U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 11:46 PM

13,130 posts, read 11,656,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueEs View Post
Never in my entire life of living in remote and rural locations have I met people with a greater susceptibility to substance abuse. It is difficult for me to say, not having been trained in neuroscience or genetics, to what extent this comes from their miserable living conditions and angst-laden worldview or some vulnerability in their ability to resist addiction or weigh risks........
Just for clarity, living in remote/rural locations in what parts of what country are you talking about? You haven't listed your country of residence in your profile above.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2022, 04:25 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,409,012 times
Pope Francis is coming to Canada next week to seek reconciliation with the indigenous peoples.
https://www.ncregister.com/commentar...igenous-people

I don’t think Celine will sing for him like she did for Pope John Paul II back in the 1980s.

Last edited by Suesbal; 07-22-2022 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-22-2022, 05:47 PM

22,747 posts, read 13,820,097 times
Would it be unreasonable of me to expect him to arrive bearing a huge cheque?

I'm thinking that we as taxpayers would have a right by NOT having any direct responsibility for native mistreatments, but nevertheless being tagged as the fall guys regardless, instead of having to foot the entire bill for their compensation, should at least expect the Catholic and other faiths having a direct and hands on (no pun intended) participation in their mistreatment indemnifying us to a very large degree.

Nice of him to come and apologize, but those apologies are coming far to cheaply offered in my opinion.

What say y'all?

Old 07-22-2022, 05:52 PM

2,488 posts, read 1,409,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Would it be unreasonable of me to expect him to arrive bearing a huge cheque?

I'm thinking that we as taxpayers would have a right by NOT having any direct responsibility for native mistreatments, but nevertheless being tagged as the fall guys regardless, instead of having to foot the entire bill for their compensation, should at least expect the Catholic and other faiths having a direct and hands on (no pun intended) participation in their mistreatment indemnifying us to a very large degree.

Nice of him to come and apologize, but those apologies are coming far to cheaply offered in my opinion.

What say y'all?
The Church has already paid out a considerable amount of money.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:54 PM

13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Source Please?

Old 07-22-2022, 10:40 PM

13,130 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Are you sure about that? I too would like to see a source with facts and figures paid out by any church.

I have my doubts because I know over the course of the past 20 years or so some of the provincial governments have paid out restitution funds to certain natives who were put in residential schools and survived. But I'm not aware of any churches of any denomination paying out any restitution funds to any natives in any provinces.

Frankly I don't think that any church officials and head honchos would be willing to admit that their churches have been responsible for wrongs that have been done to innocent people. Admitting to something like that would be the same as admitting that their God(s) have been wrong, that their God(s) have made mistakes and are worthy of being criticized. No church is going to admit to something like that or criticize their own God and payment would be an admission of their God's guilt in wrong doings.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:41 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,397,534 times
First Nations are not treated like people. They are marginalized and impoverished.

The lack of clean, safe drinking water in First Nations is one of the greatest violations of the UN-recognized human rights to water and sanitation. Industry has polluted the rivers and lakes they depend on for food, and potable water.

The treaties (between 1701- 1923) promised them their own land of plenty (lie), $5 (equivalent to) a year each person and that the Crown would take care of them like they were children of the Queen. They would be fed and housed and have health care. They were assigned a federal government-appointed agent (Indian agent) to oversee their care. The treaties were broken fairly quickly. There were only a small number of stragglers of bison left because white men were killing them off in the millions then sent the hides to Britain. The tribes starved or killed roaming ranch livestock which was theft. The fur trade trapped out the other living things; deer, elk, moose, rabbits, stoats, martins, bobcats, bears, etc. The Crown put First Nations chiefs in jail where they were spat upon, injured, and remained there indefinitely. Food stuffs meant for tribes were stolen by the Indian agent.

First Nations were not allowed to perform their ceremonies. The Crown made it illegal. Museums took the FN sacred bundles with included their sacred pipe from FN and put them on display. FN never ever showed the bundle in public even in their own tribe. It is so sacred it is guarded and revered. A member of the nation would be chosen as the keeper of the bundle.

There's way more. I could probably write a book on this.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:26 AM

13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cat...vors-1.6524231

Quote:
When 48 Catholic church entities signed on to fundraise $25 million for survivors under the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement, it was spelled out they would do so through their "best efforts."

Ken Young puts it another way.

"It was a weasel clause," the former Manitoba regional chief of the Assembly of First Nations said in a recent interview.

"And they used it."

In total, the campaign raised less than $4 million. It made up one piece of the compensation package Catholic entities agreed to pay under the settlement struck in 2006 with Ottawa, former students and Indigenous leaders.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:08 PM

1,702 posts, read 873,845 times
I may be wrong but it was not just the Catholic Church. The United Church of Canada also ran schools

Old 07-23-2022, 05:32 PM

6,288 posts, read 4,147,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
I may be wrong but it was not just the Catholic Church. The United Church of Canada also ran schools
They ran 15 schools. Article dated Sep 13, 2018:
https://indiancountrytoday.com/archi...iginal-peoples

Quote:
The United Church of Canada officially apologized on August 15, 1986, for its role in the schools.
Quote:
But while Billy thought the first apology was too vague, the United Church offered a second apology in 1998, this time clearly addressing the legacy of residential schools.
Quote:
The church has advocated for aboriginal causes in Canada, including harvesting rights, land claims and the plight of missing and murdered Aboriginal women.

The Aboriginal Ministries Circle—a unit created to advocate for aboriginal inclusion—recently received equal governance within the structure of the United Church, another move that Billy was instrumental in.
Quote:
Noting that aboriginal art and symbolism can now be found in many United Churches—including her own—Billy said it's a small sign that both sides are trying to make reconciliation a reality.
As far as financial compensation is concerned, see this article dated Jul 21, 2021:
Indigenous group applauds United Church’s financial offer to communities impacted by residential schools

Quote:
Bott said that there is not a budget officially set aside yet, but financial compensation is part of the United Church’s ongoing efforts to make amends with Indigenous communities. The United Church paid $6.45 million under the Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement, which helped fund healing supports for survivors. It has since donated millions to various Indigenous ministries, communities, and organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada