Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 07:00 PM

26,809 posts, read 37,866,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
French-Canadian!

I have never heard a French-Canadian Catholic talk about religion. I've only heard Catholics of other nationalities speak a few times about religion. Not that I'm an expert in how Catholics do or don't talk about religion.
Yeah, my parents (French Canadian practising Catholics) never talked about religion much with people outside their innermost circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 10:49 PM

3,612 posts, read 3,377,394 times
We had a French-Canadian family in our Toronto neighbourhood, when I was growing up. Their kids played with all of us, and the parents were friendly with the other parents in the neighbourhood. Religion was never discussed, either between us kids, or between our parents, or both.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:35 AM

Something that made me smile earlier today.

I had the screen door to the back deck open, and a black-capped chickadee came to visit. Finding nothing it could eat, he complained. Right at the screen door, to me, who was sitting in my easy chair near the door. I wasn't about to open it, because I don't need a wild bird flying in my house. But maybe I should fill a feeder and put it in my yard, so I don't get scolded again.

Black-capped chickadees are common around here. They will actually come to your hand, if the other hand has anything to offer. A few have alighted on me, when I've had birdseed to give. They are very light--hardly any weight--and their song is wonderful.

Nothing important, just had to share what made me smile today.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:31 AM

14,729 posts, read 14,904,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

.... I had the screen door to the back deck open, and a black-capped chickadee came to visit. Finding nothing it could eat, he complained. Right at the screen door, to me, who was sitting in my easy chair near the door. I wasn't about to open it, because I don't need a wild bird flying in my house. But maybe I should fill a feeder and put it in my yard, so I don't get scolded again.......
I love, love, love the wee black-capped chickadees, everything about them is so sweet and adorable. I don't have feeders up but there's enough green space and gardens around here that there's lots of chickadees feeding in the trees and shrubbery all the time.

If you want to put up a bird feeder for the chickadees keep in mind it will attract other more aggressive birds that will take over the territory and chase away the chickadees. But if you want to do it for other birds too, here's an urgent heads up.

Please wait until the bird flu has ended because we have an epidemic of it happening again here in Canada now too as well as in the States and bird feeders promote the more rapid spreading of the flu to both farms and wildlife. Poultry quarantine measures have been put in place in Canada and both wildlife and agriculture authorities are begging people to take down and put away their bird feeders right out of sight. Here is the status of ongoing avian influenza by province, you can find out what's happening with it in your province:

https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-.../1640207916934

Here's a City Data thread about it https://www.city-data.com/forum/natu...-bird-flu.html

Old 05-12-2022, 09:03 PM

Good point, Zo. Okay, no feeders until after the bird flu.

Bird life around here is not terribly varied. Mostly, it consists of crows, magpies, robins, chickadees, and the occasional blue jay. But get out of town a little ways, and it gets a lot more interesting--I've seen ospreys and owls on a couple of favourite golf courses, for example.

Old 05-29-2022, 11:08 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,807,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I had many great discussions with Fusion via PM, all about Toronto. I'm originally from Toronto, and he and I knew many of the same places, and the same things. So do me a favour: the next time you speak with him on the phone, give him hell (naw, just kidding) for not letting me know when he passed through Alberta. Then tell him to dig through his e-mail contacts, and find my address, and drop me a note--we corresponded that way a few times also. He's a good guy, and I'd like to keep in touch with him.

Of course you can! Heck, you know us Canadians so well, I'd suggest that you are an honorary Canadian. Hope your extension comes through. I understand if you cannot explore as much of Canada as you'd like to, but if you ever can, you know you'll have plenty of recommendations from all of us across the country. Hey, have you made it to Bitondo's in Toronto for pizza yet?

Nat, thanks for all that. I've done the tourist stuff in Vancouver, but it's great to get a Vancouverite's take on what to see and do. Thanks for the recommendations, and I will be sure to check them out the next time I am in town. Not sure if I can handle 29 km on a bike, so I'll have to practice in the parks here (and thanks for the impetus to get off my butt and onto my bike this spring). Name your favourite pub--I'll buy you a beer for those tips.

I have been to Victoria and Whistler, but only scratched the surface. Still, I can claim to have enjoyed a dry martini in the Bengal Lounge of the Empress, so there's that.
Awww sorry i disappeared buddy! Feeling is entirely mutual I'm alive and kicking. Much has happened. There are times in life where you feel you're just coasting along and other times its warp 9.9 and the latter has been happening to me the last few years. Things are starting to coast again and i'm good with that so i'll pop in more often. I'll definitely be back to AB. I was in my zen moment driving from Banff to Jasper - but next time i'll definitely swing by! Would be great to see you. Either in Alberta, Ontario or heck Vegas. I'm closer to Detroit these days if you have the spine for it

Hope you and the Cad crew in here are all doing well. I'll catch up on stuff and sad to hear about Jambo....we need to seize every moment in this life and make the most of it - no regrets!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-30-2022 at 12:13 AM..

Old 05-29-2022, 11:40 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,807,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post

Just an update, on our friend Fusion2, we chat on the phone a few a times a year. He got tired of having to defend Toronto on a lot of threads. For some odd reason, the city gets a lot of smack talk on C-D (and possibly real life?) and overall he found posting on C-D (not this forum) too contentious. He's very well travelled in an intercontinental sort of way and he loves going to Asia and always took advantage of formerly cheap airfares from YYZ to the world over. Over the last two years, he's travelled all over Canada, to Vancouver, Banff, Saskatchewan, & Winnipeg. He never travelled around his own country very much and so he made the best of the travel restrictions we've all faced to some degree and travelled around the provinces. He's currently at nine out of his goal for 10 provinces with only Newfoundland left, and believe me I give him an earful of how he has to experience my favorite province. He's doing well though, in case anyone was interested.
Hey Buddy! To clarify its not that I got sick of defending Toronto, as much as it was just silly engaging in discussions with people who simply had their mind made up and seemingly not wanting to open a closed mind, regardless of how the discussion went. That wasn't really just about Toronto, it was about topics in general. I really started to think who is the other person on the other end and questioning authenticity (not in reference to established posters - you know who I mean). Plus opportunity costs, just didn't have the time. That said, I did see more of my country and thrilled I did. Back at it internationally though, just wrapping up Colombia Hope VT is treating you well still!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-29-2022 at 11:57 PM..

Old 05-30-2022, 12:28 PM

26,809 posts, read 37,866,079 times
He!

Is!

Back!

:d

Old 05-31-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Awww sorry i disappeared buddy! Feeling is entirely mutual I'm alive and kicking. Much has happened. There are times in life where you feel you're just coasting along and other times its warp 9.9 and the latter has been happening to me the last few years. Things are starting to coast again and i'm good with that so i'll pop in more often. I'll definitely be back to AB. I was in my zen moment driving from Banff to Jasper - but next time i'll definitely swing by! Would be great to see you. Either in Alberta, Ontario or heck Vegas. I'm closer to Detroit these days if you have the spine for it

Hope you and the Cad crew in here are all doing well. I'll catch up on stuff and sad to hear about Jambo....we need to seize every moment in this life and make the most of it - no regrets!
Great to hear from you, Fusion, and especially great to hear that you're doing well! I well know when it's "warp 9.9," and when it's coasting, so I understand.

Glad you took some time to see this wonderful country of ours. Yes, let me know when you'll next be in Alberta--we'll get you down to Waterton Lakes National Park. Just as scenic as Banff, but with much fewer tourists. I have no immediate plans to be in Ontario any time soon (but who knows what might happen?), but Alberta, certainly; and I may be in Las Vegas sometime this fall. Those plans are to be determined, of course.

Anyway, once again, great to have you back; and I'm looking forward to your contributions!

Old 06-03-2022, 06:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,471,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hey Buddy! To clarify its not that I got sick of defending Toronto, as much as it was just silly engaging in discussions with people who simply had their mind made up and seemingly not wanting to open a closed mind, regardless of how the discussion went. That wasn't really just about Toronto, it was about topics in general. I really started to think who is the other person on the other end and questioning authenticity (not in reference to established posters - you know who I mean). Plus opportunity costs, just didn't have the time. That said, I did see more of my country and thrilled I did. Back at it internationally though, just wrapping up Colombia Hope VT is treating you well still!
I was just in Toronto...got back yesterday.

I thought of you LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada