing. That way, it's enforceable at court.

I have no sympathy for this guy. Reading that CBC story, all I could think of was, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 04:44 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted.

Maybe he will learn not to support illegal causes, but probably not.

Old 03-25-2022, 06:44 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Reading that guy's whine just made me cringe, as he's of an age when it would have been expected to have learned actions have consequences, personal decisions require personal responsibility among a host of other popular sayings describing the normal process of maturing from puberty.

How did this guy manage to live his life with an obvious deficit of logic? Oh, that's right, HE DIDN'T!

Here we have a fellow having arrived at an age in life whereupon most have managed to secure some form of progress of the firm foundational type going forward and this guy is living in his car supposedly through no fault of his own? How does that compute?

I am well aware of how anyone can, through an unforeseen alignment of the stars, fall on harder times but, now we read this fellow is living from one self created crisis to another and still willing to throw the dice in what can only be a "baby needs a new pair of shoes" devil-may-care attitude towards his circumstance and then WHINE about what any 14 year old having a paper route could have easily predicted would be the outcome.

My concern is; how many more idiots like this fellow are there out there having escaped all manner of acquiring common sense through the normal maturing process and are they in numbers that will skew our electoral process to the extent they manage to elect similarly mindless fools to run our country?

Lastly; am I concerned about something that has already arrived at the 'fait-accompli' stage?

Old 03-25-2022, 11:53 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

My concern is; how many more idiots like this fellow are there out there having escaped all manner of acquiring common sense through the normal maturing process and are they in numbers that will skew our electoral process to the extent they manage to elect similarly mindless fools to run our country?

Lastly; am I concerned about something that has already arrived at the 'fait-accompli' stage?
Uuummmmm, yeah, 'fait-accompli'. There's a lot of people like that out there who seem to have had their brains stirred up with a swizzle stick. Re: electoral processes being skewed, it's already happened to our neighbours. Look at the orange guy then look around at the type of people who worship and voted for the orange guy. Twice. And look at what kind of people rioted on Jan. 06, broke and entered Congress and chanted out loud to hang the vice president ........ said riot happening at the instigation of the orange guy.

Canada isn't immune from the same kind of things and same kinds of people happening on our side of the border. Look at what kind of people the organizers of the convoy are/were and how easy it was for them to sucker literally thousands of Canadians and Americans (like-minded to the guy in the article) to the tune of millions of dollars while the organizers used an army of dumbed-down protesters to do their dirty work as they attempted to overthrow government. All of those protesters LET that happen to them without questions.

Look at what happened with the trucker convoys that occurred in both countries, the American supporters immediately wanted to jump on their own bandwagon after the convoy in Canada started but they waited so they could see what would happen in Canada and how far they could go themselves. Then when they were shocked to see what measures Canada's federal government would take (Emergency Act) the American truckers decided they didn't want to deal with something like that happening to them, knowing they'd likely get shot. So instead they decided to form convoys that would wander aimlessly around their country like tribes of nomadic nimrods protesting "something" and trying to drum up more support from other nimrods just like them. What happened to them I wonder, did they make it to DC or are they still aimlessly wandering around on the deserts of America's highways?

I'm beginning to wonder if the Corona virus infected certain people's brains in ways that haven't been taken into account yet. Can we call it covid zombie brain? There are really a lot of brain fogged zombies out there doing strange things and acting like babies who are totally unable to cope with a few short years worth of stress and personal responsibility.

Old 03-25-2022, 01:35 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Look at what happened with the trucker convoys that occurred in both countries, the American supporters immediately wanted to jump on their own bandwagon after the convoy in Canada started but they waited so they could see what would happen in Canada and how far they could go themselves. Then when they were shocked to see what measures Canada's federal government would take (Emergency Act) the American truckers decided they didn't want to deal with something like that happening to them, knowing they'd likely get shot. So instead they decided to form convoys that would wander aimlessly around their country like tribes of nomadic nimrods protesting "something" and trying to drum up more support from other nimrods just like them. What happened to them I wonder, did they make it to DC or are they still aimlessly wandering around on the deserts of America's highways?
Oh, some of them got to DC. Where they simply circled the city on the Beltway. They didn't approach the Capitol Building or attempt to go anywhere near it. In the end, their protest had as much punch as a wet firecracker.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:56 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
If the Freedom Convoy protesters were protesting against the federal government's restrictions, then what restrictions were those?

Oh sure, I'll grant that land border crossings were closed, except to commercial traffic; and there was a dizzying array of costly requirements in order to travel internationally by air or water. Likely federal employees needed to be vaccinated and wear masks at work. But that was about it; that was about all the federal government could do, with regards to restrictions.
You have already described the makings of a police state.

Quote:
What it could not do, was dictate whether Montreal nightclubs could open, whether Calgary restaurants could open, whether Vancouver movie theatres could open, or whether provinces could close their borders (although in my professional opinion, they could not, under Charter s. 6, but they did anyway). The place to protest these restrictions is in the respective provincial capitals, not in Ottawa. Because the federal government could do nothing about those provincially-mandated restrictions. Yet such things seemed to be what most protesters had problems with.
I know that's provincial but why did many provinces if not all create substantial restrictions?

Quote:
What I found most concerning was that the organizers actually felt they could overthrow the government of Canada with their silly plan to have the Governor-General dissolve the House of Commons, keep the Senate, and install the convoy organizers as the government of Canada. That was what most protesters seemed not to understand: they think they're there so they can go to a Winnipeg bar, or a movie in Kamloops, but they're unwittingly working towards a coup d'etat. That was fine by the organizers, but I'd suggest that it gives "useful idiot" a whole new meaning.
True, that is not good but I don't think most of the convoy members had that in mind. I suspect it was more of a "gestalt" thing; that Canada is evolving into a place no one would recognize.

Quote:
As we see in the guy who is in netwit's linked news item. A useful idiot who donated $13,000 to the cause, based on some vague unsecured promise that it was a loan, and he'd be paid back from the GoFundMe. Which he wasn't going to be, once the funds were frozen, then given back to the givers. Here's a hint folks: if you loan anybody an amount you can't stand to lose if the borrower defaults, get it in writing. That way, it's enforceable at court.

I have no sympathy for this guy. Reading that CBC story, all I could think of was, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
I agree. What a moron! As a bankruptcy lawyer I see that a lot.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-26-2022 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Requested by poster

Old 03-26-2022, 07:17 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
They should count themselves lucky they weren't faced with those little hardships like their husband going off to four years of war, having to go to work in a munitions factory, all the while trying to bring up a toddler along with suffering rationing.
Is that you ma? What’s it like in heaven?
Thanks for carrying me down to the air raid shelter in the blitz.
I thought that dad only did two and half years before he was wounded and shipped back to military hospital in U.K. even though he was patched up and rejoined his unit in Holland just in time for VE Day.

Last edited by Jean-Francois; 03-26-2022 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Edited text

Old 03-26-2022, 10:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Is that you ma? What’s it like in heaven?
Thanks for carrying me down to the air raid shelter in the blitz.
I thought that dad only did two and half years before he was wounded and shipped back to military hospital in U.K. even though he was patched up and rejoined his unit in Holland just in time for VE Day.
My mother was caring for my older brother born in late 40 from the day my Dad went over there in early 41.

She didn't work in a munitions factory but, in a very large shoe factory (Sisman's Shoe of Aurora, Ontario) making boots for the military.

Mom got telegrams on two separate occasions informing her he had been wounded in action with the extent of his injuries being unknown at the time of notification with "further details as to the extent of his injuries will be provided as soon as they become available" - in each case, exactly 21 days later, she was then informed by telegrams he had returned to action.

As a Troop Sgt. tank commander he had a knuckle of his left hand destroyed by shrapnel while standing in the turret of his Sherman and the other occasion he had received shrapnel wounds to his right shoulder, neck and head after the Piat bombs in a rack on the side of his tank were hit by a sniper.

My father took part in the liberation of Holland as well with his Regimental Diary containing an entry he was tasked with taking three Shermans up on a **** to destroy a brick factory hiding German artillery on the other side of the Rhine at Wageningen that had been responsible for lobbing shells into the Canadian lines. Dutch teens were lined up laying on the top of that **** watching with glee as his tanks reduced that factory to a smoking pile of rubble.

**EDIT**: stupid site restrictions will not allow calling a tall, man-made berm holding back the sea in the Netherlands a d**e.

An American perspective:

https://www.historians.org/about-aha...n-world-war-ii

I sometimes wonder if protesters of any stripe had similar backgrounds; would they still whine over anything they choose to call a loss of freedom if indeed it was something so trivial as a mandated vaccine.

Last edited by BruSan; 03-26-2022 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 11:06 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
I sometimes wonder if protesters of any stripe had similar backgrounds; would they still whine over anything they choose to call a loss of freedom if indeed it was something so trivial as a mandated vaccine.
I am pro-vaccine. But as far as other restrictions, what was your Dad fighting for it not freedom? Did he toil so that some leader could virtue-signal?

Old 03-26-2022, 11:10 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am pro-vaccine. But as far as other restrictions, what was your Dad fighting for it not freedom? Did he toil so that some leader could virtue-signal?
What a leap!

ETA: obviously he fought so drunks could drive, men could shoot whenever and wherever they wanted, so that there would be no stop signs, no border crossings or controls of any kind, and people could do whatever they pleased! Duh! That's why all soldiers fight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada