Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
B.C. Ontario and Quebec, peas in a pod.

Good luck trading with each other across our borders. You want to drive through you need a passport. Sorry, new management. Border's closed for "renovations". And make sure you fill up in B.C. because our gas pumps are only open for Prairie citizens and Europe.

Don't come here Trudeau. Prairies are off limits to you. If you want to get to B.C. you will have to fly over American airspace.

USA: No pipeline from Alaska is going to come through here anymore except with a 25% royalty on every bbl. Well, if USA can set a 25% tarriff on our essential exports then right back at ya!
Good luck getting your goods to market without a harbour to ship from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 03:14 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Good luck getting your goods to market without a harbour to ship from.
Hudson's Bay could do with the business.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I hope Alberta has enough canoes.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:07 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I hope Alberta has enough canoes.
About 2 or 3 ago, I posted a link to an article about how researchers in Alberta had developed a way to turn heavy crude into puck or pellet form for safe transport. I occasionally checked CN’s website for updates, but never saw any.
Quote:
CanaPuxâ„¢ technology is an innovative and safe way to transport extra-heavy crude, also known as bitumen in Canada. The extra-heavy crude is blended with polymer to form a solid pellet that can be transported to global markets using the same infrastructure as coal or petroleum coke. At the end of their journey the pellets can be re-liquified and the polymer can be separated and reused. The CanaPuxâ„¢ concept was developed by CN in conjunction with InnoTech Alberta.
https://www.cn.ca/en/your-industry/p...icals/canapux/

So, I was quite surprised when Pierre Poilievre raised the subject this past April during a campaign stop in Winnipeg. I don’t even know if the Pux have been determined to be commercially feasible and Poilievre is no expert.
Quote:
Pierre Poilievre announced today that as Prime Minister of Canada, he would unlock the potential of Canada’s Arctic Ports and get Canadian oil moving through the Port of Churchill in Manitoba. The successful upgrade and completion of the Port would allow Canada to ship an additional 100,000 barrels of oil via CanaPux, a revolutionary and safe way to transport oil, per day.

If a pipeline was to go to the Port, export capacity could increase by an additional 200,000 barrels of oil per day.
https://www.pierre4pm.ca/poilievre_w...d_overseas_oil

With climate change and resultant ground heave, I don’t know if the rail line to Churchill would be dependable. His second idea of a pipeline (last sentence) would be a non starter.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:42 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm of the age of having had to listen to this separation nonsense for it's entirety, save for the bit involving Louis Riel that could arguably be said to be the genesis for all of this separation blather.

"Running away from home" has been a traditional threat resorted to by virtually every immature voice at least once in their life.

The folly of that threat usually comes as a learning lesson within a heartbeat of it leaving our lips when we were handed the paper sack containing a peanut butter sanny and an apple while told to not bother taking any of the clothes purchased with dad's hard earned paycheque, "they'll fit your brother next year".
You’re a regular H.L. Mencken.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:43 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Peter Pepper for PM!

Old 08-10-2022, 06:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
I don't think so, at least Hudson's Bay couldn't be open for foreign trade purposes. All of Hudson's Bay in it's entirety to all provincial coastlines, including surface ice and any of its islands is territory belonging to and under the control of Nunavut. Also it's shallow and is uniquely environmentally sensitive due to being much less saline than sea/ocean water, and it's closed by ice for around 9+ months of the year. So that's just some of the reasons (there are more reasons) why there will never be oil product pipelines going to ports in the Bay nor tankers or other sea vessels carrying heavy cargo allowed within Hudson's Bay or in its mouth. Other interests wanting to use Hudson's Bay for transporting or receiving other smaller volumes of trade goods have to get permission and make arrangements with Nunavut's government, and with the Crown and Canada's federal government.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Pierre Poilievre announced today that as Prime Minister of Canada, he would unlock the potential of Canada’s Arctic Ports and get Canadian oil moving through the Port of Churchill in Manitoba.
I guess Poilievre doesn't know much about Canada's geography or the Hudson's Bay shallowness or the reasons for why there's only 3 small open ports on the Bay, Churchill's being the largest port (I understand it's quite small at that).

I wouldn't feel comfortable about having a Prime Minister who makes impossible promises like the above when he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about or why it can't be done.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The Canadian population density is heaviest at Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City and Montreal and other "Great Lakes" cities, thereby forming an electorate whose votes determine who wins the title of Prime Minister even before polls are cast or counted in western Canada.
You seem to forget in 2011 the Conservative Party under Stephen Harper won 73 of his 166 seat majority in Ontario. By far the largest seat count of any Province in the election. The 905 (metro Toronto) was heavily conservative, as were other large populated areas of the Province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_C...deral_election

Right now, Ontario is led by a Conservative government. Right now the Conservatives garner more support among youth than any party, which is a good sign for them. Look at the last two lacklustre Conservative leaders the party has had. So blaming everything on B.C, Quebec and Ontario is out of place here.

I'm far from being a big Trudeau supporter. I'm a Liberal but not a blind one, and I've written many times in this forum, i'm not happy with Justin Trudeau

That all said, your tone in here is not helpful to the Conservative cause, it is a repelling force. Humans typically don't respond well to threats and ultimatums. Blue one's or Red one's. A shame really because outside some of your wacky outbursts, you have made some good points in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

how badly the Liberals have treated Manitoba. Compared to Ontario and Quebec, we’re not worth bribing for potential votes.
It would be good if you expanded on this actually. You are not a poster who I consider is a 'whiner' - you seem logical your points well thought out and researched. I would like to know because admittedly, I don't get much perspective from Manitobans.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-10-2022 at 08:21 PM..

Old 08-10-2022, 07:49 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
You’re a regular H.L. Mencken.
Well yes, as it happens, I am regular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada