Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 05:30 PM

32 posts, read 34,368 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing that by April you won't need a Covid test to cross the border as long as you're fully vaccinated. I've been fully vaxxed since May and took a booster back in November.

Of course, the restrictions even after it opened have discouraged me from crossing. I'm confused as to whether the random testing thing will continue to apply to those crossing by land. All I know is that it'll still apply to air passengers.

Because if I go to Canada this year I'm planning on driving, specifically to Ontario from New York (I live in PA). I'm perfectly fine with showing my vaccine card - the problem I have is testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 12:52 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMcast View Post
I'm hearing that by April you won't need a Covid test to cross the border as long as you're fully vaccinated. I've been fully vaxxed since May and took a booster back in November.

Of course, the restrictions even after it opened have discouraged me from crossing. I'm confused as to whether the random testing thing will continue to apply to those crossing by land. All I know is that it'll still apply to air passengers.

Because if I go to Canada this year I'm planning on driving, specifically to Ontario from New York (I live in PA). I'm perfectly fine with showing my vaccine card - the problem I have is testing.
Yes mandatory random testing will continue for all travellers coming into Canada. It looks like it's by whatever means of travel they choose so you should be prepared for random testing if you are driving. Read the full report at the link below:

Quote:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...n-april-1.html

..... As a reminder, travellers arriving to Canada from any country, who qualify as fully vaccinated, may need to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival if selected for mandatory random testing. Travellers selected for mandatory random testing are not required to quarantine while awaiting their test result......

......All travellers continue to be required to submit their mandatory information in ArriveCAN (free mobile app or website) before their arrival in Canada. Travellers who arrive without completing their ArriveCAN submission may have to test on arrival and quarantine for 14 days, regardless of their vaccination status..... .

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-25-2022 at 01:01 AM..

Old 03-25-2022, 05:51 AM

OK well...who here has gotten the random testing?

Old 03-25-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
OK well...who here has gotten the random testing?
I don't think this particular forum has a large enough population of members to be adequately representative of travellers who might have been randomly tested. Maybe you should ask in the General USA forum. There's more people there.

I don't know if you're fishing for this question to be asked as an excuse to vent and go on a rant about testing or whatever but I'll ask the question anyway - what is your problem with random testing of travellers coming into Canada?

Old 03-25-2022, 01:42 PM

I just don't think it's necessary.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I just don't think it's necessary.
Okay I see - it's just a personal opinion you hold, it doesn't have anything to do with a disability or illness you might have that could make testing impractical or dangerous for you.

It's done to identify and track variants from around the world. Canada thinks that's very necessary more for the safety of its own citizens rather than what's considered necessary or convenient to foreign travellers, and so do a lot of other countries think the same way about protecting their own citizens. You'll have to accept that as a foreign traveller your opinion about what other countries consider necessary for themselves is never going to be important to them.

Keep in mind that as a foreign traveller you have far greater right to choose to not travel to anywhere and you have far less rights to travel to anywhere you choose. So if you feel very strongly about what you think are un-necessary decisions that other countries make for their own countries' protection maybe it will be necessary for you to wait until no more testing of any kind is done anywhere before you do any travelling to foreign countries. But it's the new way of the world, so you might end up being stuck in your own country for the rest of your life.

Or else just don't worry about it and if you seriously want to travel then always be prepared and willing to get tested (or vaccinated) if asked to when you want to visit other countries. Travellers have already been doing that for at least 150 years.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:05 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
If I had it my way, I'd prefer an option of either getting your own PCR test done within 72 hours or getting a mandatory test at the border provided by the Canadian government. That means those who can readily furnish a legit negative test taken within 72 hours ought to be exempt from the border testing. Then hey, the Canadian government is generously providing taxpayer funded tests free of charge to visitors and Canadian returnees in lieu of a potentially expensive private test because they care that much about public health. They even dropped the requirement that you must quarantine to wait for your results so you can go about your business. So what if you are randomly selected. I can't see how that is much for complaining. There are worse situations you can be in.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
or getting a mandatory test at the border provided by the Canadian government.
I think that's what the RANDOM test is. Unless I missed it I don't think people who are randomly tested have to pay anything for the test.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
If I had it my way, I'd prefer an option of either getting your own PCR test done within 72 hours or getting a mandatory test at the border provided by the Canadian government. That means those who can readily furnish a legit negative test taken within 72 hours ought to be exempt from the border testing. Then hey, the Canadian government is generously providing taxpayer funded tests free of charge to visitors and Canadian returnees in lieu of a potentially expensive private test because they care that much about public health. They even dropped the requirement that you must quarantine to wait for your results so you can go about your business. So what if you are randomly selected. I can't see how that is much for complaining. There are worse situations you can be in.
It's because I overthink this kind of stuff more than I should...

Old 03-26-2022, 08:41 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
I have crossed a few times, if you are traveling for one day or two they probably won't test you, by the times results are back you are back in the States. Thats if they believe your truthful answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada