Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 06:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
She knows that, which was why the requested it. She could have purchased food, linens, bath towels, cleaning products, etc. there, so we both thought that was a good bet. Except it wasn't.

She was in a rather desperate situation, so I resorted to "old school" with Western Union. She sold her car, and most of her personal possessions to make this move.

As far as a personal check is concerned, she hasn't opened a bank account yet. She no longer works because she is in remission from breast cancer, so she is on a disability program.

If I am not sending money, to her, does anyone know if American department stores will deliver to Canada?

Thanks to all of you who gave suggestions!
Re: the bolded part above, if she is on a disability program through any government agency then she has to have an account with a recognized financial institution in Canada, i.e. a bank or a credit union. In Canada any kinds of pensions or welfare or disability programs benefits must be paid to the recipient via automatic deposit into the recipient's bank or CU account. If the recipient doesn't hold an account with a financial institution then the recipient doesn't get their money. If your friend hasn't opened an account yet in Glace Bay she better do that PDQ - although I'm sure she's already aware of that immediate requirement if she qualifies for disability benefits.

Which leads me to this question. Sheena, forgive me for asking but I'm only asking out of concern for YOU and your own welfare - how well do you know this friend, and for how long? Are you 100% positive you aren't being scammed for money and material goods by an "internet friend" who is wanting to make sure she does not leave any kind of financial paper trail that can be discovered by government agencies that she's getting disability benefits money from?

It seems unusual that a person who is apparently on disability benefits in Vancouver would leave the very good provincial social programs there, sell everything and travel across the country to live in near destitution in a small Atlantic coastal mining town in another province that doesn't have social programs as good as British Columbia's programs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 10:41 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m Canadian and use Amazon.ca. However I was able to sign in to Amazon.com just now using the same email address and password. Once in, I navigated to the screen to buy an American gift card (“This Gift Card can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services available on Amazon.com, and cannot be used on Amazon websites in other countries.”)

See if you can do the reverse i.e. sign into Amazon.ca and buy a gift card from there. Your credit card would be charged the U.S. dollar equivalent of the Canadian amount for a gift card.

I’m not sure this will work for you though. I joined Amazon.com about 20 years ago before there was a Canadian site plus I was a subscriber to audible.com for many years. So that may be the reason I can sign in to both Amazon sites.

For miscellaneous household items, I suggest your friend look at thrift stores or garage sales. She may be able to find real bargains.
You know what? I think I was mistaken. I think I COULD sign into Amazon.ca with my Amazon.com password but my American Amazon Prime didn't count in Canada.

Old 06-28-2022, 02:59 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's very frustrating that we are so close geographically, and many stores have the same name, but gift cards, which are easy to send, don't work.
The thing you have to remember is that Walmart USA and Walmart Canada are two entirely different companies.

It's not just Walmart. It's also McDonald's, and IBM, and Microsoft, and Pizza Hut, among others.

So, we have Walmart of Canada, 100% owned by Walmart USA. And IBM Canada, 100% owned by IBM USA. And Microsoft Canada, owned 100% by Microsoft USA. And McDonald's, 100% owned by McDonalds, USA. And so on. Regardless, according to Canadian business law, no American corporation can set up shop in Canada without registering as a Canadian corporation, with all the rights and obligations that entails. In other words, what you think of as an American company in Canada is actually Canadian, with only the most tenuous connection to the US.

And you can bet that Walmart, IBM, Microsoft, and McDonald's are not American corporations in Canada. They are Canadian. And thus, with a gift card drawn on Walmart USA, you are trying to get Walmart Canada to honor it. Nope, ain't happening, two different companies in two different countries.

Thing is, that just because a Canadian company shares a name with an American company, does not mean that the Canadian company is the same thing. They can often be quite different.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:34 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
What does she need to buy at Walmart? Small goods? Bath towels? Just buy them and send them and your postage isn't going to cost you more than you would lose in the exchange rate if you are being charged the tourist exchange rate.

She probably will not be driving 12 miles each way for her grocery shopping. not with the price of gasoline in Canada.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
The thing you have to remember is that Walmart USA and Walmart Canada are two entirely different companies.

It's not just Walmart. It's also McDonald's, and IBM, and Microsoft, and Pizza Hut, among others.

So, we have Walmart of Canada, 100% owned by Walmart USA. And IBM Canada, 100% owned by IBM USA. And Microsoft Canada, owned 100% by Microsoft USA. And McDonald's, 100% owned by McDonalds, USA. And so on. Regardless, according to Canadian business law, no American corporation can set up shop in Canada without registering as a Canadian corporation, with all the rights and obligations that entails. In other words, what you think of as an American company in Canada is actually Canadian, with only the most tenuous connection to the US.

And you can bet that Walmart, IBM, Microsoft, and McDonald's are not American corporations in Canada. They are Canadian. And thus, with a gift card drawn on Walmart USA, you are trying to get Walmart Canada to honor it. Nope, ain't happening, two different companies in two different countries.

Thing is, that just because a Canadian company shares a name with an American company, does not mean that the Canadian company is the same thing. They can often be quite different.
To add to the confusion, we have this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26W_(Canada)

Old 06-28-2022, 02:09 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
To add to the confusion, we have this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26W_(Canada)
Yes, I had not seen an A&W in years until I came here. Yesterday my sorta-stepson, who kind of takes the night shift with his dad, told me he ran out to A&W at 1 a.m.and got something while the rest of us were sleeping. Apparently it is a 24-hour place.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I had not seen an A&W in years until I came here. Yesterday my sorta-stepson, who kind of takes the night shift with his dad, told me he ran out to A&W at 1 a.m.and got something while the rest of us were sleeping. Apparently it is a 24-hour place.
A quick Google says there are 600 A&W in the US and 1,029 in Canada.

So per capita, a heck of lot more.

A&W really started expanding in the last few years. I think it's because of their " healthy" take on unhealthy food.

"The Canadian restaurant chain - known for revolutionizing the fast food industry by becoming the first national quick service restaurant (QSR) to introduce beef raised without the use of hormones or steroids; chicken raised without the use of antibiotics and eggs from hens fed a vegetarian diet without animal by-products - is now the first QSR to exclusively offer its customers organic, Fair Trade coffee!"

Although in Canada chicken is not
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...offee-Too.html

Old 06-29-2022, 01:58 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Nat (and other Canadian posters), do you remember the A&W Root Bear? He was so popular that the US company asked if they could use him too.

A friend of mine in high school band figured out how to play the Root Bear Theme on tuba.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Nat (and other Canadian posters), do you remember the A&W Root Bear? He was so popular that the US company asked if they could use him too.

A friend of mine in high school band figured out how to play the Root Bear Theme on tuba.
Yes I do.

I also remember the song that came with the earlier commercials.

As kids we played " wedding " and would march down the street in our little procession singing

" Let's all go to A & W !

Foods more fun, at A & W!

We'll have a mug of root beer, or maybe two or three,
Pick a perfect size from the burger family!

Oh, Let's all to to A & W ! "

I haven't checked for accuracy, but thats' how I remember it, and the fact that I do, shows the power of advertising.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Re: the bolded part above, if she is on a disability program through any government agency then she has to have an account with a recognized financial institution in Canada, i.e. a bank or a credit union. In Canada any kinds of pensions or welfare or disability programs benefits must be paid to the recipient via automatic deposit into the recipient's bank or CU account. If the recipient doesn't hold an account with a financial institution then the recipient doesn't get their money. If your friend hasn't opened an account yet in Glace Bay she better do that PDQ - although I'm sure she's already aware of that immediate requirement if she qualifies for disability benefits.

Which leads me to this question. Sheena, forgive me for asking but I'm only asking out of concern for YOU and your own welfare - how well do you know this friend, and for how long? Are you 100% positive you aren't being scammed for money and material goods by an "internet friend" who is wanting to make sure she does not leave any kind of financial paper trail that can be discovered by government agencies that she's getting disability benefits money from?

It seems unusual that a person who is apparently on disability benefits in Vancouver would leave the very good provincial social programs there, sell everything and travel across the country to live in near destitution in a small Atlantic coastal mining town in another province that doesn't have social programs as good as British Columbia's programs.

Good observation.

I hope Sheena comes back and explains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada