U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 05:31 PM

13,674 posts, read 13,972,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Meh. I've had the same thing happening to me when I lived in Ontario, and my car had Ontario plates. Stupid drivers are stupid drivers, no matter where they come from; and there's always somebody who considers "normal flow of traffic" to be a race of some sort. A race that they absolutely must win. I always wonder what the prize for beating me to the red light is.

Interestingly, when I've driven my car (with Alberta plates) to Ontario, all the Ontario drivers, seeing my Alberta plate, give me a wide berth, like they expect me to do something stupid. Of course, I lived in Toronto for years, and know the highways and expressways, and know my way around. More importantly, I know how Ontario drivers drive.

But it is so nice that these Ontario drivers stay away from a "foreign" plated car. Makes lane changes in order to get to an exit in Toronto freeway interchanges so much easier. I'm not trying to change lanes into a 20-foot space at 100 km/h; all I need do is put on my signal, and a 60-foot, or more, space opens up. Yay me!

But when I fly into Pearson and rent a car, it's got Ontario plates, and I have to recall all the skills I learned driving in Toronto. I'm given no quarter, nor should I be--I'm driving an Ontario-plated car. Thankfully, I know how to deal with Ontario drivers.
Fair enough Chevy - and probably I just noticed them more because I wasn't from there. Drivers everywhere though should just chill out. It isn't worth the extra few minutes you save out of your life, driving like a maniac which means your trip entails far more risk than it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I guess if you have no real mountains, bluffs will have to do.
Toronto has quite a few rivers and ravines and is ofc right on a large and deep lake so we could do worse nature wise. But yeah - there's just something about mountains!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 06:10 PM

9,340 posts, read 3,845,294 times
Quote:
And, as so often happens, poll respondents had never been to, visited, or knew anybody in Alberta. At least, I assume so, because such views don't tend to come from people who have visited Alberta.

An anecdote is never data, but I'll offer the example of an old friend of mine from Ontario, who has visited twice. This guy is as conservative as they come, and it always blew him away that we in Alberta have (gasp!) black people out here. And some kind of south Asian brown people! And Muslims! And Jews! And openly gay people! And they're all treated equally! And Pride Parades and Festivals! And rainbow crosswalks! Abortion is legal! Nobody needs an AR-15! And so on and so on.

And running water! And indoor plumbing! And cable TV! And public libraries!

Okay, the latter was meant to elicit a smile, but the former was not--Alberta is actually pretty diverse, in terms of ethnicity, race, religion, sexuality, sexual identity, and so on. Thing is, you're not going to see that if you've never been to Alberta. You'll just assume, as so many non-Albertans, who have never visited Alberta, do: "Alberta is white, English-speaking, and intolerant of all of those who are not either, and who are not heterosexual." Not true, and I say that as an Albertan.

Alberta's recent efforts to advertise "come to Alberta" are not necessarily futile. If they can cause one or more people to change their minds from "Alberta's a conservative redneck province where beef is eaten, my electric car is not welcome, and vegetarianism is unknown" to "Maybe I've short-shifted Alberta, and should give it a chance," then they have done their job. Hey, even Fort MacLeod has a Tesla charging station--so, Tesla and other EV owners, you're covered. Come visit!
Alberta is still too redneck at times. The vandalism of LBGT crosswalks and such. The attacks on black Muslim wimen in Edmonton for another. I live in Medicine Hat which is about as white and conservative as can be. But I do not think there is much advertly racism oe homophophic or hate as utbis a more livevand let live unless you are anti Oil or pro Trudeau.

But its gotten to big as it now takes me more than 20 minutes to bicycle out of town in two of the directions. We did have a NDP MLA but now onevthat was kucked out of the UCO for being to radical.

As far as conswrvatives go we are so far away from a Lougheed or even King Klein moderate that it probably does not matter who becomes leader. Just a matter of how much damage they can inflict. Well.maybe Smith would be the worse.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:02 PM

17,499 posts, read 13,244,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Fair enough Chevy - and probably I just noticed them more because I wasn't from there. Drivers everywhere though should just chill out. It isn't worth the extra few minutes you save out of your life, driving like a maniac which means your trip entails far more risk than it should.

Toronto has quite a few rivers and ravines and is ofc right on a large and deep lake so we could do worse nature wise. But yeah - there's just something about mountains!
I do love the ravines parks in Toronto. I used to run through some with a friend back in the day.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:04 AM

22,925 posts, read 14,208,843 times
Chuckling at these latest as being so far removed from Kenney's target audience so as to be the opposite of whom he's enticing.

Have been at one time or another to most of Canada's major cities and quite a few minor ones.

Once competed in "scrambles" events (motocross for yungun's) on what was then known as Calgary's North Hill where the course was laid out among tall natural grasses with spectacular views of the city proper. On many years later visits found the area covered in housing subdivisions.

I too jogged in Rosedale ravines in T/O when all you needed to concern yourself with was the errant racoon or skunk during later evening hours.

B.C., or more exactly, Esquimalt was my home for the few years of RCN membership. Back then Victoria was known as the Las Angeles (LaLaLand) of the north with everything financed on Chargex Cards, even the ubiquitous yellow Bombardier snow machines, when first introduced, found their way onto some front lawns out in Sooke in an area that was lucky to get 2" of snow the entire winter.

Halifax, for the few times I attended courses on the east coast, still gave reminiscent vibes of it's earlier visible racism. We were at the time cautioned against venturing alone into the section of the city then still referred to as "Africville". We were admonished by our CPO's, that if stupid enough to go out there in our uniforms to make sure our silks and lanyards were split behind the neck under our collars, lest they be used to choke us from behind while an accomplice went through our pockets. We were even shown how to accomplish this by using just enough light thread to stitch them together so they parted easily if grabbed from behind - those were the day's, aye!

All areas of the country have attractive aspects along with also having those unattractive features.

Gotta say however, that Kenney and his "higher wages and lower taxes" pitch seems just another small spike driven into the long list of those items threatening our already very fragile unification foundations of Canada.

Surely, if people are, or would be considering, moving to another province they'd firstly perform their own due diligence research?

Old 08-23-2022, 02:03 AM

3,254 posts, read 2,725,252 times
Quote:
I do love the ravines parks in Toronto. I used to run through some with a friend back in the day.
I loved how Toronto has "park chains," where Alexander Muir Park becomes Blythwood Ravine, which becomes Sherwood Park, which becomes Sunnybrook Park, which becomes Serena Gundy Park, which becomes Ernest Thompson Seton Park; and before you know it, you've gone from Yonge and Lawrence to Victoria Park and the Danforth. In nothing but parks. I used to ride my bike through all of them.

I now live in Lethbridge, Alberta, and we have park chains too. One just behind my house, where I sometimes ride my bike or go for a walk, and I can do so for a mile or more in either direction. But we also have "the coulees," as we call them, which is a deep river valley separating our city. Makes the Don Valley in Toronto look like nothing, as it's over a mile wide and 300 feet deep. But with nice hiking and biking trails.

Nat, if you want to have a pleasant run, may I suggest Lethbridge sometime? Hey, I'll be happy to buy the first round after your run.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I loved how Toronto has "park chains," where Alexander Muir Park becomes Blythwood Ravine, which becomes Sherwood Park, which becomes Sunnybrook Park, which becomes Serena Gundy Park, which becomes Ernest Thompson Seton Park; and before you know it, you've gone from Yonge and Lawrence to Victoria Park and the Danforth. In nothing but parks. I used to ride my bike through all of them.

I now live in Lethbridge, Alberta, and we have park chains too. One just behind my house, where I sometimes ride my bike or go for a walk, and I can do so for a mile or more in either direction. But we also have "the coulees," as we call them, which is a deep river valley separating our city. Makes the Don Valley in Toronto look like nothing, as it's over a mile wide and 300 feet deep. But with nice hiking and biking trails.

Nat, if you want to have a pleasant run, may I suggest Lethbridge sometime? Hey, I'll be happy to buy the first round after your run.
I'm afraid it might have to be a hike! I haven't run in a few years, although I think about it a lot

Old 08-23-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid it might have to be a hike! I haven't run in a few years, although I think about it a lot
Arthritis?

Old 08-24-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Arthritis?

I actually do have a bit in one hand, but my legs are in great shape.

Old 08-25-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I actually do have a bit in one hand, but my legs are in great shape.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:44 AM

12 posts, read 7,621 times
Just curious because I live in Alberta some people want Alberta to separate from Canada and become it's now Country and then join the United States.

If Alberta were to become it's own country how many years around would it take for Alberta to join the joined the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada