U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2022, 02:40 PM

17,532 posts, read 13,282,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In fairness, I don't think it was the Toronto teams themselves who went out and did it, but rather a marketing company that was producing caps and t-shirts for all teams in the league and slapped a "local" (sic) signature food on them.

Though presumably the Toronto teams did approve it at some point.
I looked them up. New Era media, based in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Which takes this back to post #34.

Poutine is seen outside of Canada, as a Canadian dish, so an American marketing firm made the same mistake.

How it got approved and by whom, would clarify " usurped as a "local delicacy" by other parts of Canada."

My guess is that the marketing in this case was done for the whole MLB and perhaps the Blue Jays didn't have any input. After all, the MLB is a US organization, and the Blue Jays CEO Mark Shapiro is American.

Whoever it was, the hats were removed fairly quickly, and personally I wouldn't be so quick to blame " other parts of Canada ".

I can't find anything about the Raptors and poutine so far.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 06:19 PM

13,704 posts, read 14,006,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I looked them up. New Era media, based in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Which takes this back to post #34.

Poutine is seen outside of Canada, as a Canadian dish, so an American marketing firm made the same mistake.

How it got approved and by whom, would clarify " usurped as a "local delicacy" by other parts of Canada."

My guess is that the marketing in this case was done for the whole MLB and perhaps the Blue Jays didn't have any input. After all, the MLB is a US organization, and the Blue Jays CEO Mark Shapiro is American.

Whoever it was, the hats were removed fairly quickly, and personally I wouldn't be so quick to blame " other parts of Canada ".

I can't find anything about the Raptors and poutine so far.
Oh man I was too trusting of AJ

As the Blue Jays too trusting of New Era Media. That said, Rogers owns the Jays so maybe they should be the blame of this Poutine pandemonium. Oh wait, maybe Ed Rogers was too busy fighting for control of the company to notice

Old 10-14-2022, 07:32 PM

3,255 posts, read 2,734,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Proof that poutine is seen by Americans, and other foreigners, as a Canadian dish comes from a thread we had here in the Canada forum, back in June of 2020. Here's the OP:

Quote:
Just a goofy question. I've loved Corner Gas for years, and folks are always ordering fries & gravy. Is fries and gravy a popular food in Saskatchewan, or did they just simplify poutine because the show would be seen by Americans who would be confused and say "what the heck is poutine?" BTW, I was making fries and gravy for my husband, a native of western Pennsylvania, 40 years ago. We enjoy it poutinized now and then too.
Link to the thread from which this OP came, if anyone would like to review it:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cana...ies-gravy.html

Old 10-15-2022, 12:27 PM

17,532 posts, read 13,282,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh man I was too trusting of AJ

As the Blue Jays too trusting of New Era Media. That said, Rogers owns the Jays so maybe they should be the blame of this Poutine pandemonium. Oh wait, maybe Ed Rogers was too busy fighting for control of the company to notice
Well he did step back a bit in post #69

Old 10-15-2022, 03:41 PM

98,634 posts, read 97,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillness&Samadhi View Post
I retired early from the tech industry and cashed out all of my stock shares. I have to be honest though, moving to Canada requires you to be a little more frugal since the cost of living (in B.C. at least) is definitely higher than many places in the U.S., especially real estate. But I would say I'm much happier here than I ever was back in the U.S.; I live outside of Van in Coquitlam, about an hour away.
I don't understand your explanation. I was told on this forum, that there is no retirement-related immigration type of visa for Canada: no "investor" category, or "geezer visa" (financially independent retirees), like in some countries. Could you clarify?

Old 10-15-2022, 11:53 PM

1,613 posts, read 782,979 times
" .... cashed out all of my stock shares."

The link below is related to British Columbia only.
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/documents-folder/BC-PNP-Entrepreneur-Immigration-Program-Guide.aspx
BC Provincial Nominee Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada