Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 04:10 AM

178 posts, read 115,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
think New Brunswick is as far as we'd be willing to go. Somewhere between there and Kingston.
On the map, the area between Kingston ON and New Brunswick - what places would have a "sizeable population", according to your desire? Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, and that's about it. For the hospitality industry, the Charlevoix region (Baie-Saint-Paul, la Malbaie, the new ski Club Med). Around Montreal: Tremblant obviously, maybe Sherbrooke (more French though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 09:29 AM

26,870 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
Ottawa would be fine if it didn't get so crime-ridden as you went further out from the downtown area. l.
Ottawa isn't really that crime-ridden, so I hope I didn't scare you off with my comments.

Though yes there are some areas where the lights on the crime dashboard are showing up as yellow.

Of course, any medium to large city in Canada is crime-ridden compared to Quebec City.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
St. John's isn't that bad if you prefer snow over cold.
St. John's is probably the most interesting city of its size in Canada. But as others have said it is isolated and somewhat small.

The winter weather isn't actually that bad comparatively speaking (it's harsh anywhere in Canada outside of SW BC) but what's probably worst about the climate in St. John's are the other seasons (often cool, drizzly and foggy) and the impression that some years after waiting so long for it to arrive, you actually only get a few real days of summer.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:38 AM

For people who value urbanity, to me the best cities in Atlantic Canada are Halifax and Charlottetown.
Saint John NB has awesome bones but was down on its luck for a very long time, though things are looking up there. Fredericton doesn't have the architecture of Saint John but has been more consistently prosperous, though it seems less intact and cohesive to me than Charlottetown is.

Moncton actually has quite a bit more urban "stuff" than Charlottetown does but its urbanity feels more gappy and incomplete than the others. In a decade or so it will probably be there, though.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:48 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
St. John's is probably the most interesting city of its size in Canada. But as others have said it is isolated and somewhat small.

The winter weather isn't actually that bad comparatively speaking (it's harsh anywhere in Canada outside of SW BC) but what's probably worst about the climate in St. John's are the other seasons (often cool, drizzly and foggy) and the impression that some years after waiting so long for it to arrive, you actually only get a few real days of summer.
Having grown up there, Acajack, when you have repeated snowfalls of heavy, wet snow -- which is fun to shovel -- over a period of multiple months that can accumulate into and be measured in feet, you learn to dislike winter weather pretty darned quick. And the freeze-thaw cycle there would try the patience of a saint, to say nothing of the howling winds! Good luck walking in that.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Having grown up there, Acajack, when you have repeated snowfalls of heavy, wet snow -- which is fun to shovel -- over a period of multiple months that can accumulate into and be measured in feet, you learn to dislike winter weather pretty darned quick. And the freeze-thaw cycle there would try the patience of a saint, to say nothing of the howling winds! Good luck walking in that.
Well, St John's due to the freeze-thaw cycle actually has more snow-free days than most places in Canada. That's a plus for some people.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:10 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, St John's due to the freeze-thaw cycle actually has more snow-free days than most places in Canada. That's a plus for some people.
I wouldn't use that as any kind of metric if I were you. In the winter, St. John's is pretty horrific. You can trust me on that.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:28 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,128 times
St. Johns Signal Hill station which is near downtown harbour does get 100cm less snow than the airport and probably melts faster. Is that relief?

Old 05-17-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I wouldn't use that as any kind of metric if I were you. In the winter, St. John's is pretty horrific. You can trust me on that.
Everyone is different but I've had a lot of winter weather thrown at me in lots of different regions.

I am not that affected by the weather but I think what I would find hard is how spring arrives so late and slowly, and when it does it's so often disappointing.

For example, we're into the last half of May and St John's has no highs above 20C for the next two weeks. In fact, half the days are forecast to have highs below 10C.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:54 PM

58 posts, read 80,178 times
I really appreciate all the info. It looks like the Maritimes are not likely to be as attractive to us. Not for the weather as much as access to other more densely populated parts of this part of Canada. So, looking more closely at Kingston then and I suppose Ottawa is worth another look, it's just that when we searched, we almost need to spend double what we pay here unless we wanna live further away and it doesn't look like things look very interesting neighbourhood-wise when you get too suburban in Ottawa. And the whole point here is to leave the province of Quebec so we're not too interested in what Hull and Gatineau are like.
Anyone know if parts of Ottawa respond to what we're looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada