U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 05:20 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,755,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I was shopping at an Aldi in Detroit not long ago, and I had no U.S quarters and needed one to insert into the shopping cart. What does a Canadian do in such a circumstance - well i'm not forfeiting my Aldi experience of course lol - SO I used a Canadian quarter - and it worked! Shockingly, the cart you use going in isn't the one you use going out. You see, when i took my the contents out of my cart the cashier loaded them into another cart waiting at the other end with a U.S quarter in it. Well i'm not going to admit to my malfeasance here so I left well enough alone.

Point is - there is a CAD quarter collected by another Aldi Shopper that day in circulation in the Detroit area, and as such CAD coins do end up in circulation in the U.S - at a Local Aldi near you and if you end up with one - pssst you can use it and it can have a purpose

Yes, I too occasionally do find Canadian coins in coin rolls or in change. I've only encountered pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters but someone in the Internet said every once in a while, a Loonie ends up in an American dollar coin roll, presumably because it has the same gold color as our Presidential and Sacagawea dollar coins. I would not try to spend a Loonie here though, I've had enough problems with cashiers thinking our own dollar coins are foreign money .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 08:55 PM

13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yes, I too occasionally do find Canadian coins in coin rolls or in change. I've only encountered pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters but someone in the Internet said every once in a while, a Loonie ends up in an American dollar coin roll, presumably because it has the same gold color as our Presidential and Sacagawea dollar coins. I would not try to spend a Loonie here though, I've had enough problems with cashiers thinking our own dollar coins are foreign money .
Thanks for the laugh UP! Interesting commentary btw. I'll be on the close look out for those Presidential and Sacagawea dollar coins!

Old 07-22-2022, 06:47 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,755,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Thanks for the laugh UP! Interesting commentary btw. I'll be on the close look out for those Presidential and Sacagawea dollar coins!

My pleasure Fusion! I know I must be taking the thread into a new direction and I hope the moderator forgives me (sorry PJ Saturn!) but since we're in the subject matter of circulating coins, which are my interest, I have to make a comment. Gold colored Presidentials and Sacagaweas along with the silver colored Susan B. Anthonys aren't actually that hard to find and they do circulate albeit to a much lesser degree than American $ bills (banknotes) which explains my previous comment. Next time you are in the US, ask a bank teller and I'd say 4 out of 5 times, they'll have some available. Either that or zip a $20 banknote into a transit fare vending machine for one fare only and you should get back the change in dollar coins. Obtain a handful or a roll and take it back to Canada for keepsakes if you like. American 50 cent coins and the very rare ginormous Eisenhower dollar coins are harder to come by but it never hurts to ask. I always ask for "funny money" whenever I'm in Canada.

Old 07-22-2022, 09:51 PM

13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
My pleasure Fusion! I know I must be taking the thread into a new direction and I hope the moderator forgives me (sorry PJ Saturn!) but since we're in the subject matter of circulating coins, which are my interest, I have to make a comment. Gold colored Presidentials and Sacagaweas along with the silver colored Susan B. Anthonys aren't actually that hard to find and they do circulate albeit to a much lesser degree than American $ bills (banknotes) which explains my previous comment. Next time you are in the US, ask a bank teller and I'd say 4 out of 5 times, they'll have some available. Either that or zip a $20 banknote into a transit fare vending machine for one fare only and you should get back the change in dollar coins. Obtain a handful or a roll and take it back to Canada for keepsakes if you like. American 50 cent coins and the very rare ginormous Eisenhower dollar coins are harder to come by but it never hurts to ask. I always ask for "funny money" whenever I'm in Canada.
Thanks for the tips UP - I may just execute one of them! I'm not a huge coin collector, but if I see something different that catches my eye I typically keep them. Canada has a bunch of quarters usually, but also loonies which have themes to them that are circulated on a limited basis, so I have a bunch of those. My thought is, in time they will be worth something more than face value, so its sort of a mini investment. Plus some of them are pretty cool with an interesting background story.

I'm interested in the Susan B. Anthony one because she has an incredible story behind her.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada