Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 09:12 PM

3,612 posts, read 3,377,394 times

Advertisements

Same here. Last week, snow. This week, a beautiful day today, high of +19C. Didn't even need a coat or jacket to go to the supermarket yesterday.

Apropos of nothing, I am right now, watching "Canada's Got Talent" on CityTV. So far, no contestant on tonight's show could be served in a bar anywhere in Canada. I'm recalling "Tiny Talent Time" on Sunday afternoons, on Channel 11, out of Hamilton, Ontario. But tonight's kids are much more talented than anybody on "Tiny Talent Time."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 02:36 AM

Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

Well, I wished, and right now, I'm glad to see that we have many spirited and active discussions on the Canada forum. From Jordan Peterson to Justin Trudeau to Toronto's transit system, I'm glad to see that we are discussing things.

Thanks, folks. Let's keep this forum active.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:45 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

Well, I wished, and right now, I'm glad to see that we have many spirited and active discussions on the Canada forum. From Jordan Peterson to Justin Trudeau to Toronto's transit system, I'm glad to see that we are discussing things.

Thanks, folks. Let's keep this forum active.
Ha!

Old 12-12-2023, 02:22 AM

7,263 posts, read 9,274,952 times
So. Does anyone have a gift idea for the businessman who has everything and could buy anything he wanted if he didn't have it? His interests would be high tech stuff that's new on the market, travel, downhill skiing, investments, fast cars, expensive women, art, but not the kind of art I can afford. Even a low tech idea would be helpful at this point. I've been trying to think of what a businessman would want that's under $100 if only he weren't looking at the higher price points. Kind of like kids will ignore the expensive stuff in favour of the cheap stuff that's actually fun.

From the books he has sent he reads dense non-fiction involving economic theory.

Anyone? Surely there must be something interesting and cheap in the world. I can't spend every night googling for gifts.

Old 12-12-2023, 07:29 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,484,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So. Does anyone have a gift idea for the businessman who has everything and could buy anything he wanted if he didn't have it? His interests would be high tech stuff that's new on the market, travel, downhill skiing, investments, fast cars, expensive women, art, but not the kind of art I can afford. Even a low tech idea would be helpful at this point. I've been trying to think of what a businessman would want that's under $100 if only he weren't looking at the higher price points. Kind of like kids will ignore the expensive stuff in favour of the cheap stuff that's actually fun.

From the books he has sent he reads dense non-fiction involving economic theory.

Anyone? Surely there must be something interesting and cheap in the world. I can't spend every night googling for gifts.
Has he ever had his DNA tested? That’s been popular in recent years. The kit is on sale now on Ancestry for $79 plus shipping. There is no shipping charge to return the DNA sample.

https://www.ancestry.ca/c/dna/offer?...h=Web+Property

I connected my results to the family tree I had created on Ancestry as my interest is genealogy. However, many of my DNA relatives are only interested in obtaining a breakdown of their ethnicity. They register the kit using an anonymous screen name, don’t create a tree and thus are completely anonymous to me. I can only see how much DNA we share plus a list of other DNA relatives we have in common.

This special offer is on the Canadian site and probably requires the DNA sample to be mailed back from within Canada. Mailing a “human specimen” internationally is trickier document-wise.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:26 PM

7,263 posts, read 9,274,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Has he ever had his DNA tested? That’s been popular in recent years. The kit is on sale now on Ancestry for $79 plus shipping. There is no shipping charge to return the DNA sample.

https://www.ancestry.ca/c/dna/offer?...h=Web+Property

I connected my results to the family tree I had created on Ancestry as my interest is genealogy. However, many of my DNA relatives are only interested in obtaining a breakdown of their ethnicity. They register the kit using an anonymous screen name, don’t create a tree and thus are completely anonymous to me. I can only see how much DNA we share plus a list of other DNA relatives we have in common.

This special offer is on the Canadian site and probably requires the DNA sample to be mailed back from within Canada. Mailing a “human specimen” internationally is trickier document-wise.
Do they send a card or something to notify the individual? He lost both parents in the last year. It might be a really good idea.

Old 12-12-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Do they send a card or something to notify the individual? He lost both parents in the last year. It might be a really good idea.
I bought my kit about 10 years ago and it wasn’t a gift.

You have to let the recipient know the kit is coming according to the “Additional Information” section on this page: https://support.ancestry.ca/s/article/Gifting-a-DNA-Kit

This page lists what the recipient does after receiving the kit: https://support.ancestry.ca/s/articl...yDNA-as-a-Gift

Over the years I’ve noticed several of my cousins create family trees right after a close relative dies. They are usually young and don’t maintain their trees as they have other priorities (e.g. young children) at that stage of their lives.

Old 01-18-2024, 02:05 AM

Welp, here we are in the midst of an Alberta cold snap, and my furnace gave up. Thankfully a repairman could come out, and perform makeshift repairs, but as he said, my furnace had gone well beyond its expected life span (he could tell by doing a serial number search), and maybe I should look at a new one.

So I did. The makeshift repairs kept me going through temps as cold as -37C--well done repair technician! The new furnace was delivered and installed today. So now, I am toasty and warm, and very happy.

I might not be tomorrow--I get to shovel a foot of snow in subzero temps. Groan!

Old 01-18-2024, 10:30 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Welp, here we are in the midst of an Alberta cold snap, and my furnace gave up. Thankfully a repairman could come out, and perform makeshift repairs, but as he said, my furnace had gone well beyond its expected life span (he could tell by doing a serial number search), and maybe I should look at a new one.

So I did. The makeshift repairs kept me going through temps as cold as -37C--well done repair technician! The new furnace was delivered and installed today. So now, I am toasty and warm, and very happy.

I might not be tomorrow--I get to shovel a foot of snow in subzero temps. Groan!
Vancouver had a few very cold days when an arctic outflow blew on in. Yesterday we got a good 20 cm of snow.
Today so far nothing, but it's suppose to be a mix of rain an snow. As usual it will most likely all be gone by next week.

The usual posts on social media about Vancouver shutting down and how Vancouverites can't drive in the snow were posted.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:57 PM

My condo building was built in 2004. Gas furnaces were installed in every condo unit, in a tiny room off each balcony. The furnaces were kind of unusual to me, as they also included air conditioning. Filters are also a bit of a pain as they are not a standard size sold locally in retail stores.

Anyway, a furnace has had to be replaced here and there over the years. Last year six owners decided to replace their furnaces proactively. The special furnaces had to shipped from a company in Ontario. Cost of each furnace: $14,000!

When I was living in Calgary, my house had two furnaces which seemed very strange to me coming from a similar sized house in Toronto i.e. only 3-bedrooms. The two furnaces were identical and stood side by side in the basement. One furnace heated the top floor and the other heated the main floor and finished basement. I turned out to be rather glad I had two. One furnace seemed to stop working without warning every year or two, while the other worked flawlessly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada