Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 02:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh I think there are too many guns, too. The problem is that the ones who do love their guns REALLY love them.
In a weird way, I do feel sorry for legal gun owners in the US. I'm not anti-gun per se, but against certain types of guns being available. Mainly the ones that are made just to kill people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 03:02 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
Quote:
Oh I think there are too many guns, too. The problem is that the ones who do love their guns REALLY love them.
I remember a Christmas card I saw of a family, each member holding a gun and beaming, gathered together around a Christmas tree. To me guns symbolize death. So it blew me away that this family celebrated the birth of Christ by proudly flaunting guns on a Christmas card. Most Christians I know would celebrate Christ’s birth with a message of “peace and goodwill”, not by glorifying guns, a symbol of death, war and destruction. It was a complete disconnect and seemed very disrespectful to their religion.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:29 PM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I remember a Christmas card I saw of a family, each member holding a gun and beaming, gathered together around a Christmas tree. To me guns symbolize death. So it blew me away that this family celebrated the birth of Christ by proudly flaunting guns on a Christmas card. Most Christians I know would celebrate Christ’s birth with a message of “peace and goodwill”, not by glorifying guns, a symbol of death, war and destruction. It was a complete disconnect and seemed very disrespectful to their religion.
I completely agree very disrespectful. There is a Politician in Florida that is running for some office. He is running an add on TV where he is wearing mitary clothes, and pointing a gun. He is pushing for gun rights. He looks like a complete fool. Can you imagine having a conversation with him on any subject. I imagine he would be difficult to spend time with. One track Mind I imagine

Old 06-16-2022, 10:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
I saw that as well. I think on Facebook a few years back.

From a psychological viewpoint, it would be VERY interesting to hear their take on this.

Peace, Love, and an AR-15?

Then again, I read one US politician giving thanks to all things American, and claimed Jesus was American, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-16-2022 at 11:04 PM..

Old 06-16-2022, 11:18 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In a weird way, I do feel sorry for legal gun owners in the US. I'm not anti-gun per se, but against certain types of guns being available. Mainly the ones that are made just to kill people.
Same here. Although I lean pretty far left with most things, I do know there was a historical reason that our country's founders wrote the right to bear arms into the Constitution of the United States. If government and criminals can get them easily enough, the private citizen who wants to own firearms should be able to do so, as well.

But some of these weapons have no reason for existence other than to kill a lot of human beings quickly, and that's going beyond personal defense.

The time we took the shotguns into the woods with the kids and learned to shoot, my brother-in-law first made us all watch an NRA film on basic gun safety. That was wise.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I saw that. It was a US Congressman's family, if I recall correctly. Creepy.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I saw that as well. I think on Facebook a few years back.

From a psychological viewpoint, it would be VERY interesting to hear their take on this.

Peace, Love, and an AR-15?

Then again, I read one US politician giving thanks to all things American, and claimed Jesus was American, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
No, you shouldn't be. I'm a moderator on the Religion & Spirituality forum, and before I was, I would not have believed the wack-a-doo things people claim in the name of Christianity until I saw it and heard it and received their ugly DMs for myself.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:57 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Now comes news that a 70 year old attending a church potluck dinner killed three seniors, two 84 year old's and a 75 year old. The guy was apparently a licensed firearm dealer. No motive given in the article.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...nw6?li=AAggFp4

I'm flummoxed as to how they're going to get a grip on this plague.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting

We need to remember that whatever is going on in the U.S. will, without a doubt morph across the line in the dirt if we do not take effective measures, and I don't mean just more of the relatively ineffective laws or bans when the things can come across the border in any number of ways.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:39 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Now comes news that a 70 year old attending a church potluck dinner killed three seniors, two 84 year old's and a 75 year old. The guy was apparently a licensed firearm dealer. No motive given in the article.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...nw6?li=AAggFp4

I'm flummoxed as to how they're going to get a grip on this plague.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting

We need to remember that whatever is going on in the U.S. will, without a doubt morph across the line in the dirt if we do not take effective measures, and I don't mean just more of the relatively ineffective laws or bans when the things can come across the border in any number of ways.
Americans first need to agree that gun violence is an issue they want to actually deal with. Until then nothing can happen.

And yes we need to be more active in preventing the environment where more gun violence will occur. I do disgree about gun laws being ineffective. However gun laws can only be a portion of the solution to this increasing problem.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Same here. Although I lean pretty far left with most things, I do know there was a historical reason that our country's founders wrote the right to bear arms into the Constitution of the United States. If government and criminals can get them easily enough, the private citizen who wants to own firearms should be able to do so, as well.

But some of these weapons have no reason for existence other than to kill a lot of human beings quickly, and that's going beyond personal defense.

The time we took the shotguns into the woods with the kids and learned to shoot, my brother-in-law first made us all watch an NRA film on basic gun safety. That was wise.
Yeah its hard to imagine the founders envisioning an AR-15, when they conceived the right to bear arms in your Constitution. If they could see now what was going on, it would be interesting to get their perspective on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada