Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 08:08 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I don't know what's best for Canada but I can't say I blame them, for having the sense to deal with life in 2022. The USA has a tremendous problem on its hands with the slaughter of its own even our kids, yet I don't have to tell anyone its not dealth with and we all know it. Canada I'm sure is well aware of how problems in this country, can easily become their problems.

I will add one of the reasons the USA has this horrible problem is another issue no one want to address. We have 50 states many of which operate as separate cultures and mindsets and laws. These differences are impacting the safety and the manner in which the USA is being governed. Both on an individual state level as well as Federal Level. Not all these states belong in the same country, and that fact has caught up with the USA.

At least Canada has enough sense to waste no time in recognizing ,they just can't sit back and just wait for something to happen. I give Canada alot of credit for taking action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 08:34 AM

1,119 posts, read 607,749 times
The main difference is that Canada's "Progressive Conservatives" are not as extreme as your GOP.

That's not to say we don't have our extreme right wing parties here, the difference is that they are small parties that are kicked out of the main PC group. Though the PC's out west in Alberta, etc are much more right leaning.

The gun culture in Canada has never been "extreme". We obviously have our pro gun groups, but if you look at the major metropolitan cities, the vast majority of people do not own guns unless they are hunters. And only then do they own single action or shotgun type guns, not military style weapons.

Of all my friends that I've known (well) all my life, only 2 owned guns... and they were shotguns for hunting duck.

Most Canadians are shocked when they hear about some States were it was common to see people walk in Walmart openly packing a firearm. It is just not something we normalize in Canada for good reason.

The anger and division in America is scary. Exacerbated the horribly unstable and childish 45th president. If he runs again, it is on every responsible American to go vote and make sure this petulant child doesn't even get close to being re-elected.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:42 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
AR-15s are easy to learn how to shoot. They are accurate, light, and don't produce a lot of recoil, making the gun perfect for everyone. These are just some of the reasons why it is the most popular rifle used in shooting sports. Furthermore, the AR 15 rifle replaced nearly every other carbine or rifle used by law enforcement because it is so effective in various applications.

Complete article here:

https://www.concealedcarry.com/natio...ne-need-ar-15/
Also a major diffence between the States and Canada is that all rifles in Canada have a legal.maximum load of five rounds. Guns like the AR15 are going to be banned due to the ease of obtaining illegal higher capacity magazines.

Having gown up in a farming community and in the town of 1200 people I do not think of itvss an urban area. I do think of my current city of 61000 closer to it although in attitude and in respect to rifles it is is still pretty rural.

No one needs an assult style rifle for hunting nor any need for a high capacity magazine. If you need 20 rounds to bring down a deer you must be hunting for hamburger.

There is also the gun culture attitude in the Stated that is much lower here plus the more through background checks which seems slack and incomplete south of us. If guns dont kill people people kill.people then they should make a better effort in keeping people wanting tonkill people from having guns.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:46 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
I’m generally in favor of the proposed new laws but don’t feel strongly about them because I’m not knowledgeable about the subject of guns and there are very few shootings in my city. My impression is that the rare shootings (in my city) are mainly criminals shooting other criminals. Drug bust photos usually show money, drugs and guns. I doubt the guns were legally acquired and were probably smuggled from the U.S. or, as in one photo I saw, 3-D printed.

So if some Canadians can make a good case for some alterations to the proposed new laws, I’m open minded.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:06 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
The main difference is that Canada's "Progressive Conservatives" are not as extreme as your GOP.

That's not to say we don't have our extreme right wing parties here, the difference is that they are small parties that are kicked out of the main PC group. Though the PC's out west in Alberta, etc are much more right leaning.

The gun culture in Canada has never been "extreme". We obviously have our pro gun groups, but if you look at the major metropolitan cities, the vast majority of people do not own guns unless they are hunters. And only then do they own single action or shotgun type guns, not military style weapons.

Of all my friends that I've known (well) all my life, only 2 owned guns... and they were shotguns for hunting duck.

Most Canadians are shocked when they hear about some States were it was common to see people walk in Walmart openly packing a firearm. It is just not something we normalize in Canada for good reason.

The anger and division in America is scary. Exacerbated the horribly unstable and childish 45th president. If he runs again, it is on every responsible American to go vote and make sure this petulant child doesn't even get close to being re-elected.
There are no Progressive Conservatives in Alberta. Provincially there is the United Cobservative Party which gobbled up the PC much like thecRefodm gobbled up the federal PC but the UCP is realky the old Wild Rose Party

As far as open carry into WalMart being common or legal, I also find it totally strange when I have entered a bank in smaller cities in the States and there are armed guards in the bank.i donnot know if it is common in larger cities like TO or even Calgary but I have never seen an armed guard that at a bank that was not with a Brinks delivery.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
There are no Progressive Conservatives in Alberta. Provincially there is the United Cobservative Party which gobbled up the PC much like thecRefodm gobbled up the federal PC but the UCP is realky the old Wild Rose Party

As far as open carry into WalMart being common or legal, I also find it totally strange when I have entered a bank in smaller cities in the States and there are armed guards in the bank.i donnot know if it is common in larger cities like TO or even Calgary but I have never seen an armed guard that at a bank that was not with a Brinks delivery.
Thank you for the PC clarification.

Come to think of it, I think I'm the same - I've never seen anybody armed except for police officers or brinks truck type officers.

The difference in cultures are stark. Even in our largest cities seeing a gun is strange. But I guess in Texas we can walk to the corner store strapped to get our bags of milk... ooops they don't have them in bags lol.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
The whole subject of firearms is convoluted with their use being multipurpose from that on one end of the spectrum being "recreational" to the other end being "hunting".

Each of those sets brings any number of subsets into play; for example:

One end of spectrum being recreation - target shooting at a range in a family type of setting to full bore long range target competitions, through the fast reaction semi-auto combat handgun training, to even the old fashioned quick draw competitions with thousands of dollars spent on single actions and beautiful hand tooled holster rigs. Some people make a living at this with thousands of dollars worth of endorsement sponsorships.

Other end being the hunting - this is influenced more by what you're hunting; from pheasant, up through food based such as deer, moose etc. to big game of grizzlies. In amongst those are the culling of creatures that have reached nuisance or even damage to environment status from coyotes to those terrible feral hogs and maybe even those axle-grease-crapping Canadian Geese.

We in Canada see no reason to have AR derivatives in our gun safes today - BUT, should the feral hog problem reach the proportion of absolute scourge-on-the-earth it has become in the lower 48, I can predict many western Canadians demanding to have a special purchase order allowed for an AR style '223 or 5.6 and even allowed hunting from helicopters. If there is a situation warranting that allowance it would be the vast tracts of unpopulated land that is farmed with crops from turnips to corn and some guy walking those endless miles of land with his Marlin semi-auto is just not going to cut it by way of reducing their numbers effectively. They breed like flies.

My long winded explanation here is that the issuance of firearm owner certs should fit a demonstrable need for a particular firearm and yes; that should include handguns that never leave a gun locker at some certified gun club firing range.

Knee jerk nonsense by uninformed politicians should be the anathema to any thinking person who values careful considered study and reasonable responses to tragic circumstances authored primarily by either the criminal or mentally ill element of society.

Just my $00.02 c's.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:48 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,468 times
I think people, regardless of where they live, have a natural right to defend themselves against those who would otherwise do them harm. I'm glad I don't live in Canada, however since Trudeau wants to restrict Canadian citizen's ability to defend themselves, I hope the US can send as many firearms to law abiding citizens as possible. The problem here is many of these weapons will also end up in the hands of criminals (they'll get them anyway). I think the Canadian Government should back off of its' recently announced coming restrictions... or prepare for a much HIGHER flood of firearms from the US.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:17 PM

2,390 posts, read 1,561,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepretata View Post
Sorry but people in Canada don't suffer from the same paranoia you guys in the US have.

Nobody goes around thinking "I need to buy guns in case the government decides to establish a tyrannical regime".

That kind of mentality doesn't fly in Canada, in part because people are more educated and also because there are are not many far-right media outlets poisoning people's minds with that sort of trash.
i think there are not many neighborhoods in Canada where you would live in fear criminals with guns threatening your property and/or family We do have a problem with gangs and guns in our major cities but they rarely endanger the general population

Old 05-31-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
I think people, regardless of where they live, have a natural right to defend themselves against those who would otherwise do them harm. I'm glad I don't live in Canada, however since Trudeau wants to restrict Canadian citizen's ability to defend themselves, I hope the US can send as many firearms to law abiding citizens as possible. The problem here is many of these weapons will also end up in the hands of criminals (they'll get them anyway). I think the Canadian Government should back off of its' recently announced coming restrictions... or prepare for a much HIGHER flood of firearms from the US.
We're also glad that you don't live in Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada