U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 09:20 AM

336 posts, read 302,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They have never asked me for the receipt, either. When you hand them your passport and they scan it in, they can see that you did or did not complete ArriveCAN. If it shows you did, they have no reason to ask for your receipt. The recept is your proof that you did it in case you're not in the computer as planning to arrive.

The reason for ArriveCAN is that they know in advance you are coming and can flag any issues before you get there.
Thanks for the information that makes sense
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 09:30 AM

81,677 posts, read 75,117,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Thanks for the information that makes sense
It of course makes it much easier on THEM, but if that makes them happy and gets me through faster, I'm good.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:31 AM

3,569 posts, read 4,939,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
ArriveCAN is not convenient for those without cellphones. If one travels outside of Canada, then a hotel computer would be needed to fill out and return back.
Inconvenient but not to the point of not being able to cross the border. There are numerous public libraries that can allow you to use a public computer for a small or no fee. The individuals who will have a harder time with this are those who are not fluent in English or are of an older generation who are not technology savvy but wouldn't you anticipate such individuals to travel internationally with others who are fluent in English and tech savvy? How different is this than pre-pandemic days? The individuals who will really get tripped up on ArriveCAN and the new cross-border regulations are the ignoramuses like the two individuals interviewed in that CBC article who claimed they've never heard of ArriveCAN before and did not do the proper research and yet decided at the last minute they wanted to visit Niagara Falls, ON for a few hours. Sadly such Americans still exist, thinking that visiting a foreign country is like visiting the next door state.

Old 09-03-2022, 10:12 AM

22,925 posts, read 14,205,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Inconvenient but not to the point of not being able to cross the border. There are numerous public libraries that can allow you to use a public computer for a small or no fee. The individuals who will have a harder time with this are those who are not fluent in English or are of an older generation who are not technology savvy but wouldn't you anticipate such individuals to travel internationally with others who are fluent in English and tech savvy? How different is this than pre-pandemic days? The individuals who will really get tripped up on ArriveCAN and the new cross-border regulations are the ignoramuses like the two individuals interviewed in that CBC article who claimed they've never heard of ArriveCAN before and did not do the proper research and yet decided at the last minute they wanted to visit Niagara Falls, ON for a few hours. Sadly such Americans still exist, thinking that visiting a foreign country is like visiting the next door state.
We have had two American families visit us this summer and neither of them had any problem going through the ArriveCan process.

One of them still maintains his "license to carry" as a retired FBI crime scene photographer and was just asked: "do you have your firearm with you sir?" Upon being told "no sir" the guy just waved them through with a "have a nice visit". He gets asked the same question every time he crosses as it must be in his profile and has never once been sent to secondary inspection.

Both couples are in their mid-to-late 70's with what you might expect being the normal luddite tendencies to cringe at the use of their smart phones to perform any of that QR code, app loading stuff. Neither complained about the level of complication required.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:51 PM

1,028 posts, read 474,868 times
ArriveCAn should go since it's not being enforced consistently.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
How so? Do not all the crossings require it?

Old 09-03-2022, 10:36 PM

1,028 posts, read 474,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How so? Do not all the crossings require it?
It seems like you're defending this policy and want this to continue after this month.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
It seems like you're defending this policy and want this to continue after this month.
I don't care if it does or doesn't. I am a guest in your country, and I follow the rules for entry. As a person who likes logical procedures, I found ArriveCan sensible. If your government drops it tomorrow, it won't matter to me one way or another.

You made a cryptic remark, which I naturally asked you to clarify. If you don't want to explain your remark, fine, but there's no reason to leap to a nonsensical conclusion such as the one quoted above. I don't have the patience for stupid games.

Old 09-04-2022, 09:50 AM

13,505 posts, read 12,280,748 times
Quote:
Where? Please explain your above statement.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:32 PM

13,666 posts, read 13,967,988 times
Quote:
I think the reason it is still around is, it is a pretty decent mode to digitally confirm that the individual passing through the border has been immunized against covid. So that is very much consistent enforcement because every time you fill out your entry using it, it provides proof you are fully vaxxed.

I have used it numerous times and I must say, it is pretty reliable and i've had no problems with it at all and takes all but 3 minutes to complete. I get that some individuals are concerned about government overreach etc, but I think if you are of the opinion that individuals crossing the border should provide proof of immunization, this is actually much more efficient than presenting paperwork at the border.

Covid is still a virus concerning enough in my opinion to warrant this. I am sure the dust will settle with it and it'll be endemic to the point it'll be of a similar threat to the common cold or influenza but until that time, I think this is probably the best method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada